Is this salary accurate for Mental Health Counselors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurefreud2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bestjobs/2006/snapshots/33.html

Everyone keeps telling me I won't make enough money if I become a Mental Health Counselor. However, 53k seems like more than enough to live off of, IMO. I just want to know if this is an accurate average salary. Also, will the pay go up with years experience? Or is there a cap because you're not a psychologist? I ask this because I notice psychologists start at 60k and can go up to 80k, whereas counselors hardly ever go over 60k.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, 41k ( 53k after taxes) is about 3000 per month, right? This will take care of a very moderate mortgage or rent, utilities, phone/cell phone, car insurance, a car payment, gas, health insurance (assuming your employer pays the bulk for the premium), and an average monthly food bill for 2. That is about all. Sounds like it would be living paycheck to paycheck, with marginal room for significant savings. If you call that good, then thats up to you.

General savings, retirement savings (401k), life insurance, school loans, entertainment, educational costs, child rearing costs, miselanous/emergency, medical bills, etc are all things that need to be factored into a budget. And thats probably just half the list.

Moreover, given that you said in an earlier post that you are planning on setting up a PP, you would need to calculate (and subtract) overhead costs, subtract any lost income for sick days or vacation, and add a hefty sum to your insurance premium. PP doesnt have paid time off or health insurance.

PP is not an upwardly mobile practice setting unless you esatablish a group practice and employ others. So , no, there is no raise. I am 2 years post ph.d and make mid 6 figures from a salaried position, an academic affiliation, and a side consulting gig, so it is easily possible to get way above 80k as a psychologist, although I d0 think the median is probably about 80 or 90K.

Last edited:
I think their numbers are a little high. Try and speak to some local recent grads to get a better picture of salaries.

Counseling is very specific to state. In my state full of warm fuzzies and happiness, you hit the jackpot at 35k. If you are licensed, you are lucky to get over 50k. Maybe a little higher if you work for state. Federal is the highest organization wise. Private practice has the highest potential (know a couple that make over 200k/yr), but it dependent on your networking skills. The state I am moving to has a much higher level of demand with access to a greater level of federal funds. Master level therapists can start in the high 40s to mid 50s. Licensed individuals can make from the 60s to upwards of 130k (no joke). Psychologists are usually 60k-100k from what I have seen. Keep in mind, every state has a leaning toward a mental health profession. My current and future one loves LCSWs. So consider practicing location when getting your degree.