Is this clinical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alphamine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've already had an interview for a different clinical experience, but I'm also going to apply to a different ER. In this one, most of my job duties are going to be rounding and offering water, blankets, etc. and then cleaning empty treatment rooms. I won't really get an opportunity to talk to patients I don't think.

Also, do you think I'll be cleaning up blood and vomit and stuff in the treatment rooms? I heard that only CNAs are certified to do that because they need to record the amount there is or something. I'm not bothered by it, I'll still apply if that's the case. I'm just wondering what they mean by it.

Members don't see this ad.

I've already had an interview for a different clinical experience, but I'm also going to apply to a different ER. In this one, most of my job duties are going to be rounding and offering water, blankets, etc. and then cleaning empty treatment rooms. I won't really get an opportunity to talk to patients I don't think.

Also, do you think I'll be cleaning up blood and vomit and stuff in the treatment rooms? I heard that only CNAs are certified to do that because they need to record the amount there is or something. I'm not bothered by it, I'll still apply if that's the case. I'm just wondering what they mean by it.

If you're offering water and blankets, won't that be your opportunity to talk to patients?

As for your second question, I would ask your prospective employer as to what the duties of your job would be.

Members don't see this ad :)
clinical,
adj pertaining to a clinic, direct patient care, or materials used in the direct care of patients.

Your description seems to qualify by the medical dictionary.

Am I crazy or has an actual job title NOT been mentioned, what is the position you interviewed for? This could help with answering the second question.

clinical,
adj pertaining to a clinic, direct patient care, or materials used in the direct care of patients.

Your description seems to qualify by the medical dictionary.

Am I crazy or has an actual job title NOT been mentioned, what is the position you interviewed for? This could help with answering the second question.

Thank you for your response. And the title is just 'ER volunteer.'

Yeah, there's no way a volunteer would be cleaning up bodily fluids. But I would definitely say its clinical.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, there's no way a volunteer would be cleaning up bodily fluids. But I would definitely say its clinical.

I cleaned up blood/vomit from rooms in the ED on a regular basis when I was a volunteer. Not large volumes; just what happened to spatter/drip.

Also, i have heard it mentioned here numerous times that "if you can smell patients, it's clinical."

I cleaned up blood from rooms in the ED on a regular basis when I was a volunteer.

Lol nvm I am wrong. That actually surprises me, at least hospitals around me volunteers don't do that stuff.

I cleaned up blood/vomit from rooms in the ED on a regular basis when I was a volunteer. Not large volumes; just what happened to spatter/drip.

Also, i have heard it mentioned here numerous times that "if you can smell patients, it's clinical."

Who cleaned up the large volumes?

Who cleaned up the large volumes?

The guy with the big mop. In reality, the patients who came into the ED I volunteered at were very considerate and did most of their bleeding alone in their bathrooms at home.

The guy with the big mop. In reality, the patients who came into the ED I volunteered at were very considerate and did most of their bleeding alone in their bathrooms at home.

Are you being serious or is that sarcasm? Lol what do you mean?

Environmental services would take care of any bodily fluids where I worked. Volunteers spent most of their time looking bored and lost, between putting sheets on stretchers and handing out warm blankets. While their work was appreciated, there just wasn't nearly enough for them to do. 't was a sad waste of time, but I'm sure it looked great on their app.

Environmental services would take care of any bodily fluids where I worked. Volunteers spent most of their time looking bored and lost, between putting sheets on stretchers and handing out warm blankets. While their work was appreciated, there just wasn't nearly enough for them to do. 't was a sad waste of time, but I'm sure it looked great on their app.
Yep, EVS, and I'm always calling them lol.
I didn't know that was a universal term.
When I first started volunteering that one threw me for a loop.

It's the opposite when I volunteer. The hospital puts us to f******* work. We paper shuffle, discharge most patients, greet, direct visitors by foot (everywhere). However, there is a weekend shift where six BS/MD hopefuls are studying on their laptops the entire four hours because it is at night and unsupervised. They all have about 250+ hours of just sitting, basically.

I guess volunteering is what you want to get out of it. I would feel pretty lame if I just sat for hours. In my opinion it's pointless; how can you grow/learn if you're never challenging yourself?

Sorry for the digression, but damn that felt good to get off my chest. And for the record, people should do what they want. I just think if one volunteers one should be trying new things and getting as much exposure as possible. It's a time to take a break from homework for me anyways.

Last edited:
Yep, EVS, and I'm always calling them.

I didn't know that was a universal term either.

When I first started volunteering that one threw me for a loop.

What are you saying? It doesn't really make sense. What universal term? What threw you for a loop?

What are you saying? It doesn't really make sense. What universal term? What threw you for a loop?
I didn't know EVS was a universal term, and when I started volunteering the term threw me for a loop. That is, it took me a couple of seconds to realize it was another way of saying custodian. Sorry for being vague; it's ironic you pointed that out because I was helping a friend out with a paper this week and lecturing him about being vague too. Alas, it's late, and I'm waiting for these damn clothes to finish so I can throw them in the dryer.

I have heard and seen the full spectrum of ER volunteering. Actually, at least one pre-med I know has been turned off from medicine because of the experience. Now, I don't know whether it was because the experience revealed an inner dislike for medicine or whether it ended up in disillusionment, I do know that what you'll be doing will not be related to medicine directly. Passing out food and water is standard and changing sheets is also. Getting your CNA would be more hands-on, if you like that, and you can learn phlebotomy from there as well.