Is this verbal tutor the real deal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clocks123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the story on Jack Westin, the verbal tutor? I have seen many positive reviews about his services but I'm not sure if they are all real. Has anyone taken his classes before and would like to comment on his effectiveness?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the story on Jack Westin, the verbal tutor? I have seen many positive reviews about his services but I'm not sure if they are all real. Has anyone taken his classes before and would like to comment on his effectiveness?
Yeah he's the real deal. Dude made a 43 on his MCAT. I took his entire course with him and he's worth it and knows what he's talking about. Highly recommend you look into his 2015 course because it's more like an overall strategy course for the whole exam rather than a content course. It's pretty beneficial since you will learn critical thinking which is needed for success in this exam

Seems really expensive in my opinion.

I don't think "strategy" is really needed for the verbal section. Why not just take a few months to really delve into reading editorials and essays and then a bunch of practice passages?

I can't see value in a tutor at this price unless you are ESL and need training beyond your average US born applicant.

If you are really interested I would have a conversation with the person before committing to anything. I am sure that if legitimate, that is something they would do.

Yeah he's legit! I used him this past summer and my verbal went up 4 points. I can honestly say he helped me get accepted to medical school. Jack is the homie!

Btw, he does a free trial session so you can make sure you mesh well with his teaching style!

Members don't see this ad :)
He's great but I'd follow up @Cawolf advice. Exhaust yourself practicing first. If you don't improve after your best, it's time to ask Jack for help. You need to know if you can do it your way first. Even Jack asked you to do it yourway first. After that, you'll listen to his way 100 percent.

I'm a student of Jack atm. He's a great teacher. Really patient. He gave us a general foundation to work on first. This is the key for me (I'm ESL). I didn't know how to go about it. Now I generally have an idea why this answer 's wrong. Type of answer..... I didn't know how to really disect what I did wrong before. As any method, the end result's still up to you. You need to put in the practice time. Work as hard as you can. There's no easy way out. So don't expect a magic pill.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Wouldn't say he made a 43 without him showing his scores. I know he has his reasons not to show his score but... For all you guys know I made a 46 on the MCAT and I'm a tutor for the voiding section. But other then that he's not a scam or anything but everything is over Skype I believe. Maybe that might be a good or bad thing for you.

Wouldn't say he made a 43 without him showing his scores. I know he has his reasons not to show his score but... For all you guys know I made a 46 on the MCAT and I'm a tutor for the voiding section. But other then that he's not a scam or anything but everything is over Skype I believe. Maybe that might be a good or bad thing for you.
He's posted them in a thread he made previously. Plus at this point, if he was lying he would have been caught or something by people signing up

He's posted them in a thread he made previously. Plus at this point, if he was lying he would have been caught or something by people signing up

He posted his scores? Like a screen shot of it with his name? If so, then his credibility is secured right then and there lol. I just remember a thread talking about "he doesn't show it because of personal reasons" or something like that.

And yeah that's true.

Reactions: 1 user
His site says a 42.

I don't think scoring 40+ makes you qualified to be a tutor. He may very well be an excellent verbal tutor as a few people have said, but I wouldn't base my selection off of that.

His site says a 42.

I don't think scoring 40+ makes you qualified to be a tutor. He may very well be an excellent verbal tutor as a few people have said, but I wouldn't base my selection off of that.
So then base it off of previous students he's had. I am one of them, and I'm telling you he is legit. Expensive, but legit. I kid you not when I say he raised my score 4 points in just 1.5 months of working with him. No, I'm not a troll, and no I'm not getting forced to write this. I'm doing this because Jack helped me, gave me hope, and ultimately helped me get medical school acceptances this year after being a reapplicant. Jack really cares for his students progress, and I have nothing but genuinely great things to say about him. Exhaust all other options before going to him, though. Make sure that nothing else works for you. You need to be completely able to trust his method when you go to him, and you won't if you haven't tried everything on your own. Let him be your last resort.

@reapplicanthelpme2014

I personally am not looking for a tutor - I already completed the MCAT.

I was just saying I don't think scoring high makes a great case for a strong tutor. I did say that he may well be based on what others have said though.

I took sessions with Jack as well. He is, with 100% honesty, one of the best tutors I have ever seen. English is my native language (born in the US), I completed a bachelors in Bio and Psych, went to one of the top schools in my State, and still found Jack's sessions to be of incredible help. Im not paid to praise him; im just a student of his that improved tremendously in verbal due to him. I would highly consider him if your at all struggling with verbal. I posted a review of him in this thread if your interested:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...or-increase-your-score.1101091/#post-16075655

So then base it off of previous students he's had. I am one of them, and I'm telling you he is legit. Expensive, but legit. I kid you not when I say he raised my score 4 points in just 1.5 months of working with him. No, I'm not a troll, and no I'm not getting forced to write this. I'm doing this because Jack helped me, gave me hope, and ultimately helped me get medical school acceptances this year after being a reapplicant. Jack really cares for his students progress, and I have nothing but genuinely great things to say about him. Exhaust all other options before going to him, though. Make sure that nothing else works for you. You need to be completely able to trust his method when you go to him, and you won't if you haven't tried everything on your own. Let him be your last resort.

Did you get private one-on-one tutoring with him? I was looking for something one on one to improve my verbal score, but it looks like he only teaches classroom style right now.

One of his previous students here - he definitely helped me. Yes, it is expensive but the strategy really does work and you get consistent results if you put in the time and effort. If you can't afford it - I would say get the exam krackers verbal book. That's a lot cheaper and will also help you get a good strategy. If you can afford it, Jack is the way to go for CARS.

But you really need to put in the time and effort too. Just by signing up - your score won't magically increase. You need to practice properly a lot and work hard