Is this a good idea for medical school

ameer91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really good at math compared to biology or biochemistry so I want to do a major in math. I also might do a minor in biochemistry to help me for the MCAT. Do you think math would be a good idea. Also, can anyone tell me any 2 year undergraduate programs in the USA or Canada.

Members don't see this ad.

I know you are in high school and are unfamiliar with these forums, but please post your questions in the hSDN forum or the pre-allopathic forum. This is a forum for medical students.

You may want to spend some time searching before creating new threads, because your questions have been answered hundreds of times in the pre-allopathic forum.

In general: your major doesn't matter, as long as you do well. I don't know of any 2 year undergraduate programs. Generally it takes 4 years to earn an undergraduate degree. It is possible to graduate in less than 4 years if you take more than full time units, but doing this would give you no advantage in terms of medical school admission prospects.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As said above, there are no 2 year bachelors programs. You may be able to graduate in 3 years (and have no social life because you are taking so many classes w/ summer classes) but it will be of no benefit to you. A math major is good if that is your thing, but you don't really need to minor in biochem (if the college you are looking that even has that as a minor).

As a foreign student I'm sure you are used to the MBBS system or a similar one. The road to MD in the U.S. Is a long ine

Two year undergrad programs are non-existent. Major in math if you want, it's your choice. How do you know that you wouldn't do good in biochem if you've never taken it before ( have you taken biochem)? And why would you minor in biochem if you aren't good at it....that makes no sense. Don't major/minor in something just to help you; chances are you will be miserable.

Last edited:
I am really good at math compared to biology or biochemistry so I want to do a major in math. I also might do a minor in biochemistry to help me for the MCAT. Do you think math would be a good idea. Also, can anyone tell me any 2 year undergraduate programs in the USA or Canada.

I knew someone who majored in Sociology, took the basic premed courses, got a 3.9 GPA overall and had a 36+ MCAT, he was my resident assistant in undergraduate, and he went to Yale medical school.

Your major is the not the issue, you can choose whatever you want to study. In most countries high school students go directly into medical school, this is the case in most European countries, also in Japan.

Reactions: 1 user

Biochemistry minor is unnecessary. Math is a fantastic major choice. I wish I had considered it more carefully. Look into physiology, it might be more suitable to your tastes if you're mathematically inclined.