Is this indicative of some sort of red flag in my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xc_stallion92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, not sure if this is the right place for this, but just wanted some opinions. So far this cycle of have 4 MD/PhD rejections and 3 II's. I applied to >30 schools. I was rejected from my in-state program, Indiana University, very quickly. I was not optimistic about getting into the MSTP there (LizzyM roughly 71), but just received a pre-II MD rejection as well. This was really shocking to me, as a massive percentage of IS applicants get interviews, and I believe that my application, while probably slightly below average for dual degree, should have been at least enough to get me an interview. As far as I can tell, the 3 II's I've gotten are to MD/PhD programs that interview a lot of applicants and don't accept a very high percentage of interviewees. Should I be worried that something is wrong with my app?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Relax - I was in a very similar situation last year. It's still early in the game and the fact that you received a few II's is good news.

Btw I think for mstps state residency doesn't count. If anything, it might hurt a bit as programs try to demonstrate that they accept applicants from all over the country (but that's just my opinion).

Relax - I was in a very similar situation last year. It's still early in the game and the fact that you received a few II's is good news.

Btw I think for mstps state residency doesn't count. If anything, it might hurt a bit as programs try to demonstrate that they accept applicants from all over the country (but that's just my opinion).
Thanks for the response. Yeah I'm not worried about getting rejected from IU's MSTP, it's not getting an interview for the MD program that worries me... I didn't want to go MD only, but getting rejected pre-II just caught me off guard. Almost everyone from Indiana gets an II for the MD program.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've heard, getting a II for md and getting a II for md post md/phd rejection are whole different animals. It varies by institution, but generally you are far less likely to get a II due to factors like timing and perceptions (why give someone a II when they probably will accept any other md/phd program instead).

From what I've heard, getting a II for md and getting a II for md post md/phd rejection are whole different animals. It varies by institution, but generally you are far less likely to get a II due to factors like timing and perceptions (why give someone a II when they probably will accept any other md/phd program instead).

Fair point, that actually helped quite a bit. Thank you.