Is this journey possible as a non-trad with low grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureD0C17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been lurking and trying to process all the information available on these boards, but I feel like I'm at a point where I really need to be honest with myself and I could very much use your help in doing so.

I'm a 30 yr old non-trad, former Econ grad and I fell in love with healthcare not too long ago as a result of personal experiences. Undergrad - CC 2.9cGPA --> 4yr: 3.35cGPA

I jumped back into the CC after so many years away and I've gotten straight A's so far through 23 credits. I got certified and am now volunteering as an EMT while trying to figure out the next step. Total now: CC-3.2; 4yr: 3.35cGPA. BCPM is close to a 4.0 right now.

I need to take:

Chem 2
Bio 1&2
Orgo 1&2
Physics 1&2

I'm starting to get down on myself in wondering if this road will pan out, even with straight A's and a good MCAT. I'd love to take a few more prereqs at the CC but I know it isn't going to look as good, which leads me down the more expensive road and with maybe very little shot in the end? I don't have a career presently and have been contemplating trying to get into a ABSN program, the fastest path into healthcare, but I don't believe I'll be happy there. PA school is also an option, but I would much rather be a doctor even if it means more risk and hard work to get there. Considering straight A's from the point of my return until I finish all the prereqs, what are my chances for MD & DO programs? I need some blunt advice and if you have a crystal ball, that would be helpful too :). Is this journey realistic?

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you're on the right track. You've made an honest and accurate assessment about where you're at and where you need to go. With a cGPA hovering around 3.3 and BCPM near 4.0, you're definitely on track for DO. Assuming you continue to get A's in your prerequisites, academically you should be solid for DO.

Additionally, you're also tracking on gaining clinical exposure. Keep that up, and try and get in some non-clinical volunteering and maybe some clinical (non-EMS) exposure also via volunteering.

To sum up: Keep up the academics, do well on the MCAT, and gain additional clinical/non-clinical volunteer exposure. Assuming you do those things, it should pan out.

Good luck.

EDIT- Also, since your safest bet is the DO route, the current wisdom re: CC prereqs is that it's not a huge deal; the MCAT will be your chance to prove that their rigor set you up for success.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, it's possible (examples here) with hard work and dedication.
Best of luck!

I agree with GunnarBronson. You're doing exactly what you need to be doing which is acing your prerequisites. If you continue doing this and do well on your MCAT, you'll be golden for DO schools. Since you are taking your pre-reqs at a community college, you may want to call any of the MD schools that you're looking to apply to and find out if they have a policy forbidding completing prerequisites via community college. Off the top of my head, I know that SUNY Downstate specifically mentions that they do not accept community college courses as a means of completing prerequisites. They urge those students to retake those classes in a university setting. I heard this directly from the director of admissions when I went for an informational session. This shouldn't discourage you from applying MD but you definitely need to check so as to save yourself from wasting money on schools that won't consider your application because of cc bias. Lastly, my other piece of advice is that you just try and relax. I'm 30 as well and there are times when I seriously consider just throwing in the towel but then I remember all of the other professions that I've tried and hated and subsequently left because I was unhappy and couldn't see myself doing anything other than being I just take a breather and realize that at the end of this madness, I'll achieve my dream.