Is this even possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eefen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

First off, if this isn't the right place to post this, then mods - feel free to delete/move this.

That being said, I wanted to draw upon your collective wisdom and sound out a couple of tentative ideas about the future. I have a strong interest in EM but am also interested in pain medicine. I know that's an uphill battle right there - I've been told in the past that someone coming from EM should plan on applying to any fellowship that will let them. I know it's not terribly common at the moment to go from EM --> pain.

Since it's not that common, there aren't a lot of examples that I've seen of docs integrating the two worlds (which may be because it's not possible, or perhaps the sample size just isn't there yet). Most that I've seen have for one reason or another jumped completely into pain medicine and left EM behind.

Personally, I'd like to do mostly EM but have the option of transitioning into a pain clinic/office after a while. But if I were to complete the fellowship, I obviously wouldn't want to just not practice for however long until that transition happened. Also, it seems like it would be more ideal to complete the fellowship as soon after residency as possible, while my family and I are still in "student mode."

Do you all think it would be possible to do something like 3-4 days/week in the ED and 1 day/week in a clinic? Heck, if I landed in an area with a few hospitals, perhaps I could do 2/days in clinic and then maybe "local" locum tenens for EM for however many extra days a week I needed, although that's not necessarily reliable. I guess my primary question is, how likely is it to find a part time pain medicine job like that?

I'm obviously just spouting things off here, so I would genuinely appreciate any guidance you all might have!

Members don't see this ad.

(1) possible.
(2) you might have different interests as time passes.
(3) be very careful and go slow. Lots of shell games going on using unsuspecting per-diems.

you could.. there are many anesthesiologists who do part pain and part anesthesia.

personally, i wouldnt recommend it - too much shift work in ED, different perspectives in terms of treatment goals (ie treat em and street em vs. long term functionality/QoL), and while shift work, is different enough...

its possible, but not easy or recommended.