Is this a problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Keratosis_P

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
tl;dr Peer and I will both be applying to Derm and would prefer our home program, but his spouse will be a PGY3 Derm resident here when we apply.

Peer and I (M2) are both on the path to Derm, working with our home department on projects, etcetera. Peer's spouse is a Derm resident at our home program, a program we are more statistically more likely to match to within this specialty. All other factors aside, in general, do programs value spouse with spouse in Derm programs?

Things to know:
1. Program has two spots/year
2. Program has never matched more than 1 spot from home medical school in any year
3. Program is not top 10

Sincerely,
Keratosis_P

Members don't see this ad.

It is all who you know, this person is involved with one of the residents so yes it does matter. You do not know if they plan to stay in the area either though so do not count yourself out.

tl;dr Peer and I will both be applying to Derm and would prefer our home program, but his spouse will be a PGY3 Derm resident here when we apply.

Peer and I (M2) are both on the path to Derm, working with our home department on projects, etcetera. Peer's spouse is a Derm resident at our home program, a program we are more statistically more likely to match to within this specialty. All other factors aside, in general, do programs value spouse with spouse in Derm programs?

Things to know:
1. Program has two spots/year
2. Program has never matched more than 1 spot from home medical school in any year
3. Program is not top 10

Sincerely,
Keratosis_P

It definitely helps to have a connection within the department. I don't think that would be enough to scare me off from applying for dermatology if that's what I really want to do however. There are other programs out there beyond your home program (and it's no guarantee they would opt for the spouse over you if you are the superior candidate)