Is this a good school list?! (cGPA 3.8, sGPA 3.8, MCAT 27)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GameNameJames

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have good extracurriculars. Middle Eastern decent. MCAT sub score (11ps/7v/9bs) = 27. Also, does anyone think that getting a (10/8/9) would have been a better 27? I am applying next cycle. I know these are a lot of schools, but I do not care where I go as long as I get to practice medicine.
I don't want to retake the mcat because English is my second language so I do not want to retake solely to raise VR.

Let me know what you guys think about this list!
  1. Oakland
  2. Frank Netter
  3. Loma Linda
  4. Creighton
  5. Loyola
  6. St. Louis
  7. Georgetown
  8. UC Riverside
  9. UC Davis
  10. New York Medical College
  11. Marshall U- West Virginia
  12. Albany
  13. Western Michigan
  14. Drexel
  15. Temple
  16. Jefferson
  17. Rosalind Franklin
  18. U of A (Tuscon and Phoenix)
  19. Rush
  20. Medical College of Wisconsin
  21. Commonwealth
  22. Sanford
  23. Florida State U
  24. University of Illinois
If it opens: Cal Northstate and King VA

DO: A.T Still, Western, Touro-Vallejo and New York, NYITCOM, PNWUCOM, UNECOM, and westernU/Comp-northwest.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Way too many state schools that you have a low chance at. Aim for private. What state do you reside in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Too many state schools. You are going to be a long shot at a good chunk of those schools no matter what your stats are. Remove Central Michigan, South Carolina, etc... And find some private schools that match your stats and interests

I'd take out UofI, 80% of their accepted students are in-state and most of the OOS students are higher than the average in order to get accepted. Similarly with Michigan State, and I imagine Florida and some others. Central Michigan wants physicians who are going to STAY in rural central/north Michigan - so if you're realllllly interested in doing that, you might have a chance. But not if you're just looking to do medical school and jump out.

Thanks guys, so do you think the rest are good?

GPA?

Areyou religious? Christian? May want to reconsider Loma Linda. Although they are SDA, I've never known a student/grad who was SDA, buy they have all been religious, active in their church, & Christian.

Do you have the MSAR? i'm wondering how you made your list. Schools I'd consider, GW, Toledo, Cincinnati, FIU ....but look to see what their OOS statslook like these days (except GW), b/c it's been a while since I checked. Also go into the forum for Utah.& see what their MS1 class looks like. Their state cut funding, so they were taking a lot of CA apps for a while.

Check out VT too.

Also,could you make a compelling app for any of the historically black schools?

No shot at Sanford - HUGE IS bias.

Reactions: 1 user
My gpa is a 3.8. Yes I am Christian and can get a letter from a priest for Loma Linda but I do not know if they would even care about that because they are SDA which is another sect of christianity I believe. Yes, I have MSAR. I made my list by going through every school and seeing the median MCAT they have been accepting and looking at the 10th percentile they accept for Verbal because my verbal is somewhat pathetic, but I am hoping to receive some leniency from schools because English is my second language. I will look up those schools that you have recommended! However, do you think that I have a shot at most schools on my list? I do not know if I can make a case at black schools because as a Middle Eastern, I can apply as either "white" or "other" because there is no "Middle Eastern" option. @Plecopotamus

Yes, I have MSAR. I made my list by going through every school and seeing the median MCAT they have been accepting and looking at the 10th percentile they accept for Verbal because my verbal is somewhat pathetic

However, do you think that I have a shot at most schools on my list? @Plecopotamus

I think we are saying to go through your school list and look at it a little more closely. What is the IS/OOS ratio? Because Sanford accepts like 99% South Dakota residents. And a few other schools, Central Michigan for example, focus in rural medicine in the state they are located. Go through and do some research on those schools.

You also need to look at the "Acceptance Information" tab because that tells how the % IS/OOS.
You will not be taken seriously at the HBCs, because Arabs/Middle Easterners etc are considered Caucasian.
A MCAT of 27 is circling the drain for MD schools.

Goro suggests
Frank Netter
Loma Linda
New York Medical College
  1. Albany
  2. Western Michigan
  3. Rosalind Franklin
  4. Medical College of Wisconsin
  5. Commonwealth
  6. TUNCOM
  7. A.T Still (MO and AZ)
  8. Western, Touro-Vallejo and New York, NYITCOM, PNWUCOM, and westernU/Comp-northwest
  9. Any other DO program, except AZCOM and LUCOM. UNE has a regional bias. Ditto MSU, OH and OK schools.

Thank you guys for all your help. I will look through MSAR at every school and make a new and improved list ASAP.

@Goro I have been reading many posts on different opinions about the MD/DO residency merger and I understand what is happening. I just wanted to ask you how will this really affect DO's? Is it better for us? (p.s. You know everything about DO's so I just wanted to see what you believe the effect of the merger will be)

I believe that it will open up more doors for DO grads.

Thank you guys for all your help. I will look through MSAR at every school and make a new and improved list ASAP.

@Goro I have been reading many posts on different opinions about the MD/DO residency merger and I understand what is happening. I just wanted to ask you how will this really affect DO's? Is it better for us? (p.s. You know everything about DO's so I just wanted to see what you believe the effect of the merger will be)