Is this illegal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMBgrad12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I was hired last summer as full time salaried RpH. At that time,a lot of pharmacists on sick leave, STD, or having babies. Now they get back and there is no hrs for me, the boss has tried to give me hints that I should volunteer to reduce my hr so I can still stay with the company. I don't think it is fair but he keeps pushing it. Any suggestion?

BTW, I am currently a floater.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi.

I was hired last summer as full time salaried RpH. At that time,a lot of pharmacists on sick leave, STD, or having babies. Now they get back and there is no hrs for me, the boss has tried to give me hints that I should volunteer to reduce my hr so I can still stay with the company. I don't think it is fair but he keeps pushing it. Any suggestion?

BTW, I am currently a floater.

Thanks

How would an hour reduction affect a salaried employee?

He wants me to change to part time ( <= 20 hrs/week)

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you sign a contract? I highly doubt it. If you didn't sign a contract, then nope... it's not illegal.

However, it might be against company policy to use a "volunteer" RPh.

How would an hour reduction affect a salaried employee?
You're salaried based on an average hr/wk. Most are salaried at 40/wk. We recently had some stores change their hours, so a few rph are salaried at 38/wk or something like that.

That's part of being a floater. Pharmacies are becoming easier to staff, so there aren't many hours for floaters except when you have a bunch of people getting sick at the same time or something like that, which doesn't last. Most of the floaters in my district either got fired (not just because there were no hours for them, but for stuff that wouldn't necessarily have gotten them fired if they were needed) or stopped being floaters. I doubt it's much different anywhere else.

I am not sure about legal, but it doesn't seem ethical! If they hire you for 40 hours, then they need to give you 40 hours, or pay you for 40. You are relying on getting paid a certain amount. I am also a 40 hour floater. So far I haven't had any problems, in fact I usually work 45 or so. But I just got our schedule for next week and I only have 27 hours for next week. So I really don't know what that means.

Well it would be stupid if they didn't sign any kind of contract!!