Is this too many science classes for a semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leserin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this isn't the kind of thing that should be posted here (I'm a newbie).

So, I didn't decide to pursue pre-med until I was well into my sophomore year, and I have yet to complete my pre-reqs (planning on a gap year). Because of this, my fall schedule for fall of senior year is going to look something like this:
Organic chemistry lab (9 hours per week)
Physics I w/lab
Epigenetics
Advanced molecular genetics

Logistically, this schedule is probably the worst I've had, but I'm hoping to make it work so I can avoid being a fifth year senior... think it's doable?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nope. I was in your shoes at one point. That schedule is very doable, but don't think it'll be a cake walk.

My next semester is biochem, physiology with lab, physics with lab, and undergrad research with a virologist. I also have some general eds, one being 3rd semester of Spanish.

Very doable, but like Moose said, it won't be a cake walk.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses. I forgot to add that I'll also be doing research on the side (virology as well!). That will be another ~10 hours per week. But I agree... it definitely won't be a cake walk.

It's only too much if you can't handle it. Know your limits.

Reactions: 1 user
It's really up to you. If you feel you can handle those courses, then go for it. I've had semesters like that, and the only reason I got through them with good grades was because of time management.

I have a full schedule while working 3 jobs. The key is planning and time management. Make every waking hour count!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you drop either of the genetics courses? It still looks like a beefy semester without it.

Now that you have been in school for a while, it is possible, though not fun. In truth, it may not be that bad to be a 5th year senior to get the pre-reqs in. You could use that extra time to volunteer, do research, etc, as well as study for the MCAT.

Can you drop either of the genetics courses? It still looks like a beefy semester without it.
I can't drop molecular genetics, but I can replace epigenetics with another upper level bio; however, I don't think it would make a huge difference since they are all about the same difficulty at this level.

Now that you have been in school for a while, it is possible, though not fun. In truth, it may not be that bad to be a 5th year senior to get the pre-reqs in. You could use that extra time to volunteer, do research, etc, as well as study for the MCAT.
Are you familiar with how med schools view fifth years? I'm actually wondering if I should start looking into that as an option. Or maybe if I spend a gap year (or two) doing research at a university, I could take prereq classes for free? Trying to figure out ways to do this without spending too much $$$.

I can't drop molecular genetics, but I can replace epigenetics with another upper level bio; however, I don't think it would make a huge difference since they are all about the same difficulty at this level.

Are you familiar with how med schools view fifth years? I'm actually wondering if I should start looking into that as an option. Or maybe if I spend a gap year (or two) doing research at a university, I could take prereq classes for free? Trying to figure out ways to do this without spending too much $$$.

It took me 5 1/2 years to finish, and on my interview trail the length of time was never brought up.

EDIT: Do not sacrifice the quality of your grades just because you want to finish in four years. It's absolutely not worth it.

It took me 5 1/2 years to finish, and on my interview trail the length of time was never brought up.

EDIT: Do not sacrifice the quality of your grades just because you want to finish in four years. It's absolutely not worth it.
Thanks for the advice. It's definitely something to consider. I'll look into my options.