Is this what they mean by Unique?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dante1o1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm curious: are you self-publishing or through a publishing house?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sad to say, dime a dozen.
So when I was in second grade I had an open heart surgery that changed my life. It has influenced me to pursue cardiology and become a heart surgeon so I can give back to those who were in the same situation as me.

Actually being a published author will make for some interesting conversations.
I also plan on publishing a medical fiction book by next year and another book on psychology.

Is this considered UNIQUE?

No, but you're asking the wrong question anyway. You don't need to be unique, you need to stand out.

I can understand how the two things might seem the same, but they're not. Someone with a "cookie cutter" background can craft a compelling application where they weave their background and activities and personal statement into a gripping narrative ... and someone with a seemingly "unique" story can submit an application that is dull and unmemorable.

Also, self-publishing isn't really considered "being published" or an accomplishment ... unless you've sold a significant amount of copies. Anybody can self publish.

Reactions: 3 users
@candbgirl Yes the general consensus
1. heart surgery background
2. psychology major and preparing psychology research book
3. Medical fiction pursuing publishing houses
4. Red carpet photographer

Ya definitely the self-publishing does not mean much that is why I'm trying to push it further..
Im trying to craft an application @Flintwire
that is centered on my interest in psychology and promoting health
As long as your stats are are good you should be ok.

IMO none of the above are unique. I don't even know if they are that interesting-well maybe the red carpet thing might be. What are your other ECs?

@candbgirl I have others but I think it will go way too specific. and Im only a freshman in college so I have time!
Cool now make time to change your avatar.
1) It's an unofficial rule that you shouldn't use selfies per disclosing identity
2) You look like a tool

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Imagine if the world was filled with people walking around asking "Am I unique?"
You'd get eaten up in the east too quick.

@DrHart I am only asking because I saw on another thread the whole you have to be unique? so I was just wondering no big deal.

@DrHart I am only asking because I saw on another thread the whole you have to be unique? so I was just wondering no big deal.
It's better to be good than unique.
It is the "box checker" that loses points, not the good applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
@gyngyn definitely! I am whole heartedly against people who do things just because. Its all about the reasons and the passion

"Passion" is pleasurable. Commitment is preferable.

When it comes to any activity, how long should one engage in it to show commitment?

For example if one wants to apply to schools that have a commitment to the underserved, would a ~1 year involvement in a free clinic and soup kitchen show commitment to the underserved?

When it comes to any activity, how long should one engage in it to show commitment?

For example if one wants to apply to schools that have a commitment to the underserved, would a ~1 year involvement in a free clinic and soup kitchen show commitment to the underserved?
It depends on the context. A year is pretty good, though (for a college student).

For me commitment is shown by how you kept reinventing yourself in that position . Have you always tried to push yourself in that activity and gain leadership because you genuinely feel like you want to make a difference . But what do I know...

What do you mean by "context" @gyngyn? Do you mean the expectations would be higher if they were an older non-trad?

And I don't know how anyone would show leadership at a soup kitchen or free clinic. I do enjoy helping and meeting the people that typically frequent these places though. @Dante1o1

What do you mean by "context" @gyngyn? Do you mean the expectations would be higher if they were an older non-trad?

And I don't know how anyone would show leadership at a soup kitchen or free clinic. I do enjoy helping and meeting the people that typically frequent these places. @Dante1o1
Probably if you can't as I said reinvent yourself it's time to do something that can push yourself that's when a year is enough and you should push yourself in affecting other people's lives

And I don't know how anyone would show leadership at a soup kitchen or free clinic. I do enjoy helping and meeting the people that typically frequent these places though. @Dante1o1
Yes, the expectations would be different for a 30 year old compared to a 22 year old.

Reactions: 3 users
If you went to heaven during your operation, that might make for some interesting conversation. Otherwise I would imagine that there are many people like you.

Reactions: 1 users
It's better to be good than unique.
It is the "box checker" that loses points, not the good applicants.
Box checkers tend to do quite well, largely because for whatever reason "medical mission trips" to Costa Rica and the like are for some unknown reason looked favorably upon.

Pass me another baby I don't have my quota yet.

How do you even remember what happened in second grade to have the ability to explain what you went through in detail? I can understand remembering a couple things here and there but it just seems like saying something like that would be trying too hard.

Every applicant is unique. It's what you make of it that makes you stand out.

How do you even remember what happened in second grade to have the ability to explain what you went through in detail? I can understand remembering a couple things here and there but it just seems like saying something like that would be trying too hard.
I actually do remember the specific Day exactly and the recovery process for weeks. and I met with my cardiologist who did the surgery. It definitely was impactful on my life

No they're not. Adcoms look upon them as "medical tourism". We know most people simply go on a vacation, or go see see Abuela or Ajima in the old country, then say hello to a local doctor and then call it a "mission".

So let's put this pre-med urban legend to sleep permanently, OK?

Box checkers tend to do quite well, largely because for whatever reason "medical mission trips" to Costa Rica and the like are for some unknown reason looked favorably upon.

Sad to say, dime a dozen.
So when I was in second grade I had an open heart surgery that changed my life. It has influenced me to pursue cardiology and become a heart surgeon so I can give back to those who were in the same situation as me.

Quick Question: Is it the "medical-experience personal statement" which is so common? Or is the devil in the details?

No they're not. Adcoms look upon them as "medical tourism". We know most people simply go on a vacation, or go see see Abuela or Ajima in the old country, then say hello to a local doctor and then call it a "mission".

So let's put this pre-med urban legend to sleep permanently, OK?

Not my experience, but admittedly your n > mine.

Your fingerprints are unique. That's enough with regard to unique.

Having been a patient and wanting to be like one's doctor is overdone. Furthermore, it often narrows the applicant's focus to a specific specialty or subspeciality at a very early stage in one's training which raises questions about the applicant's willingness to learn "everything", even those things that don't appear to be very related to "their" specialty.

Are you interested in scientific discovery? Are you interested in helping people, particularly the poor? The adcom will want to see evidence of those interests.

Reactions: 4 users

Pass me another baby I don't have my quota yet.

Medical missions deep into rural Appalachia or impoverished inner-city areas are more interesting. That's not "medical tourism"; that's helping people who really need it. Foreign trips are, quite frankly, mostly vacation.

With up to 10,000 applicants for a given medical school (>5000 at mine alone!), how will you stand out from your clones?
What's wrong with being cookie cutter if one does it well?

See LizzyM's age post above!
Quick Question: Is it the "medical-experience personal statement" which is so common? Or is the devil in the details?

Sadly, I never, ever see these on apps.
Medical missions deep into rural Appalachia or impoverished inner-city areas are more interesting. That's not "medical tourism"; that's helping people who really need it. Foreign trips are, quite frankly, mostly vacation.

Can you guys give any advice about how to volunteer in rural medicine? I'm familiar with RAM, but those clinics are usually only 2-3 days and so the cost of travel/lodging can be prohibitive. My googlefu is not that strong, and I mostly just got results for overseas projects. Thank you!

With up to 10,000 applicants for a given medical school (>5000 at mine alone!), how will you stand out from your clones?
What's wrong with being cookie cutter if one does it well?

See LizzyM's age post above!

Sadly, I never, ever see these on apps.

I've seen some 'Alternative Spring Break' programs that do good works in decidedly less luxurious locales. Maybe call the United Way headquarters in some of the areas in question and see if they know of any volunteer opportunities. They don't really have to be 'official' trips organized by some type of "Adventures for College Students" organization -- Or check with your own local United Way or Easter Seals if working with disabled children sounds more appealing. In my experience, there is some degree of misery to be found pretty close to everywhere...

Google is your friend. Search rural medicine volunteer USA

Can you guys give any advice about how to volunteer in rural medicine? I'm familiar with RAM, but those clinics are usually only 2-3 days and so the cost of travel/lodging can be prohibitive. My googlefu is not that strong, and I mostly just got results for overseas projects. Thank you!