is this considered a career change?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, on one of my secondaries it asks if my application represents a career change.
my problem is this...i've been an EMT/Paramedic pretty much since i graduated college 2 years ago. i only tried the EMT thing to see if i liked medicine...i never considered it a career for me. i then got involved in the paramedic class and now 2 years have passed.
Do i check the box as a career change? it's not like i'm going from business to medicine...
any ideas are welcomed
thanks,
streetdoc
PS-does working as a paramedic really give me a foot in the door? or do adcoms not really care?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say no... I don't think it is a career change. Lots of pre-meds do the EMT route during pre-med years. It is a great way to see if you want to deal with patients and their problems.

If you had been doing it for more then 5 yearsw ithout going to school, then I would put it down as a career change.

They want people like me, who was a freelance photographer for years before I went back to school, to tell them why I all of a sudden decided to apply to med school.

Just my 2 cents:p