Is this BS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Afualo12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our assistant dean told our class president to send us the following letter. Is this BS? Have any of you heard the same thing at your school?

"Every 7-8 years the national board association in accordance with the ADA look at trends regarding the exam and determine how the curve should be altered. Unfortunately, our assistant dean informed me that her and her colleagues across the nation were sent an email by the NBDE people that this year schools and students should expect increased failure rate as they have re-done questions and the way they are asked. (please do not ask me when this will be put into effect -- I'm telling you what the assistant dean told me: this is already done and set in stone and will be likely what we face when taking the exam)

The assistant dean told me the last cycle this happened, about 8 years ago, the class experienced a 30% increase in first-time failure rates in comparison to prior classes. She wanted me to relay this information to our class not necessarily to freak us out but to let us know that it is 100 out of our school's control and that studying for the part 2s should not be taken as lightly as the part 1s.

She has been emailed numerous times from the boards committee and this is in no way, shape, or form fake or a method to scare us -- so please don't ask me if this is true or not -- it just happens to be the crappy cards our lucky year is being dealt!"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

From the ADA:

Page 47 and 49: http://www.ada.org/~/media/JCNDE/pdfs/ADEA_NBDE_Update_March2016.pdf?la=en

Part I shows a very small increase from the last time the test was updated.
Part II shows a much higher increase in failure rates.

It looks like we're all in the same boat in terms of being unlucky.
I've also been hearing about part I and II being combined which may start with class of 2021, but I didn't look into it very much