Is this true about premed forums?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fdsa2495

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't use Premed101 (never even heard about it). But this link also talks about SDN.

http://bemoacademicconsulting.com/blog/files/top-5-reasons-to-avoid-online-premed-forums

Mainly, is it true that students could be traced back and get in trouble for what they've asked on these forums? I think that's just bull****, but I'm sort of scared about asking stupid stuff now.

Also, has anyone ever used BeMo is it worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Mainly, is it true that students could be traced back and get in trouble for what they've asked on these forums? I think that's just bull****, but I'm sort of scared about asking stupid stuff now. Also, has anyone ever used BeMo is it worth it?

Something to consider: The application process is scary, and applicants have questions. Applicants can get free advice at SDN, or pay for advice from consultants like BeMo. The consultants want to stay in business, so they have a profit motive in discouraging applicants from seeking free answers at SDN or other premed websites.

Reactions: 15 users
This is why anonymity is so important. A good strategy is to post in such a way that you wouldn't be embarrassed if people found out about your online presence.

Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Consider the source/bias

It is a consulting company trying to dissuade you from using forums for advice. Yes some of what they say may be true, but a savvy forum user can usually sift through the crap and find some amazing advice/information! SDN has been so incredibly helpful for me and I've gained so much knowledge that not only helped me get into medical school, but also taught me more about how to succeed in medical school and what happens afterwards.

Reactions: 8 users
Something to consider: The application process is scary, and applicants have questions. Applicants can get free advice at SDN, or pay for advice from consultants like BeMo. The consultants want to stay in business, so they have a profit motive in discouraging applicants from seeking free answers at SDN or other premed websites.

That's what I assumed, they just said that so students could pay for there consultations

Consider the source/bias

It is a consulting company trying to dissuade you from using forums for advice. Yes some of what they say may be true, but a savvy forum user can usually sift through the crap and find some amazing advice/information! SDN has been so incredibly helpful for me and I've gained so much knowledge that not only helped me get into medical school, but also taught me more about how to succeed in medical school and what happens afterwards.

I really enjoy SDN too, I had no idea about the application process and these forums have really helped me. I'm just worried about being traced back, I mean I haven't said anything bad but just the thought that your sitting in front of an interviewer and s/he knows your SDN username creeps me out.

Reactions: 1 user
I do potentially see the problem with the "hive-mind" mentality mentioned (where a false piece of information gets adopted/repeated by everyone), but I feel as though that is less of a problem on sdn. Can't comment on the other forums, but the information that gets spread here generally comes from adcoms and medical students. Plus, you can sift through the shady advice and listen to reputable members, anyway. I think it's a fantastic resource.

Also, it shouldn't be that difficult to not get tracked, unless your username/picture or bits of information you give can construct a specific image.

Make an anonymous username
Profile picture of an animal or object
No specifics that can be easily traced back
???
Profit!

Reactions: 1 users
if you say a lot of things that identify yourself like I am a first year, at x university taking chemistry 141 with professor z along with a ton of identifying info, sure you could be identified. the solution is not to do that.

I really enjoy SDN too, I had no idea about the application process and these forums have really helped me. I'm just worried about being traced back, I mean I haven't said anything bad but just the thought that your sitting in front of an interviewer and s/he knows your SDN username creeps me out.
Really? I think that would be cool, especially if you know they frequent.

It's like, I'm ready to be interviewed:
latest

I know you've heard of me.

Of course, instead of superman it's a random online pre-med, but still.. at least you can feign mysteriousness.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't use Premed101 (never even heard about it). But this link also talks about SDN.

http://bemoacademicconsulting.com/blog/files/top-5-reasons-to-avoid-online-premed-forums

Mainly, is it true that students could be traced back and get in trouble for what they've asked on these forums? I think that's just bull****, but I'm sort of scared about asking stupid stuff now.

It happened once in all of SDN history. Don't do anything stupid and you're fine.

Reactions: 2 users

I'd take any articles with a conflict of interest with a jar of iodized salt.

Members don't see this ad :)
"So let’s be clear: Using Premed101 to answer all your questions about how to get into medical school is the same as using Dr. Google to diagnose the cause of your abdominal pain"

This quote stood out to me :rolleyes:

Long as you are asking legitimate questions, you will be fine. Just don't post how you are going to change your race on the application or leave out that you were previously accepted, or lie about your volunteer hours, or not report institutional punishments or DUIs, you will be ok.

"So let’s be clear: Using Premed101 to answer all your questions about how to get into medical school is the same as using Dr. Google to diagnose the cause of your abdominal pain"

This quote stood out to me :rolleyes:

That part's not untrue. You shouldn't just blindly listen to what random people say on either of these sites. You should pay attention to what multiple established posters are telling you, and look up any stats they quote yourself, and confirm the things that they bring to your attention elsewhere. Anyone under 40 should already be extremely used to that though, it's how the internet works. If you're clueless about a subject first you look it up on wikipedia, then you find more reliable information from journals etc.

If @Goro tells you it's not worth your while to apply to a given school, immediately crossing it off your list is a terrible idea, and you're not using SDN to your advantage. Listen to his argument, read the school's site, look at their matriculation stats and then decide for yourself if his comments line up with all that information. While it seems like that shouldn't have to be stated, I guess there are some easily swayed people who will just do whatever anyone tells them to without a second thought. I'd tell those people to stay away from SDN/premed101, normies should be able to handle it.

Well, she's right about the hive mind thing. A lot of people here just repost things they read somewhere else on SDN despite having no real firsthand experience on the matter. I know they're trying to be helpful, or maybe just bored idk, but it's really doing everyone a disservice.

Um, I have to go through my Facebook timeline really quick...

Reactions: 1 users
My father is an avowed member of the Tea Party and has a low-maintenance tech job that allows him to post on my wall links to politically charged content which are typically inflammatory and controversial at best. I'm similarly inclined so that I love politics, although I seek out more reasoned sources. I'm never crass or personal in my replies and I make to be respectful in every exchange. Will this raise an eyebrow? Should I be mass deleting?

Given everything Gonnif just said, it looks like it is time to overhaul my social media privacy settings, just to be safe.

1.Don't accept strangers on facebook
2.Don't post racist stuff, drunk posts, etc It's okay to be controversial and test boundaries by asking valid questions, but controversial doesn't mean be bigoted.
3.Don't tell people who you are on SDN (reveal stats too much, tell what school you go to, etc)
4.Try to be professional on SDN (I wouldn't make comments that could appear sexist, racist, etc)
professionalism also involves the ability to refrain from slandering an institution, a residency, a med school interview, an undergrad college, etc

Constructive criticism is fine, but in my opinion just plain slander is not..
(SpongeBob med school is trash, wrong.. SpongeBob med school has low step scores, and most match into primary care, the research opportunity I'd also not present, good)

Doing the above you should be fine

Oh, and I'd also be careful about what type of photos you post of yourself on social media.. Photos of you doing illegal acts, in compromising positions, doing ridiculous stuff, etc can and will come back to haunt you..

I'd be weary of the advice of someone who is an "admissions expert" that took 3 cycles to get accepted.

My father is an avowed member of the Tea Party and has a low-maintenance tech job that allows him to post on my wall links to politically charged content which are typically inflammatory and controversial at best. I'm similarly inclined so that I love politics, although I seek out more reasoned sources. I'm never crass or personal in my replies and I make to be respectful in every exchange. Will this raise an eyebrow? Should I be mass deleting?

Are you my kid? This is why I'm not Facebook friends with my husband. I don't share his political views and although I am friends with other people who don't share my views, I don't want anyone to consider me guilty by association. You can also set up your Facebook so that no one can post to your wall unless you approve the post. Another setting is to just not allow anyone to post anything to your wall.

If you think Physicians have time to find applicants on forums or if you think administrators care enough to find applicants on forums, you're insane.

Are you my kid? This is why I'm not Facebook friends with my husband. I don't share his political views and although I am friends with other people who don't share my views, I don't want anyone to consider me guilty by association. You can also set up your Facebook so that no one can post to your wall unless you approve the post. Another setting is to just not allow anyone to post anything to your wall.

I was going to ask if they are one of my siblings. :hilarious:

I'd be weary of the advice of someone who is an "admissions expert" that took 3 cycles to get accepted.

Honestly that's how it goes most of the time with these services. There's seldom anything of value that they offer that can't be found elsewhere from more experienced sources.

There's a kid a DO school in NYC who's been pushing his admissions consultancy "business" since he was an M1 there (and as a result was permabanned from SDN last year for trying to sell on these forums). The "credentials" he was pimping on his site included the fact that he was president of Northwestern's pre-med club :rolleyes:.

But hey, he'll totally revise your essay for you if you pay him 300 dollars.

Last edited:
As I recall, the cat in the hat was rescinded for what he wrote on FB, not SDN.
someone needs to compile a book of memorable SDN history

I have adblock, and I see BeMo ads frequently on youtube videos. They are about 3-4 minutes long

So you're telling me someone can find out I smoke weed everyday? Oh well, pass the J