is this enough improvement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medbunny56

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you're good to go for DO schools, however maybe not for MD schools because your MCAT is still on the low side (typically a 508+ is what the average med student has) and also some schools average your MCAT scores. Maybe apply to some low-tier MD schools, but primarily focus on DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When medical schools typically accept students the low-tier ones matriculants have average MCAT scores of 30 (508-509) this doesn't necessarily translate into that they accept students between 506-512, maybe 95% of them had 508. Im not saying its impossible to get into MD schools because they look at the application holistically, but you have a much better chance of getting into DO schools. Focus more on DO, im my opinion. If you're gonna add some MD schools try University of Missouri-Kansas city (matriculants had MCAT scores of 28), Rosalind Franklin med school , uni of mississipi, uni of north dakota. There are more, try googling some Med schools with matriculants that had your stats.

Btw whats your ethnicity? And home state? Those two factors play a role in which medical schools you can get into

chicago rosalind franklin i believe has an mcat 26 cut off. I am pretty sure.

If you're gonna add some MD schools try University of Missouri-Kansas city (matriculants had MCAT scores of 28), Rosalind Franklin med school , uni of mississipi, uni of north dakota. There are more, try googling some Med schools with matriculants that had your stats.

Btw whats your ethnicity? And home state? Those two factors play a role in which medical schools you can get into
None of these are good choices for OP.
UMKC matriculates its OOSers from their special program (many of RFU's are also in a special program).
MS does not even accept applications from Californians!
UND has a regional mission and would only consider OP if he/she appeared in a tribal registry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I suggest:
Quinnipiac
Oakland U Beaumont
Rosy Franklin
MCW
Creighton
NYMC
VCU
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Albany
Netter
UCI
UCD
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire
Any DO school.

applied last cycle with a 498 mcat (125/121/125/127)=24 on old scale, 3.60 cgpa, 3.40 sgpa
-i stupidly applied without knowing my mcat score and was complete at most places around late sept/october

since then, I retook my mcat and got a 504 (127/124/125/128)--I was expecting a 509-510 but I guess im okay with the 6 improvement from last time (28 on old scale)
-raised my cgpa to 3.63, raised my sgpa to 3.51
-1st author abstract accepted at national conference
-two 1st author publications under review
-300 hours of new research experience
-revamped my PS and activities section
-two new LORs (one science, one PI)
-primary just got verified today so i anticipate being complete at most schools before the end of august

thanks for your feedback!
i will be applying to MD and DO schools this cycle, i know my mcat is on the lower end but it is pretty balanced and im not sure how much i could improve since i studied for 6 months, i plan on waiting till january and if i dont get interviews then ill start studying for a retake for april/may

do you have any volunteering or clinical experience? you mention a lot of research, but no community service or clinical exposure. DO schools may especially be on the lookout that you shadowed (preferably an osteopathic physician) and many of them require physician letters.

Mcat is on the low side but I think if you pitch it well and apply broadly and generously you have a shot an MD school