Is this schedule doable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rahul0774

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I will be entering my second semester of Sophomore year, and I wanted to hear your opinions of my "possible" schedule. As of now, I have registered for the following classes:

Spanish 2
Physics 2+Lab
Orgo 2+Lab

At my school, that comes out to 13 hours. I know that this is on the low side, but I want to give physics and organic their due diligence. However, I do plan to take the MCAT in August of 2014, giving myself the entire summer to study for it (I have already finished all of the other pre-reqs). I was just wondering if it would be in my best interests to take an introductory physiology course in addition to the courses listed above as a means to prepare for the MCAT? Or will I have enough time over the summer to study and comprehend all of the physiology required on the MCAT? Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

That schedule is very doable. Adding a physiology class would be a great idea if you can fit it in, as it will prepare a bit better for the biological sciences section. Taking it in August following a summer of studying is great. You should be fine for next semester. Don't worry about taking "light" loads. No one will ever notice or care, from what I've been told. For future reference, there is an ongoing "how does this schedule look" thread. Post any future questions about your schedules there. Good luck!

I think you should stick to your schedule you have now. Physiology does help a bit, but as you said, Organic and Physics is definitely quite a bit. I would focus on mastery of the material. While physiology knowledge is important on the MCAT, I would argue that what is needed to be known is not necessarily that much. The information that you will need to know for the MCAT in terms of physiology can be covered (as you say) during your MCAT preparation in the summer and I think it can be covered in an objective-based fashion. I would argue that it is both easy material and enjoyable material which will only make the learning process easier.

While there have been some cases (including mine) where one was so well versed in physiology that one did not even have to refer to the passage in the BS section, that is only after more advanced physiology classes. For example, I had a passage on a certain environmental condition's effect on the pulmonary system (being general on purpose here). It required analysis of a complex table that I already was familiar with for a class I took in Topics of Respiratory Physiology. Therefore, I am pretty sure I did well on that passage. The information that you will need to know for the MCAT in terms of physiology can be covered (as you say) during your MCAT preparation in the summer. I would argue that it is both easy material and enjoyable material which will only make the learning process easier.

Lastly, I would agree that taking light loads is not a worry. I took light loads (12 credits) all throughout college and was accepted. However, we need to be careful when generalizing too.

Suppose we took every admission committee member in the US and took a collective opinion of important factors. It would look something like this in my hasty opinion:

MCAT>sGPA>cGPA>Clinical>Interests/Hobbies>Interview Performance>Community Service>Research>Factor X> GPA trend> Factor B > Factor D,F> How the interviewee presented him/herself>Courseload....

but I know a friend who took a heavy course load every semester (for unknown reasons) and didn't do as well and is bitter about it. Then, I remember an interviewer looking at my application and noticing a particular activity and told me this really interested her because she had done it too...Now, what if someone who behaved similarly to my friend made it to an admissions committee...I'd be willing to bet that they would definitely take note of course load when reviewing files. Since this process is subjective, it's definitely not good to totally take course load of the table but at the same time, if you do, chances are you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is certainly n=1 but I had taken Physiology prior to taking the MCAT and had not taken Organic 2. I found physiology extremely helpful and was able to handle any organic questions simply by being familiar with what would be asked through my preparation. So in my personal opinion I think physiology is more helpful than organic 2 would be.

This is certainly n=1 but I had taken Physiology prior to taking the MCAT and had not taken Organic 2. I found physiology extremely helpful and was able to handle any organic questions simply by being familiar with what would be asked through my preparation. So in my personal opinion I think physiology is more helpful than organic 2 would be.

I see where you're coming from with Orgo TWO because that one focuses more on reactions whereas the first one is more concepts which the MCAT tests.

I am in the same boat with you bud. I am going into my second semester semester of sophomore year and plan to take the August 15th MCAT as well! We have the same situation except that I will be lacking physics II when I sit the MCAT. Personally, I did tack on physiology. I wanted it for the MCAT and it's also fulfills a requirement for my degree. Here's my schedule for spring 2014:

- Phys I
- Orgo II (no lab)
- Global Economy
- Intro to Philosophy
- Statistics
- Into to Physiology

I went ahead with 20 hrs because I know I won't be taking any classes this summer, as I will be studying with sn2ed prep.

We should make an August 15th MCAT discussion forum when we are closer to test date!

Thanks for all of the replies, guys. I suppose I should have known from the beginning that this decision will be solely my decision. I can't say that Ihave made up my mind 100%, but I hope to soon. @Med_Fit, that sounds like a great idea.