**** Is this Good enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wjs010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been applying to schools since dec, starting with St. Aug San Marcos, and I was waitlisted. I have been rejected from 4 other school, ending with UNF today lol. I started out in biology in freshman year and unfortunately the classes I took and did not try in were also PT school prereqs, like biology 1 and anatomy 1 ...pretty much all the easy courses I made a C in. Well, halfway through I really started trying and brought the GPA up and took on huge workloads and still did fine. Unfortunately, I may have to go make up those ridiculously easy freshman/sophomore prerequisites...which is frustrating. I graduated in Kinesiology:

Overall GPA: 3.185
Prereq GPA: 3.0
GRE : 1040, 4.5 writing
180 hours private orthopedic

I am in Louisiana but I started PTCAS too late to apply to the schools here. I still am waiting to hear from Ark State, Southwestern Baptist in MO, and Mass Worcester.
I am also a personal trainer with ACSM HFS , but PT schools may or may not even know what that is , HA. In college, ACSM is something I heard every day.
Do any of you think my prereq GPA is just too insanely low ? I am starting to. The plan is to start by going BACK to the college I just graduated from to take said freshman classes and make A's. The problem is, calculating the GPA is hard, and I really want to calculate it after every class I retake, to see where I stand. Any advice is awesome..thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been applying to schools since dec, starting with St. Aug San Marcos, and I was waitlisted. I have been rejected from 4 other school, ending with UNF today lol. I started out in biology in freshman year and unfortunately the classes I took and did not try in were also PT school prereqs, like biology 1 and anatomy 1 ...pretty much all the easy courses I made a C in. Well, halfway through I really started trying and brought the GPA up and took on huge workloads and still did fine. Unfortunately, I may have to go make up those ridiculously easy freshman/sophomore prerequisites...which is frustrating. I graduated in Kinesiology:

Overall GPA: 3.185
Prereq GPA: 3.0
GRE : 1040, 4.5 writing
180 hours private orthopedic

I am in Louisiana but I started PTCAS too late to apply to the schools here. I still am waiting to hear from Ark State, Southwestern Baptist in MO, and Mass Worcester.
I am also a personal trainer with ACSM HFS , but PT schools may or may not even know what that is , HA. In college, ACSM is something I heard every day.
Do any of you think my prereq GPA is just too insanely low ? I am starting to. The plan is to start by going BACK to the college I just graduated from to take said freshman classes and make A's. The problem is, calculating the GPA is hard, and I really want to calculate it after every class I retake, to see where I stand. Any advice is awesome..thanks.
I'm thinking it's too low. I have a 3.7 overall, not sure about prereq at least 3.4-3.5 and I'm worried about not getting into my schools of choice. Is there anyway you can take a few classes to bring up your GPA? It seems that you are on the low end of the GPA scale. I would maybe search for an EASY masters program that you could swing all A's in and do that. Maybe look for a 1 year program IF you don't get into any of the schools you applied to. Good luck!

Thanks. A masters would be just too expensive. I'm just going to call my old college and try to get on as fast as possible and retake the prerequisites that I made a c in

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app I will accept any pt school at this point. I cannot sleep

Members don't see this ad :)
Your scores are borderline ... many have been acceted w/ those scores. Plan better what schools you apply to-some go as low as 2.7 w/ GPA, apply early.........aug / sept. Retake the key classes AP is the most important at a community college if you can it is less $$. google GPA calculators. But be aware that PTCAS has its special scale.
my GPA 3.1 Prereqs was lower, GRE was about the same as yours. I applied to 9, Interviewed at 2, waitlist interview 1, waitlisted 1-and moving up the rank, and accepted to 1 in Nov. w/o interview. You will need a great essay, and outstanding LORs.
Good Luck

Are you saying you applied sep 2011 with the stats you mentioned and were accepted in nov 2011 for the fall 2012 ? I really made a big mistake by not applying early. I didn't think it mattered, and still to this day even after reading every f a q from PTCAS I cannot find the small print where it says " oh yea even though there's a deadline, you have to apply earlier to be accepted" I really didn't know this was the case. Yes I'm applying to my college for read missions as we speak so that I can retake as many prerequisite as I can for summer and fall . I made an A in ap 2 but a C in ap 1 lol. It was back in sophomore year when I didn't try. May I ask which school you were accepted into? It's nice to know someone with similar stats was accepted somewhere!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app I will accept any pt school at this point. I cannot sleep

I would retake the GRE.. A high GRE can offset a low gpa.

I had a low GRE score, a 3.75 overall GPA, but a 3.3 pre-req GPA. I would say re-take a few of those courses like A&P or Bio and shoot for at least a B. I got a B is both A&P's, but had a lot of hours as a PT tech and I think that's what got me in at the schools I applies to (all in Texas!)

Is it a good idea to start taking pre reqs retakes in the summer? I reapplied to my previous college. Think I should take prereqs until my gpa starts going up then start applying in the summer and keep updating my gpa ?

Is it a good idea to start taking pre reqs retakes in the summer? I reapplied to my previous college. Think I should take prereqs until my gpa starts going up then start applying in the summer and keep updating my gpa ?

Hey, I want to offer you some advice.

I got accepted into both programs I applied to. One public Florida university and one private. My PTCAS GPA was a 3.2 and my prereq was a 3.1. I didn't have any amazing extracuriculars or volunteer/work experience. I didn't have the best LORs or grades. What I did have was a good( 1270) GRE score, ugprade grade trend with a few prerequisite retakes, and most importantly, I showed them how much I wanted to be in the program. How did I show that, you ask? Well, I put a face and voice behind my application by visiting the programs and becoming in close contact with admissions staff for each school. I also wrote a pretty killer essay.

Anywho, what you need to do is apply smartly. You can have your 'reach' schools but you really need to research schools that will look most at the strengths of your application. I would retake your GRE and retake ALL prerequisites you got C's in.

I think that would be enough to get you in somewhere. Best of luck.

Yea honestly I did readmit to my college and will take as many prereqs as I can. Problem is, I have about 7 courses that I made cs in and 2 are anatomy labs lol. I will retake all lectures but I want to be able to finish in good timing to apply for 2013. What do you consider a low gre? I do have an upward trend also. I made 860, 9 something forgot, and most recently 1040 so that shows improvement. I'm almost certain I can get in some school in the us. I have made good relationship with the unf lady and she knows me just through email now and has gone out of her way to give me advice. I am wait listed for USA San Marcos and don't see how that's a good thing but people are happy to be wait listed there so I am too. I just HAvE to do this fast enough to get early applications for 2013. Thanks for the reply^^!

Are you saying you applied sep 2011 with the stats you mentioned and were accepted in nov 2011 for the fall 2012 ? I really made a big mistake by not applying early. I didn't think it mattered, and still to this day even after reading every f a q from PTCAS I cannot find the small print where it says " oh yea even though there's a deadline, you have to apply earlier to be accepted" I really didn't know this was the case. Yes I'm applying to my college for read missions as we speak so that I can retake as many prerequisite as I can for summer and fall . I made an A in ap 2 but a C in ap 1 lol. It was back in sophomore year when I didn't try. May I ask which school you were accepted into? It's nice to know someone with similar stats was accepted somewhere!

I took the old GRE in May and the New one in Aug. my PTCAS app was completed. in AUG 2011 w/ the acceptance ......TOURO in NV. no interviews. Waitlisted at NAU, interviewed at both NAU and AT Still. They started filling spots in Sept. Oh I had a C in both AP classes.took both freshman year along w/ chem and calc and physics. rough!! I was all prepared to retake them if needed. my low science GPA did keep me out of the running for a couple of the schools I applied to. AT STill and Midwestern have lower that 3.0 requirements.........but still very competitive. Don't give up hope, just apply smart. Still hoping for 13 to drop out from NAU waitlist ahead of me. :laugh: My experience was you can have 2-3 outstanding classes for the spring before you attend........but check w/ the schools to be sure some only allow one. I've heard the summer classes w/ the labs move very quickly.

Wow I made an A in the second ap haha. I'm jealous of you! But that is still awesome for what happened to you. I am making the changes as we speak to move back 45 min away to retake the prereqs. I gotta work and pay rent in the process so I'm glad they are freshman classes. Lol.

Yea honestly I did readmit to my college and will take as many prereqs as I can. Problem is, I have about 7 courses that I made cs in and 2 are anatomy labs lol. I will retake all lectures but I want to be able to finish in good timing to apply for 2013. What do you consider a low gre? I do have an upward trend also. I made 860, 9 something forgot, and most recently 1040 so that shows improvement. I'm almost certain I can get in some school in the us. I have made good relationship with the unf lady and she knows me just through email now and has gone out of her way to give me advice. I am wait listed for USA San Marcos and don't see how that's a good thing but people are happy to be wait listed there so I am too. I just HAvE to do this fast enough to get early applications for 2013. Thanks for the reply^^!

What's most important about the GRE score is percentiles. For example, did you do poorly on verbal, percentile wise, and great on math? I was in the 60th percentile for math but in the high 80th percentile in verbal, I believe that made me stand out. I think your GRE is fairly average and it won't do anything to offset your low GPA.

You have C's in 7 prerequisites? If so, that's going to be a lot of retakes! I have intimate knowledge of the application process of UCF, St. Aug, and UNF.

UNF won't take you because your stats are too low. Unless you have some kind of insane application boosting thing on your PTCAS, I don't really see how you would stand out against those who have 3.8's and great extra currics. Not trying to be a dick, but you need to seriously put in some work as this is a reach school for you. UNF doesn't interview, so it's purely numbers and shiny stuff on your app that stands out.

ALSO, UNF, I'm pretty sure, focuses on last sixty hour GPA. St. Augustine focuses on last 45. You were wait listed at st. aug? Did you ask them why?

I emailed him verifying my being wait listed, but I didn't ask why specifically. I did annoy and want clarification and asked him " so does this mean I am prioritized for early 2013?". I will ask him why. I even told him I would take summer or fall 2013 at either campus if it made a difference. No I don't think you're a dick. I know I ****ed up but somehow 3.0 prereq doesn't seem so bad after all those c's. Lol. I believe in 2 quarters I will have a lot of those classes retaken and I will make A's. So around November I will have all prereqs updated hopefully , but I'll start applying as soon as doors open. I really must get in school no later than 2013 fall. I'll apply to every mophuckin school in the USA!