Is this enough clinical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

specialsnowflakeusername

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently a non-trad and looking to apply to medical schools. I was wondering if I should get a job as a scribe or a research assistant.

As for clinical volunteering, I currently have about 200 hours of hospital volunteering and 150 hours of hospice volunteering. Is this enough for clinical experience? Should I look into becoming a scribe to up the clinical exposure?

Even though the # of hours are a lot, I was worried about certain things. I interacted with patients in both roles. However, I felt that my role, especially in the hospital, was very superficial. I talked to patients and gave them blankets/socks and helped the nurses out. I do sometimes get a chance to see nurses/doctors interact. Furthermore, the hospital volunteering was a couple years ago - 3 years ago, to be exact. I'm not sure if that would still be considered relevant to med school apps.

As for hospice volunteering, I enjoy it a lot. I get to talk to patients / their families, nurses, and CNA's. However, I rarely see doctors in the hospice. Would me not seeing how doctors were able to interact with hospice patients cause this experience to be non-clinical?

I plan on continuing the hospice volunteering, but was wondering if I should get a job as a scribe if my hospice volunteering is considered non-clinical since I rarely see doctors around.

Please advise, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

That seems like sufficient clinical experience to me. DO you have many physician shadowing hours yet?

That seems like sufficient clinical experience to me. DO you have many physician shadowing hours yet?

Yes, 100 hours of physician shadowing. Would I not have to get the scribe job then? I'd rather go with research because it pays a lot more and I have some mouths to feed.

I am currently a non-trad and looking to apply to medical schools. I was wondering if I should get a job as a scribe or a research assistant.

As for clinical volunteering, I currently have about 200 hours of hospital volunteering and 150 hours of hospice volunteering. Is this enough for clinical experience? Should I look into becoming a scribe to up the clinical exposure?

Even though the # of hours are a lot, I was worried about certain things. I interacted with patients in both roles. However, I felt that my role, especially in the hospital, was very superficial. I talked to patients and gave them blankets/socks and helped the nurses out. I do sometimes get a chance to see nurses/doctors interact. Furthermore, the hospital volunteering was a couple years ago - 3 years ago, to be exact. I'm not sure if that would still be considered relevant to med school apps.

As for hospice volunteering, I enjoy it a lot. I get to talk to patients / their families, nurses, and CNA's. However, I rarely see doctors in the hospice. Would me not seeing how doctors were able to interact with hospice patients cause this experience to be non-clinical?

I plan on continuing the hospice volunteering, but was wondering if I should get a job as a scribe if my hospice volunteering is considered non-clinical since I rarely see doctors around.

Please advise, thanks.
Your active clinical experience and shadowing hours look fine. Go with the research job if you can make more money that way, and continue with the hospice volunteering, or similar (unless you're from Colorado, which has historically liked more clinical hours than you have right now).