Is this dream a possiblity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mckay123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
**disclaimer, this is a long post**

I want to go to vet school...
I'll start off with a little background about myself.

I graduated high school in May of 2012 with a 3.5 GPA (not too shabby for someone who didn't have the maturity to care I suppose) I moved in with my boyfriend to attend LSU and it kinda went downhill for the both of us academically. We weren't into the party scene, we were just simply lazy and did not recognized or appreciate the full ride TOPS gave us (basically our college tuition was paid for by the state of Louisiana). After skipping classes, withdrawing from one class cause I did not have any interest in it (art history, like come on, I'm really kicking myself right now) I finished my first semester of college with a 2.5 GPA. Let me tell you, I thought so low of myself after this and really thought ugh, why try? Onto second semester, with my tuition still being paid by state and decided it would be a great time to take on a part time job while continuing my terrible studying habits, I ended the semester with a GPA 1.25 and an overall GPA of 1.8. After this semester, my tuition was no longer going to be paid via the state and I was expected to pay (like wow, I have to pay for MY education whaaaat? I was so immature.) So that summer, instead of taking summer classes to get my GPA up I decided to throw myself a pitty party. I took out a loan for my third semester and was so lost. I had no passion for anything including school and by my third semester I had changed my major for the THIRD time. I ended up dropping out (along with BF) and getting a full time job.

Fast forward to today, two years later, my then boyfriend, now fiancé, is a police office, we have our own apartment, pay our own bills including those loans we took out and I feel like I can now have my head on straight to focus on school work. I have also found I have a passion for working with animals. I for once in my life can say I truly see myself pursing that as a career and ENJOYING it. I look back on the opportunities I had and really wish I could have taken it seriously but I have a strong desire to go back.

Onto my question for you guys:

With my GPA still low, at 1.9 and with 33 credits, is it too late to consider ever getting into vet school and at LSU as well. I am not currently in good standing with LSU, so I would have to go to a community college and get my GPA some, then I was considering going to Southeastern University in Hammond because it is closer to me then LSU is to complete my undergrad. Anyways, what do you guys think? Am I nuts? Is this possible or a waste of time and money with zero chance of ever being accepted to any vet school in the future.

Any response is appreciated! I want this so bad!

Members don't see this ad.

There's a thread at the top called, "What are my chances?" You're far more likely to get responses through that thread.

First off, you will definitely have to retake all your requisite classes. You should look into schools that consider your last-45 GPA higher than your cumulative. If you do well in your pre-requisites, that will be beneficial to you.

Secondly, you didn't mention in your post any veterinary experience, so you will need to do that as well. Perhaps start by shadowing veterinarians and make sure this is what you really want before you head back to school. If it's your dream, it's possible, but it will take a lot of work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello fellow louisianian! 1.5 of a little more than two semesters of bad grades IS fixable.but it will take a good bit of course work with as close to 4.0 as you can get. Retake any prereqs that you failed and ace them. I'm happy to say LSU doesn't look a cumulative grades, rather they look at last 45 hours and required courses, in addition to any sciences you made A grades in. It's doable, but it's time to get serious and stop the pity party if this is something you want. If really start racking up the vet experience too. As much and as varied as is possible as long as it doesn't affect academic performance. At this point grades should come first.

I lost a TOPS stipend as a freshman (still have most of the money though) after I finished freshman year at a 2.8. I'm graduating in the spring with just under a 3.6. You CAN do it.

It is possible to bring your grades up. Retake those that you failed. CC is fine for prereqs, but any upper level science should be taken at a 4-year university. I would strongly consider shadowing a veterinarian to actually find out if being a vet is what you want to do. There are other fields that work with animals that aren't veterinary medicine.

Packaging yourself is key. It will require A LOT of work. A LOT! So, yes, maybe you weren't mature as an undergraduate, but you will have to learn how to study and study well so you can achieve the highest grades you can. I would also strongly suggest talking to your fiancee about this. He will need to support you in this time. He can help you study, or give you the time/space you need to study by yourself so that you can fulfill this dream. Vet school is a big decision and your SO needs to be on board with it. Lots of debt, lots of time, lots of stress.

This will require a lot of work and you can't be lazy.

P.S. I really don't mean this to sound mean/harsh. I'm saying this with positive intent to help you. I just want you to be aware that it will require a lot of work - volunteering, shadowing, studying, getting finances in order, etc.

You can do it if you put your mind to it!

P.S. I really don't mean this to sound mean/harsh. I'm saying this with positive intent to help you. I just want you to be aware that it will require a lot of work - volunteering, shadowing, studying, getting finances in order, etc.

You're channeling @DVMDream

Reactions: 3 users
Luckily for you LSU vet school only looks at your required courses GPA and last 45 credit hours GPA. Don't quote me but I think they include other biological sciences classes in your required courses GPA when you earned an A. And I think required courses are left out of the required courses GPA if the retake is taken a certain number of years after the original course. This is all favorable to your situation but I would check their website to verify this information :)

Reactions: 1 user
Don't quote me but I think they include other biological sciences classes in your required courses GPA when you earned an A.

This is correct. They factor in any animal, biological, and I believe physical sciences. It's on their website.

Thank you all SO much for your response! I think I am going to take a step forward and get a appointment with a few schools around here and go from there!
It is possible to bring your grades up. Retake those that you failed. CC is fine for prereqs, but any upper level science should be taken at a 4-year university. I would strongly consider shadowing a veterinarian to actually find out if being a vet is what you want to do. There are other fields that work with animals that aren't veterinary medicine.

Packaging yourself is key. It will require A LOT of work. A LOT! So, yes, maybe you weren't mature as an undergraduate, but you will have to learn how to study and study well so you can achieve the highest grades you can. I would also strongly suggest talking to your fiancee about this. He will need to support you in this time. He can help you study, or give you the time/space you need to study by yourself so that you can fulfill this dream. Vet school is a big decision and your SO needs to be on board with it. Lots of debt, lots of time, lots of stress.

This will require a lot of work and you can't be lazy.

^ Im looking for tough love right now! I need it! So thank you for your honest, down to business response!

As for my SO being on board, he is! He says I should 100% go for it. Its going to take a lot of work, money, tears and blood but I am willing and actually excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all SO much for your response! I think I am going to take a step forward and get a appointment with a few schools around here and go from there!

^ Im looking for tough love right now! I need it! So thank you for your honest, down to business response!

As for my SO being on board, he is! He says I should 100% go for it. Its going to take a lot of work, money, tears and blood but I am willing and actually excited!

Glad I could be of some service. :) Also, it's awesome that your SO is so supportive! You seem to have gotten your life together and are ready for the next step! Good luck!

As an aside, even if you want/ need tough love, don't let it get to the point where beating yourself up is your only motivation. You still need to love yourself and know you are capable, or you will burn out. Don't forget why you started something.

Reactions: 1 users
As an aside, even if you want/ need tough love, don't let it get to the point where beating yourself up is your only motivation. You still need to love yourself and know you are capable, or you will burn out. Don't forget why you started something.
:thumbup: This is so true. You really have to straddle the delicate middle ground between self-love and discipline. Trust me when I say that beating yourself up only goes so far; sure, you need to motivate yourself, and taking a look at your performance objectively will help identify any issues you're having. But on the other hand, you have to be able to forgive yourself for past mistakes or you'll go crazy. Don't focus too much on the past or future -- focus on what you can do in the now to help set yourself up for success and, like @rockatiel said, don't forget that you're doing this for YOU.

:thumbup: This is so true. You really have to straddle the delicate middle ground between self-love and discipline. Trust me when I say that beating yourself up only goes so far; sure, you need to motivate yourself, and taking a look at your performance objectively will help identify any issues you're having. But on the other hand, you have to be able to forgive yourself for past mistakes or you'll go crazy. Don't focus too much on the past or future -- focus on what you can do in the now to help set yourself up for success and, like @rockatiel said, don't forget that you're doing this for YOU.

Yes honestly, I think that may have been my problem originally. I have small degree of perfectionism in my personality and I almost feel like if its not done perfectly why do it at all. I am also trying to overcome my fear of failure. Its been a tough road but I think I can handle it. Just have to get all the details in order at this point!

And thanks everyone for the helpful responses, I was a little scared to post cause, you know, people on the internet can be mean but so far everyone has been GREAT. So thank you for that! :love:

And thanks everyone for the helpful responses, I was a little scared to post cause, you know, people on the internet can be mean but so far everyone has been GREAT. So thank you for that! :love:

You sound so much like me. Terrified of failure, etc. as long as you don't come across as arrogant/offensive (which you haven't) people here will be generally nice. Keep doing your own research on schools and the profession!

Thanks, you seem pretty great yourself!

Whoo! Thanks! :D

You make a good point.

Yes honestly, I think that may have been my problem originally. I have small degree of perfectionism in my personality and I almost feel like if its not done perfectly why do it at all. I am also trying to overcome my fear of failure. Its been a tough road but I think I can handle it. Just have to get all the details in order at this point!

I relate to this so much. My brain has perfectionist tendencies. If I don't keep it in check, it fills my thoughts with very nasty put downs! They're total b/s. Like, if I make one tiny mistake in a video game, my brain seems to think that this is evidence I am an idiot who can't play video games and I will never succeed in life. If I'm not paying attention, it's easy to believe my brain, and to get mad/upset about my apparent inadequacy.

But what helps me so much is to pretend that my brain is another person. I pretend that they're a jerk who follows me around, looking for opportunities to make me feel bad. I wouldn't let another person get away with the mean stuff my brain "says" to me. So, it's a lot easier to see the b/s for what it is.

What helps even more is to "respond" to my brain. For example, if I die in a video game level and it "says", "You need to quit playing right now! You are too dumb to play this game!" I could respond with something like "What the heck are you talking about? I died once, so I will never beat this level? How many gazillions of levels did I beat before this? How many bunches of times did I die? How many times did you say I wouldn't get through? I got through them all! Do you have amnesia or something? You're the dumb one!"

Oh my gosh, it's so calming!

I learned the techniques from this book: Get it Done When You're Depressed

The relevant chapters are called "Talk Back to Depression" and "Know When Your Brain is Lying to You"

I think you should take a few entry level science classes and see how you do. All the "I think I'm ready to do well now" in the world won't help if it turns out you're not actually ready.

The bottom line is that yes, there are vet schools for whom those early grades won't matter. You likely will need to be very strategic in applying by picking schools who use criteria that are most favorable to you (last-45 gpa and/or pre-req gpa rather than overall gpa).

You may be able to petition LSU to get back in. I wouldn't let not being in good standing stop you from at least trying if it's the most convenient location. I'm a big promoter of CCs, but you need to look far ahead toward what vet school(s) you would be applying and make sure they will accept those credits. Some vet schools are more enlightened about it than others.

There are plenty of second chances in life, so I wouldn't feel too down about it. There are often not third chances, though.

You're channeling @DVMDream

I take that as the highest of compliments. DVMD is awesome. lol

Came to see what people poked me for. Saw thread title, saw one comment, got distracted by **** show on clinics. Came back just now to see if I needed to roll my eyes at something.

No eye rolling necessary. :) :) :love:

However, @dyachei has been the starting point of "assume positive intent". So you might want to give her some credit. ;)

Reactions: 4 users
I would very highly suggest starting with shadowing before you delve into the science courses again or re-enroll in school. Financially, it could save you a ton of money if you decide this isn't your thing. Vet med is an emotionally, mentally and financially draining profession. You love animals, but can you deal with their owners? Can you handle people who don't take care of their animals, or who want to euthanize them because they can't afford to pay for them, or who let them suffer for weeks and weeks with an illness or injury and then call you on a Saturday night because they decided *that* was the moment they needed to seek vet medical attention? Can you deal with euthanasia even in the best circumstances, when an animal has just grown old and its the most humane thing to do? Can you deal with clients asking you to be the judge of when "it's time." Can you turn away clients and their animals when they can't afford to pay - if not you'll definitely go broke trying to save them all. Have you spent time considering the amount of debt you'll be in and the measly starting salary that you'll make?

And I'm not saying that to be a debby downer. I never wanted to be a vet, and I especially didn't want to be a vet after I worked in a clinic when I was 19 - just because it was a job that would pay me. It took me 7 years, another degree, several universities (I dropped out after I got a 2.1 gpa my freshman year). I'm now applying with a 3.8 science gpa and so far I'm 3/3 on interviews. It's *entirely* possible if this is what you want. But just make sure you truly know what you're getting into, because the life of a vet is not glamorous, and you will probably be poor/in student loan debt forever. If you're in LA then that's mitigated by having a relatively affordable in-state vet school, but you may not get into your IS school.

Yes the academics are rigorous and it's important to gauge whether you can actually handle them and do well, but doing that costs money whereas volunteering or shadowing doesn't (unless you're an economist).

I agree that shadowing is a good first step, especially while you still have a full-time job. You may find that it isn't your cup of tea, and that's okay. There are many ways to work with animals outside of being a veterinarian and that do not require nearly the same investment (time, financial and emotional).