Is this class useless for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Svetlana1227

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My priority classes to take are of course genetics, organic chemistry, biochemistry, and physiology, but all these classes are currently full. Well, organic chemistry is a different story. Only Organic Chemistry II is offered in the Spring Semester, and I didn't take I yet. I was then going to go with Microbiology or even Immunology, but they're both filled too for now ...

I'm wondering how useful - if at all - Human Biology would be based on the syllabus? What do you think from your experiences?

http://www.ncas.rutgers.edu/sites/fasn/files/Syll. Human Biol 111 Fall 2015.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

There looks like there could be some information that will be useful in the Human Biology class, but I do not think it will be much.

In week 1 it says the course covers the Brain which is on the MCAT, but I am not sure exactly what that course test on the brain.

The main classes that you need for the new MCAT are Biology I, Chem I and II, Organic Chem I, Physics I and II. Also, if you can take human physiology that class will be useful, but not everything in human physiology will be tested on the MCAT.

College classes that have the same subject as those on the MCAT are good, but the MCAT does not typically go into as much detail as those college classes or cover a different amount of material.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely vote for taking a psych or sociology class if you can fit that in. There's just so many psych/soc terms within the scope of the MCAT that are understandable from self-studying alone, but make so much more sense if you have examples or broader knowledge to draw from.

But about that human biology course - it looks like it mainly focuses on neurochemistry, drugs and the reward circuit. As far as straight-up knowledge goes, this isn't going to help you much on the test, especially since the new exam has somewhat less physiology than the old one. However, it completely depends on how the course is taught. Have you talked to anyone else who's taken it? Is it mainly memorization / lecture, or does it include physiological reasoning, the reading and interpretation of journal articles, etc.?

Personally, the most helpful course I ever took for the MCAT was a physiology course. Virtually everything we learned was more in-depth than the MCAT would ever test, and quite a bit was entirely out of scope. But the professor was great and all exams were structured as "clinical" questions - a patient presents with these problems, what will happen next if a drug is administered to stimulate this system, etc. Learning to reason through dense science material is more helpful (in my opinion) than virtually any content you could pick up from a college course.

There looks like there could be some information that will be useful in the Human Biology class, but I do not think it will be much.

In week 1 it says the course covers the Brain which is on the MCAT, but I am not sure exactly what that course test on the brain.

The main classes that you need for the new MCAT are Biology I, Chem I and II, Organic Chem I, Physics I and II. Also, if you can take human physiology that class will be useful, but not everything in human physiology will be tested on the MCAT.

College classes that have the same subject as those on the MCAT are good, but the MCAT does not typically go into as much detail as those college classes or cover a different amount of material.

This is a really helpful reply, thanks! Yeah, I figured the very first lessons might mean something, but not so much in the lessons after that. Although I LOVE the topics, I don't want to be wasting my time when I want to take the MCAT quickly, and it doesn't help that this class runs from 6pm-9pm. My mom is not keen on driving me home at 9pm at night from Newark, LOL. I don't think I'm going to go through with it.

Luckily I have all my base classes covered. I finished basic biology, chem I, chem II, and finishing up Physics I this semester. Next semester I'll be taking Physics II and I'll probably do Orgo I and II over the summer so I can take Biochem in the fall :)

I would definitely vote for taking a psych or sociology class if you can fit that in. There's just so many psych/soc terms within the scope of the MCAT that are understandable from self-studying alone, but make so much more sense if you have examples or broader knowledge to draw from.

But about that human biology course - it looks like it mainly focuses on neurochemistry, drugs and the reward circuit. As far as straight-up knowledge goes, this isn't going to help you much on the test, especially since the new exam has somewhat less physiology than the old one. However, it completely depends on how the course is taught. Have you talked to anyone else who's taken it? Is it mainly memorization / lecture, or does it include physiological reasoning, the reading and interpretation of journal articles, etc.?

Personally, the most helpful course I ever took for the MCAT was a physiology course. Virtually everything we learned was more in-depth than the MCAT would ever test, and quite a bit was entirely out of scope. But the professor was great and all exams were structured as "clinical" questions - a patient presents with these problems, what will happen next if a drug is administered to stimulate this system, etc. Learning to reason through dense science material is more helpful (in my opinion) than virtually any content you could pick up from a college course.

Thank you! I've taken 2 Psy classes about 2 years ago, so I think it'll do. The information from those classes tends to stick with me. As far as sociology goes, I've heard that may be important, but I have no more room to fit it as my Humanities credit have been filled. Will something like that be covered in Exam Krackers or Kaplan ... ?

That's unfortunate, as I'm interested in physiology, but thanks for the heads up! I probably won't take this class as I've said in the reply above. I'm doing al ot of physiological reasoning and journal interpretation in my Ecology class and lab, so I should be covered :)

I know I need to take Physiology (it's called Mammalian Physiology here). I hope the class opens up! I've been checking about 10 times a day, lol.

Quick question guys. Do you think this class would be a better choice? With this class, I'm not sure AT ALL if anything here will be useful. Sure, it sounds interesting, but will the MCAT focus on this at all? Maybe I'll take this over Human Biology due to the time it runs. I have to get Biology credits any way as a Biology major.

Class Syllabus:

http://biology.njit.edu/docs/biol_337-S14.pdf

I really like this new class you just posted. This will get you thinking like an MCAT student, and that mindset is so much more important than any rote memorization of scientific facts. Whereas the other class will teach you how to regurgitate neurobiology, this one will get you thinking critically. It also looks reading-heavy, which is important; reading comprehension is a MUST for all sections of the MCAT. If I were you I'd take 337 and skip the first class.

I really like this new class you just posted. This will get you thinking like an MCAT student, and that mindset is so much more important than any rote memorization of scientific facts. Whereas the other class will teach you how to regurgitate neurobiology, this one will get you thinking critically. It also looks reading-heavy, which is important; reading comprehension is a MUST for all sections of the MCAT. If I were you I'd take 337 and skip the first class.

Good to know, thanks so much! I think I will do just that. Still crossing my fingers for genetics and physiology to open :)

Physiology is important not only for the MCAT but it will help you tremendously (if you have a sold base in it) in med school
It is a big chunk of a lot medical schools first year course as is (and any leg up you can give yourself ahead of time is a plus)
Then in 2nd year you get Path (physio gone bad), Pharm (drug activates/blocks a certain receptor & you can predict the effects)