Is this the wrong approach to the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungProdigy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me how much textual (book) knowledge is needed to succeed on the MCAT? I feel like I'm focusing too much on memorization (especially for Bio) and/or mathematical problem solving (Chem). What should I be focusing on in Chem courses to better prepare myself for the MCAT? Is memorization and mathematical problem solving the wrong approach for scoring high on the test?

If you were in your first or second year of college, what would you do differently? Would you periodically review the chapters in your science textbooks? Read more classical lit? I'm just beginning my trek into the world of MCAT studying, so some guidance on this would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It is much more understanding and connecting ideas and relating them to the bigger picture than memorization. Always ask yourself questions when you go over material, like what would happen if X was not present or if X was upregulated and stuff like that.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reply. So, I've decided to go back and review Chem 1, and right now I'm on the chapter titled: Reaction in aqueous solution. i've come across electrolytes (weak and strong), solvation, precipitation reactions, etc... So, what exactly should I be focusing on? How do i know what is pertinent to the MCAT and what is not? Should i get a review book?

Thanks.

If you're just preparing for the MCAT pick up prep books, as your books from your classes will be in too much depth and not cover things the way they pertain to the MCAT. AAMC also has a list on its website that has all the topics covered on the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would avoid putting too much emphasis on reviewing material learned during undergrad courses.
Use MCAT prep books from any company and they have sufficient "content" knowledge. Princeton Review is notorious for Biology as they go into sufficient depth for you to fully grasp the material. That is not saying that sometimes you might find a topic convoluted in TPR so you will have to look it up in another resource.

http://mcat-review.org/biology.php
This website is also good for you to review the content outline and the topics MCAT expects you to know on test day. Please note that the outline is only for REVIEW purposes. For a comprehensive review of the material, you will have to study one of the company prep books.

I would avoid putting too much emphasis on reviewing material learned during undergrad courses.
Use MCAT prep books from any company and they have sufficient "content" knowledge. Princeton Review is notorious for Biology as they go into sufficient depth for you to fully grasp the material. That is not saying that sometimes you might find a topic convoluted in TPR so you will have to look it up in another resource.

http://mcat-review.org/biology.php
This website is also good for you to review the content outline and the topics MCAT expects you to know on test day. Please note that the outline is only for REVIEW purposes. For a comprehensive review of the material, you will have to study one of the company prep books.

Thanks for the reply. So how do I know how much importance to put in problem sets in a subject like chemistry? I'm sort of confused on how to differentiate between classroom material and MCAT material. For example, do I need to remember something like how to write a net ionic equation? I'm guessing the answer is no, since that may take a while and MCAT questions can all be done very quickly. So, poor example, but I hope you understand what I'm trying to get at.

Thanks for the reply. So how do I know how much importance to put in problem sets in a subject like chemistry? I'm sort of confused on how to differentiate between classroom material and MCAT material. For example, do I need to remember something like how to write a net ionic equation? I'm guessing the answer is no, since that may take a while and MCAT questions can all be done very quickly. So, poor example, but I hope you understand what I'm trying to get at.
A topic like writing net ionic equation may be too farfetched. Most MCAT passages will give you equations/chemical reactions and the questions will rather be on manipulation, application, and connection of equations to different chem concepts.
Right now focus on the bigger concepts like Equilibrium, Kinetics, Acids/Bases, etc. The rather specific stuff is not really important in my opinion. But understand the concepts rather than writing a specific equation, etc.

Sounds like you just need to look at an actual MCAT exam. Your question has been sufficiently and accurately answered, and it appears that you are unwilling to accept advice from peers who have actually taken the exam.