is this combination work to do well in the clerkship ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leowolverine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'll use these books for clerkship

IM :
Harrisons Manual of Medicine
kaplan lecture notes IM
case file medicine
MKSAP 5
Pretest IM

i'll use johns hopkins IM if i have time for certain subjects

surgery :

nms surgery
surgery recall
case file surgery

Schwartz's Principles of Surgery ABSITE and Board Review
Review of Surgery for ABSITE and Boards

shelf life surgery

and if i need to expand on some subjects i'll use baily and love

Obstetrics and Gynecology
kaplan lecture notes
Obstetrics and Gynecology secrets
case file obs & gyn
pretest
10 teachers self
assessment obs & gyn

is there any other recommendation is this too much or enough ?? if it too much what should i remove ? or what is not recommended
thx in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How long do your clerkships last? That's way too much if you're an AMG

Members don't see this ad :)
may be it is way too far for surgery but it is good for medicine and obs/gyn isn't it ?

No, ~3300 pages of reading for IM is too much. It would be too much for 6 months of IM, let alone 3.

No, ~3300 pages of reading for IM is too much. It would be too much for 6 months of IM, let alone 3.
A volume of Harrisons for each front coat pocket

Reactions: 1 users
not 3300
harrison manual i'll read 600 pages
kaplan its 400
pretest 280
mksap 300
case file 500
ist about 2000 is this too much case i think it is a must if you want to be good at it

Why 6 resources? Why not just pick 1 textbook, 1 review source & 1 question bank? Know the review source cold. Do every question of the bank & review the explanations. Use the textbook as a reference as needed to fully understand any topic in the review and qbank that are difficult to grasp.

Why 6 resources? Why not just pick 1 textbook, 1 review source & 1 question bank? Know the review source cold. Do every question of the bank & review the explanations. Use the textbook as a reference as needed to fully understand any topic in the review and qbank that are difficult to grasp.
ok your recommendation ??
lets say for IM harrison manual & kaplan & use mksap 5 and done ??
obs & gyn kaplan + case file + pretest ??
surgery : nms + recall + scheartz's review ??

I don't have experience with any of these to recommend anything. My advice was based on general study skills. If you want specific suggestions, search these forums. There are thousands of posts on this topic.

I don't have experience with any of these to recommend anything. My advice was based on general study skills. If you want specific suggestions, search these forums. There are thousands of posts on this topic.
ok thx

I agree that you're trying to use too many resources. Just pick one book and buy a Q Bank. Which book you pick will vary by specialty. Many people swear by "Step Up to Medicine" for IM. For most other clerkships, I thought the "First Aid for XX Specialty" book was more than enough.

Reactions: 1 user