Is this enough clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perseverance13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! So I am a little worried regarding the amount of clinical experience I have and wanted to know if it will be enough for when I apply.

140 hrs clinical internship at NYU (got to observe a variety of patients, attend medical conferences, and do rounds with doctors)
100+ hrs of hospital volunteering (decent patient exposure)
100 hrs of shadowing in various specialties (pathology, emergency medicine, and rehabilitation medicine)

I have decent leadership stuff, non-clinical volunteering, and research.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone! So I am a little worried regarding the amount of clinical experience I have and wanted to know if it will be enough for when I apply.

140 hrs clinical internship at NYU (got to observe a variety of patients, attend medical conferences, and do rounds with doctors)
100 hrs of shadowing in various specialties (pathology, emergency medicine, and rehabilitation medicine)

If you never interacted with patients in a helpful way during the NYU Internship, I'd suggest ~50 more hours of hospital volunteering (unless you're from Colorado, in which case add 300+ more hours). Your shadowing is already well above average, but should ideally include some primary care physician-patient observation in a longitudinal-care setting (aka office or clinic-based).

Reactions: 1 users

I agree with above, get a bit more hours of hospital volunteering.

I have lots of shadowing and observing just like you, and have just under 150 hours of hospital volunteering and have been doing fine!

Reactions: 1 user
If you never interacted with patients in a helpful way during the NYU Internship, I'd suggest ~50 more hours of hospital volunteering (unless you're from Colorado, in which case add 300+ more hours). Your shadowing is already well above average, but should ideally include some primary care physician-patient observation in a longitudinal-care setting (aka office or clinic-based).
I agree with above, get a bit more hours of hospital volunteering.

I have lots of shadowing and observing just like you, and have just under 150 hours of hospital volunteering and have been doing fine!
Thank you guys so much! That makes me feel exponentially better

Reactions: 1 user