Is this an acceptable way to raise my GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miketheghost19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated from a top 20 undergrad with a 3.47 cGPA and 3.3 sGPA. I have taken all the pre-reqs as well as some additional upper level science classes. I want to boost my GPA up a little bit to become more competitive. Would it be alright to take a few upper level science courses such as microbiology and human anatomy and physiology at a community college? I would take 15 credits for the semester so I would still be taking a full course load. Any advice would be really appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not too sure if classes offered at community colleges are "easier" like most people think, but microbiology and A&P aren't too hard regardless so I'm sure you will do well either route. If you really want to boost your GPA you could take less classes per semester and give more focus to 3 or 4 courses as opposed to 6 or 7, but it all depends on your schedule and wetter you'd graduate on time.

I just graduated from a top 20 undergrad with a 3.47 cGPA and 3.4 sGPA. I have taken all the pre-reqs as well as some additional upper level science classes. I want to boost my GPA up a little bit to become more competitive. Would it be alright to take a few upper level science courses such as microbiology and human anatomy and physiology at a community college? I would take 15 credits for the semester so I would still be taking a full course load. Any advice would be really appreciated :)

I think they would be seen pretty much for exactly what they are; courses taken for the GPA/sGPA boost. If you want that boost, I'd find a more targeted set of classes. That way, if/when you got asked about those courses at an interview you can say that you wanted to explore a different area of study.
I would also say that I am guessing even a 4.0 for 15 credits won't be a huge boost to your transcript (maybe up to a 3.50 and 3.45)--a much better use of your time and resources would probably be full-time volunteering. You get to be philanthropic, gain clinical experience, and explore something you're ACTUALLY interested in.