Is this sufficient for board prep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qqw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there

I'm currently a 2nd year osteopathic student. Registered for COMLEX on the 13th and hoping to register for USMLE around the same time.

I bought the kaplan LEvel 1 program. It includes review books, online videos, a Level 1 Qbank and a Step 1 qbank. Also 2 step 1 practice exams. I also have First aid. I'm planning to use this to study for COMLEX AND USMLE. yay or nay?

I would really like to know if

-Kaplan's Qbanks are sufficient for the boards, or if id need to buy Uworld, Combank, etc in addition?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, Kaplan isn't the best prep. Most people prefer and succeed with First Aid + UWorld + combank or COMquest to get used to the COMLEX style of questions and practice the OMM questions. Kaplan questions are not good at all but that's just my opinion

Thanks for the feedback.

what exactly about kaplan's questions make them not as good? Too easy? Not written the same way?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback.

what exactly about kaplan's questions make them not as good? Too easy? Not written the same way?
From what I've read on SDN, kaplan is more nitpicking facts. Whereas Uworld makes you "think" like the board questions do. I plan to use Kaplan possibly, toward the end of my prep, to just rail off a ton of questions quickly and get some facts.

I'm using USMLERx right now. Also, if you're a D.O. student, don't you want to get combank or comquest to simulate some COMLEX questions. If for nothing else, I'd get it for the OMM questions

use Kaplan possibly, toward the end of my prep, to just rail off a ton of questions quickly and get some facts.
6ik4Ah

I've started using both Kaplan and UWorld and so far I like both. Kaplan is more details and is much more section specific - when you do cardio section they stick to cardio Qs. However UWorld integrates their content very heavily so that you may ask for cardio Q s but they will through in GI, repro, endocrine, etc in the mix.

So in my experience UWorld is great for tying together all the topics and Kaplan is best used when you first start studying and are wanting more section specific Qs.

Hope that helps... And for what it's worth I do like Kaplan, they have decent explanations and cover what you need to know... But UWorld is the superior resource for sure.

Last edited: