Is this a realistic goal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

antispatula

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I've just begun looking into podiatry.

Can I be a podiatrists that consistently does surgery, works in private practice, works 40 hours a week, and makes, after 5 years in practice, at least $150,000/year?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I appreciate the link. I have already read all available topics on salary. Im more interested in if my hours worked vs salary suggestion is realistic.

Members don't see this ad :)
You would be better off asking your local podiatrist. There are lots of factors that go into your income and even more that go into the type of business you will run/be a part of.

If you work hard in school and in residency, you will meet and exceed this goal.

This is one of those questions everyone wants to know - can I make upper-middle class income that will allow me to pay-off my loans. I have no comment.

I would recommend you explore your questions. What does "consistently does surgery" mean (and heck, what type of surgery does that mean)? What does private practice mean? Does that mean your own business? Because if you own your own business you are going to do whatever it takes to succeed and that probably doesn't include walking in at 7:55 and leaving at 5:01.

Anyway, I don't know about salary, but I'm sure there are people who want what you want and will get it. All I ask is that you don't blend all the things podiatry can be into 1 thing. I occasionally hear some variation of - oh podiatry, great lifestyle, solver of diabetic emergencies, and orthopedic surgeon-lite. I don't personally believes you can be all those things at once, but what do I know.

In my experience, the folks who are top students and go on a competitive residency tend have a strong work ethic. Groups that hire those stellar residents will probably give them starting offer above the 150k figure you quoted. Just something to think about. Want a great salary? Don't be afraid to work hard.

Last edited: