Is this the right major (under grad)

ShyDoctorIL

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently got accepted to Illinois State University for the Spring semester. ISU does not have a premed major so I chose Medical Laboratory Sciences. Do you think this major will help prepare me for the MCAT?
http://findyourmajor.illinoisstate.edu/downloads/PDF/4Year/medical_laboratory_sciences.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

Pre-med isn't a "major". Honestly, I don't know. But from looking at it, it doesn't look like it would prepare you that much. I know nothing about that major, but after some reading and seeing other people's opinions (on this site and other places), there are other majors that would prepare you better. Just major in what you want/like. There is no "right" major.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
doesn't look too good for mcat prep, no physics, only basic bio, basic orgo. At least you'll probably be able to get a good job after it if medicine doesn't work out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No school has a premed major. If you like the medical laboratory science, then there is no problem with majoring in it. Major in what you enjoy and take your pre-reqs.

It looks decent, but you would have to make sure you can get Physics 1 and 2 in there, and many/most med schools also require Organic 2 with a lab. I would also strongly recommend a course in Genetics and another in Physiology. If you can fit all those in with that program, it would be a solid program.

Isn't this a major that's augmented to someone who wants to be a clinical lab scientist?

I mean it's good because it can always act as a "plan B" in case something goes wrong but you will need to take extra courses to fulfill the prerequisites many medical schools have.

Hello everyone, I recently got accepted to Illinois State University for the Spring semester. ISU does not have a premed major so I chose Medical Laboratory Sciences. Do you think this major will help prepare me for the MCAT?
http://findyourmajor.illinoisstate.edu/downloads/PDF/4Year/medical_laboratory_sciences.pdf

Usually, biology majors prepare you best. But that doesn't mean you should be a biology major. Choose something you're really interested in. If that's medical lab science, great. But i highly doubt it

Joke school and joke degree. Avoid.

To MarylandMatt: I know that this is the internet and that there aren't consequences for sounding like an elitist (correct me if I misinterpreted your post), but I advise that you refrain from such statements.
I acknowledge the rigor of the prestigious university that you (will?) attend (Georgetown), but you have no right to state that ISU is a joke (people have different standards).

OT: OP, have you considered a major in Physics? I've searched online and I see that Illinois SU has a Physics major. I'm currently a third year student at Harvard, but a Physics concentration has helped me dearly (Physics has TRANSFORMED my life! I've been able to enhance my critical analysis skills....and so much more!). Although meeting "pre-med requirements" is a bit difficult when majoring in Physics (and you might struggle in medical school), you will find that the major is worth the trouble. Additionally, a degree in Physics usually = better job prospects, in case you decide to follow a career path that isn't related to medicine.
With the above being said, I recommend that you consider your options carefully. A concentration/major in Physics is very difficult, and you will experience HELL if you do not enjoy mathematics. Your major can be anything you enjoy, as long as you meet standard medical school guidelines (courses taken, etc).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
My post was purposely and exaggeratedly irreverent. OP can come back to me for a serious answer when he has done research of his own, as it seems from his sole post on the forums that he falls under the "uninformed pre-med" stereotype. There are many FAQs that will answer OP's questions, and I would love to be a resource, but only when the poster has done research and has specific questions for me to give my input on, as I detest broad, rehashed questions.

My post was purposely and exaggeratedly irreverent. OP can come back to me for a serious answer when he has done research of his own, as it seems from his sole post on the forums that he falls under the "uninformed pre-med" stereotype. There are many FAQs that will answer OP's questions, and I would love to be a resource, but only when the poster has done research and has specific questions for me to give my input on, as I detest broad, rehashed questions.

Yikes... I raised you better than that... jk.

I think we all were the, "uninformed pre-whatever" but I think the OP just doesn't know--- which is okay, to an extent. I do agree that he/she needs to do some research on requirements and all that fun stuff because knowing what you have to take and planning when to take certain courses are really important.

For the OP: I don't know much about medical school requirements, but I think your major is fine, but it's gearing towards students who want to go into that field. My major, before I changed it was forensic chemistry, and the required courses I had to take was totally unrelated to my goals and would eventually take up space for my vet school prereqs. So I decided to change my major, not only save time but money as well.

Would I personally choose this major? No, but if you can work it out, great! Good Luck.

don't choose your major based on mcat prep - that would be a horribly naive mistake. what you major in won't matter for the mcat as long as you study properly for it. in other words, when the time comes YOU will make your mcat score, not your school curriculum. think of it this way... did you high school curriculum prepare you for the SAT? it's the same sort of thing.

choose your major based on the type of job you would like in case medicine does not work out. look at the jobs obtained by people with that degree. in general i would avoid majoring in a pure science like biology/physics/etc because a major like that will not get you a good job if you want one when you graduate. a specific healthcare-related degree (probably kinda like the one are thinking of) will net you a better chance of finding a decent career if you don't make it to med school.

Reactions: 2 users
don't choose your major based on mcat prep - that would be a horribly naive mistake. what you major in won't matter for the mcat as long as you study properly for it. in other words, when the time comes YOU will make your mcat score, not your school curriculum. think of it this way... did you high school curriculum prepare you for the SAT? it's the same sort of thing.

choose your major based on the type of job you would like in case medicine does not work out. look at the jobs obtained by people with that degree. in general i would avoid majoring in a pure science like biology/physics/etc because a major like that will not get you a good job if you want one when you graduate. a specific healthcare-related degree (probably kinda like the one are thinking of) will net you a better chance of finding a decent career if you don't make it to med school.

This. Seriously, mastery in the pre-reqs + physiology and you're fine for the MCAT. Simply major in what you enjoy.