Is This Worth It?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureVet90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys.

i made an update thread not that long ago and ive done some thinking.

i'm a junior and majoring in biology (pre-vet) and have a backup plan as a vet tech. i also want to add another backup plan by double majoring as biology (pre-vet) and forensic science.

as you may know from my previous threads, my gpa hasnt been good but i'm doing what it takes to get it where it needs to be. for the forensic science program, you have to have a 2.5 to get in. the advisor in the forensic program put in 2 petition forms to remove the 2 failed classes that i retook and i got a better grade in, to bump my gpa a bit. i probably wont get in the program until 2014 or so.

as far as pursuing the vet career, i'm still pushing myself. but if vet school doesnt work out, i can look at vet tech and i can look at forensic science, that way it doesnt seem like i wasted a degree this whole time.

right now my current grade is a C in math but plan to bring it up to a B or A at the end; and i have a C in gen chemistry 1 and plan to get a B or A as well ( i'm taking chem recitation as well and we will have the same grade as lecture class) my gpa should be 2.05 or maybe higher because of the petition, by the end of this semester and then after this fall, it should be 2.33 or higher.

i wont be able to see someone in career services on campus until next week, so i wanted your advice as of right now.

do you think my plan is realistic and worth pursuing?

Members don't see this ad.

Applying this year would mean that only your grades through this current semester would be seen by vet schools, not your fall grades (at least not until your application has already been considered). Unfortunately, almost all schools require at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA to be able to apply. Also, because you've gotten through so many credits, even As in those courses you mentioned won't necessarily bring you up to eligible. Another consideration is: are you sure you would be able to manage As in those classes you mentioned? How many points are still available - tests, quizzes, etc - for you to get? Do you have a plan for achieving this? How are your grades in other pre-req classes/have you taken them (I ask because gen chem is usually taken prior to organic chem/biochem/etc)?

At this point, I think you have a lot of work to do to get to the point of applying. It sounds like you need to find a way to succeed academically - usually that means changing the way you go about school entirely: your study habits, your routine, your approach to classes, etc. (I know this first hand!) I would seriously consider retaking your pre-reqs to get as many As as possible. I'm not sure how the rest of your application looks (experience hours, LOR, GRE, etc) but maximizing those aspects can never hurt.

If you think you could be happy in forensics (a field I considered when I thought my chances at vet school were shot - weird!), I would aim for that instead. But if you really want to go to vet school, it's possible, just a long haul. Good luck :luck:

I am not trying to be mean, but have you been tested for any learning disabilities? Getting into vet school requires more than well wishes and good intentions. If you are struggling to achieve a 2.5 gpa to get into this forensic science program, vet school is even more competitive with even harsher demands. You have to realize to, getting in is only part of the challenge, classes in vet school are tough, smart people once they get here do fail out. Vet school is not a cake walk.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying this year would mean that only your grades through this current semester would be seen by vet schools, not your fall grades (at least not until your application has already been considered). Unfortunately, almost all schools require at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA to be able to apply. Also, because you've gotten through so many credits, even As in those courses you mentioned won't necessarily bring you up to eligible. Another consideration is: are you sure you would be able to manage As in those classes you mentioned? How many points are still available - tests, quizzes, etc - for you to get? Do you have a plan for achieving this? How are your grades in other pre-req classes/have you taken them (I ask because gen chem is usually taken prior to organic chem/biochem/etc)?

At this point, I think you have a lot of work to do to get to the point of applying. It sounds like you need to find a way to succeed academically - usually that means changing the way you go about school entirely: your study habits, your routine, your approach to classes, etc. (I know this first hand!) I would seriously consider retaking your pre-reqs to get as many As as possible. I'm not sure how the rest of your application looks (experience hours, LOR, GRE, etc) but maximizing those aspects can never hurt.

If you think you could be happy in forensics (a field I considered when I thought my chances at vet school were shot - weird!), I would aim for that instead. But if you really want to go to vet school, it's possible, just a long haul. Good luck :luck:

hi :)

i have 2 more exams in chem and math; both are worth 100 or 200 points.

i started my pre-req's in fall 2012 but failed, so this semester i'm in the process of retaking them and i will get an A.

i went to see a student progress coordinator today and i will be seeing her in the fall; she will also make sure that im on top of my game :)

i havent gotten any vet/ animal experience yet. i do want to volunteer at a animal shelter this summer though. and maybe get a job at petsmart or something similar; i also want to finally drive, im in my early 20's and still havent drove a car. sad right?

there's so much i want to do but i have to take it one step at a time.

i just hope this double majoring will be worth pursuing and realistic.

I am not trying to be mean, but have you been tested for any learning disabilities? Getting into vet school requires more than well wishes and good intentions. If you are struggling to achieve a 2.5 gpa to get into this forensic science program, vet school is even more competitive with even harsher demands. You have to realize to, getting in is only part of the challenge, classes in vet school are tough, smart people once they get here do fail out. Vet school is not a cake walk.

i dont have any learning disabilities.

ive explained to the school why my gpa is low. i'm doing way better in my classes now, so i know i will succeed; its just some issues in my life were holding me back.

and i never said vet school was a cake walk; i know its hard. hence why i have a backup plan.

When were you thinking of applying?

I'm having a hard time telling if you're completely aware of everything that you need to do in order to apply. Pre-requisite courses (some are school-specific), experience hours, GRE scores, letters of recommendation, personal statement...I don't want to come off as rude, just want to see where you are with your understanding of the process.

I would absolutely start hunting down veterinary experience - it's worth a bit more on the application vs just animal experience and you can likely get a vet to write a LOR if it works out well.

Also, I don't think you need to double major - you can apply to vet school as any major so long as you have the pre-reqs, and if it minimizes the amount of work you have to do (which would hopefully help you stay on top of your grades) it would be beneficial to only have one major.

When were you thinking of applying?

I'm having a hard time telling if you're completely aware of everything that you need to do in order to apply. Pre-requisite courses (some are school-specific), experience hours, GRE scores, letters of recommendation, personal statement...I don't want to come off as rude, just want to see where you are with your understanding of the process.

I would absolutely start hunting down veterinary experience - it's worth a bit more on the application vs just animal experience and you can likely get a vet to write a LOR if it works out well.

Also, I don't think you need to double major - you can apply to vet school as any major so long as you have the pre-reqs, and if it minimizes the amount of work you have to do (which would hopefully help you stay on top of your grades) it would be beneficial to only have one major.

i planned on appyling in 2015 or 2016. that would be weird to apply now when i dont have everything accomplished yet.

well forensic science has criminal justice courses that needs to be taken right along with anthropology. biology courses and chemistry as well; i would be following the biology track since i'm already a biology major.

i planned on appyling in 2015 or 2016. that would be weird to apply now when i dont have everything accomplished yet.

well forensic science has criminal justice courses that needs to be taken right along with anthropology. biology courses and chemistry as well; i would be following the biology track since i'm already a biology major.

My advice would be to take classes and try to get experience as though you're going to apply. See how things go, how your grades are looking, how you're enjoying the experiences, etc, and reevaluate every semester or year to make sure things are on track and you still think it's a good option.

Honestly, it's better to have the option to apply down the road and decide later not to do it than to regret not taking the classes you need and have to retake them later (speaking from experience here).

Hey Futurevet! I know UF has some sort of Veterinary Forensics program... You might be interested in it. It is not a DVM degree, but a masters I believe. Of course, you will need to get your GPA up as high as possible still and do well on the GRE. I don't know a lot about the program, but heres the link to their website: http://forensicscience.ufl.edu/veterinary/program. This might be another option for you!

My advice would be to take classes and try to get experience as though you're going to apply. See how things go, how your grades are looking, how you're enjoying the experiences, etc, and reevaluate every semester or year to make sure things are on track and you still think it's a good option.

Honestly, it's better to have the option to apply down the road and decide later not to do it than to regret not taking the classes you need and have to retake them later (speaking from experience here).

thank you for the advice :)

Hey Futurevet! I know UF has some sort of Veterinary Forensics program... You might be interested in it. It is not a DVM degree, but a masters I believe. Of course, you will need to get your GPA up as high as possible still and do well on the GRE. I don't know a lot about the program, but heres the link to their website: http://forensicscience.ufl.edu/veterinary/program. This might be another option for you!

hello :)

i wasnt interested in veterinary forensics; i'm interested in forensics as far as helping to fight crime. working in a crime lab, for instance.

but thank you :)

hey guys.

i made an update thread not that long ago and ive done some thinking.

i'm a junior and majoring in biology (pre-vet) and have a backup plan as a vet tech.

as far as pursuing the vet career, i'm still pushing myself. but if vet school doesnt work out, i can look at vet tech and i can look at forensic science, that way it doesnt seem like i wasted a degree this whole time.

Just an aside, you do realize that getting a biology degree and being "pre vet" doesn't necessarily qualify you to be a vet tech...? Techs are skilled professionals, really should be called nurses, who either spend a long time working their way up in the profession to learn all there is to know (like modern day apprenticing) or who get a degree then take licensing exams to be a licensed/registered vet tech. It's not a default career filled with failed pre vets. It's a career and a calling all its own. Just saying...:rolleyes:

Forensics, from what I know, is also not an easy field to get into. I'm not trying to be mean, but if you want to do anything science related, Cs aren't really an option anymore.

I commend you for trying to get it all together...I just think you need to be very realistic about your chances and a future career in these fields...experience and a super strong gpa should be on your mind the most...in both fields... if that is what you really want to do. Competition is intense nowadays.

Also...can I make a request for you to just use one of your threads to update us rather than make a new one each time? Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

You could be a just biology/forensics major - you don't need to also be a pre-vet major. So take the courses to meet your forensics degree requirements and take your vet school pre-reqs as electives.

Members don't see this ad :)
Forensics, from what I know, is also not an easy field to get into. I'm not trying to be mean, but if you want to do anything science related, Cs aren't really an option anymore.

A few of my friends/acquaintances who planned on going into forensics ended up pursuing something else. There have been many budget cuts and forensics happens to be one of the departments hit hard (I was surprised when I learned this!). Plus I think it also has a lot to do with who you know and the connections you have to get in. This is just coming from what my friends told me; not sure if this is what other people experience though.

A few of my friends/acquaintances who planned on going into forensics ended up pursuing something else. There have been many budget cuts and forensics happens to be one of the departments hit hard (I was surprised when I learned this!). Plus I think it also has a lot to do with who you know and the connections you have to get in. This is just coming from what my friends told me; not sure if this is what other people experience though.

Guess everyone just watched too much csi and wanted to do it too!

I was also told by a fingerprint expert (I took a week-long summer class from him) that most people do not do forensic science full-time. They are either police officers with additional training, or researchers or professionals in other fields who act as civilian consultants/contractors for law enforcement. This was five or six years ago, so I don't know if that's still the case, but it's something you might want to look into, FutureVet.

do you think my plan is realistic and worth pursuing?

Not really. I think vet school is still a very real possibility for you, but I think your timeline is not viable. You simply aren't going to be able to get competitive in the time you mentioned (if I followed your post right?). And that's assuming you actually drag those Cs up to As, which is tougher than it sounds.

I think if you want to be realistic, you ought to plan to continue taking classes, and you ought to make sure you get straight As at this point.

Best of luck!

Just an aside, you do realize that getting a biology degree and being "pre vet" doesn't necessarily qualify you to be a vet tech...? Techs are skilled professionals, really should be called nurses, who either spend a long time working their way up in the profession to learn all there is to know (like modern day apprenticing) or who get a degree then take licensing exams to be a licensed/registered vet tech. It's not a default career filled with failed pre vets. It's a career and a calling all its own. Just saying...:rolleyes:

maybe you need to comprehend better. i never said vet techs
were for failed pre vets. vet tech was always my backup plan
since i'd still work with animals.

so you can keep your two pennies and give them to someone
else.

Not really. I think vet school is still a very real possibility for you, but I think your timeline is not viable. You simply aren't going to be able to get competitive in the time you mentioned (if I followed your post right?). And that's assuming you actually drag those Cs up to As, which is tougher than it sounds.

I think if you want to be realistic, you ought to plan to continue taking classes, and you ought to make sure you get straight As at this point.

Best of luck!

i will and know that i will bring up those C's at the end of this
semester. i really want this, so i'm going to be in the books heavy :)

else.

I think CanHardlyWait's point was that you'll probably have to go back to school to become a vet tech, to get the associate's degree. Basically I think they were just letting you know that graduating with a biology major won't be the final step for that back up plan.

No need to get hostile up in here

:)

I was also told by a fingerprint expert (I took a week-long summer class from him) that most people do not do forensic science full-time. They are either police officers with additional training, or researchers or professionals in other fields who act as civilian consultants/contractors for law enforcement. This was five or six years ago, so I don't know if that's still the case, but it's something you might want to look into, FutureVet.

yeah, this woman was saying that most are officers first. and i was thinking
that she didnt know what she was talking about.

i will look more into this because i thought forensic scientist=forensic scientist; not
becoming an officer first.

I think CanHardlyWait's point was that you'll probably have to go back to school to become a vet tech, to get the associate's degree. Basically I think they were just letting you know that graduating with a biology major won't be the final step for that back up plan.

im not being hostile.

obviously, if i want to be a vet tech, i know that i have to do their 2 yr
program first and get a license.

i wanted to double major because if im doing my best to bring up my gpa
and doing other requirements for vet school and dont get in, i dont want
to feel like getting my degree was pointless. and i already know that forensic
science is not easy as well and that " its about who you know, not what you know".
so idk why some think that im looking at my career choices as oats and honey.

Based on your current gpa...I think you may just want to stick with one major for now. It's best to excel in one rather than do mediocre or poor in two.

Not saying it isn't a possibility in the future, just for now focus on those current classes!

Also...keep in mind that everyone on here only knows what you are telling us. There's no way to get the full picture, but if you are gonna ask for advice, you have to take it all with a grain of salt. We are all just giving opinions based on what we know.

im not being hostile.

obviously, if i want to be a vet tech, i know that i have to do their 2 yr
program first and get a license.

i wanted to double major because if im doing my best to bring up my gpa
and doing other requirements for vet school and dont get in, i dont want
to feel like getting my degree was pointless. and i already know that forensic
science is not easy as well and that " its about who you know, not what you know".

Honestly I think you should study whatever is most interesting to you and see where it takes you. Without having worked in a veterinary setting or forensics how can you know that either of those is right for you? No one on this forum can tell you if working hard towards a particular goal is "worth it" for you. I think the best thing you can do for yourself is study something you really enjoy and give it your best effort to keep doors open. It's been mentioned on the forums numerous times - you don't need to study animal science, biology, or be "pre-vet" to get into vet school.

And it's not necessary at this point in time to concretely decide what you want to do career-wise. Use your college years to explore different areas. There are a lot of people out there who studied one thing but work in a completely different field and there's nothing wrong with that. The path to a career is very dynamic.

else.

Ummm, yeah. So I was aiming at letting you know that a bio degree doesn't get you a tech's job or knowledge/skill level. It was kind of implied by one of your posts, that a bio degree would be a step to a job as a tech, or that at least it wouldn't be a waste finishing your bio degree cuz you could look at being a tech if you didn't get into to vet school. Which of course you could, but you would need another degree and in that case your bio degree would be a "waste" in so much as it wouldn't have helped you obtain your goal of being a tech.
Thanks for defending me kcoughli:)
As for you futurevet- no matter how many times you post, we aren't going to be able to give you the magic advice that you are looking for. It has been said a thousand times on here to you- work harder and get better grades. Shadow in a vet clinic. That is what it takes. It's what we all did.

As for you futurevet- no matter how many times you post, we aren't going to be able to give you the magic advice that you are looking for. It has been said a thousand times on here to you- work harder and get better grades. Shadow in a vet clinic. That is what it takes. It's what we all did.

:thumbup:

yeah, this woman was saying that most are officers first. and i was thinking
that she didnt know what she was talking about.

i will look more into this because i thought forensic scientist=forensic scientist; not
becoming an officer first.

I pursued forensic science before vet school and changed my mind when I looked at my career options. You really aren't as hands on or influential as you'd like to be, and to do the cool stuff (and usually still a very monotonous job), you have to have advanced degrees. You can actually end up in better positions getting a chemistry or biology degree and applying to forensic lab positions. They want more of a basics science background (chem/bio) than a forensic background. You can always look up current job listings for what you want to do and read the descriptions/ degree requirements to get a realistic idea first hand. You'll see most of the jobs you're referring to require Chem/ bio degrees. Perfect way to get your vet prereqs in too! :thumbup:

:thumbup::thumbup:

Requoting for emphasis...

Instead of all this "planning," you should be doing. If you really want this, as you have been saying you do--or if you really want anything else in life for that matter, you have to commit yourself and do what it takes to get there. No more dancing around it.

Instead of all this "planning," you should be doing. If you really want this, as you have been saying you do--or if you really want anything else in life for that matter, you have to commit yourself and do what it takes to get there. No more dancing around it.

:thumbup: all of the above

I just want to add a word of warning: pursuing vet school admittance is really intimidating if you're not 100% sure and enthusiastic about it, because you will be competing with students who are. When you're still looking at other options or considering back up plans (which, don't get me wrong, aren't bad things in and of themselves), you get passed up by the die-hard pre-vet students who are cranking out A's and snagging the jobs and internships because they have this determined, one-track-mind approach.

With that in mind, if you want to be truly competitive (which you really need with your GPA), you need to seriously consider how much of a distraction/disturbance the double major might end up being.

Please don't take this as me bashing your back-up plan---I think it's awesome that you're interested in forensic science! I just wanted to warn you that it may set you back a bit from the other uber-focused, tunnel-vision pre-vet students.

I had to go back and read your previous "update thread" to see if I missed something, because I'm really not sure what kind of response you're looking for here. I'm not even really sure of what you're asking.

It seems to me that you're asking if your current back up plans are "worth it" (worth what? the cost? the time?) but that's a very personal decision and no one here can really answer that for you. Personally, if you're struggling to get good grades in one major I really don't think it's worth it to add on a second major. I'm sure there's probably a lot of overlap in required courses between biology/pre-vet and forensics, but I think it's more important for you to focus on one set of classes and do well in them. As others have already mentioned, a biology degree is enough to get you started in the forensics field, so it's really not necessary to complete two majors. I know you said you have some issues that have held you back academically - have you worked to fully resolve those? Even if you do feel you've put those issues behind you, as someone who has also struggled with grades in the past I can tell you that it's very easy to slip back into old habits and start falling behind again. So while it's great that you're headed in the right direction now, it's still not a good idea to overload yourself, especially so soon. It only takes a few bad grades to trash your GPA, but unfortunately it takes a lot of good ones to bring it back up again. As a junior you probably already have a lot of credits on your record too, so it's going to be even harder to make any significant changes to your GPA. Keep that in mind before you start adding on extra work for yourself.

I also think you REALLY need to get out and get some experience in the fields you're interested in. The fact that you've reached your junior year as a pre-vet major and still have no animal or veterinary experience absolutely baffles me. How can you possibly know that you're truly interested in veterinary medicine if you've never actually worked in the field? Most pre-vets have at least a few hundred hours under their belts by now, so you have a lot of catching up to do. It is possible to get into vet school with a less than stellar GPA (check out my stats in the Successful Applicants thread if you're curious) but you're going to need good GRE scores and a LOT of experience hours to make up for it. I really don't think your vet tech backup plan is "worth it" for you right now. For one thing, it seems like a complete waste of time and money to go back and get an associate's degree for vet tech certification after you've already spent four years obtaining a biology degree. For another, since you have no experience in the field you really have no idea what a vet tech's day to day job is like. I highly recommend getting some real veterinary experience as soon as possible.

Same goes for forensic science. I think you really need to look into this field more before you start pursuing it as a second major. It is not at all as exciting or glamorous as CSI makes it seem (yes, I'm sure you probably know this, but it's worth restating). You said you want to "help fight crime" and while it's true that forensic scientists are of critical importance to solving crimes, you're really not going to get that "fighting crime" feeling working in a forensic lab. You won't be privy to every single detail about the case you're working on the way the characters on the show are. Nine times out of ten, you'll be handed a sample and told "Test for X" and you'll run the test and that will be it - you may never know exactly what case that test contributed to. Not only that, but you won't be devoting all of your time and energy to one case at a time the way they do on the show. Usually you'll be running multiple tests for multiple cases at a time, and the work is often routine and can be tedious. So if you haven't already, definitely do some serious research into this field, and try to do some shadowing or something if you can find a lab that will allow it. I'm not sure where you're located, but in my area a number of the larger universities have forensic science intro programs and summer camps to give students a more hands-on experience. If you can find one in your area, definitely check it out before you commit to that second major!

You asked for opinions, and that's what you got. Honestly, I don't think it's a good idea for you to tack on another major when you're already struggling to get decent grades. I also don't think vet tech is a suitable alternative after obtaining a four year degree, especially since you mention that you don't want to be left feeling like your degree was useless. If you want to go into the veterinary field, it's time to buckle down and work for it. Work hard in your classes and get good grades in all your pre-reqs. Get real hands on experience in a veterinary clinic. If you're serious about applying to vet school in a couple years, then you need to start seriously working towards it NOW. It's fine to have backup plans, but based on your post I'm kind of getting the sense that you're waffling and don't know which direction to go in. You really need to decide if vet school is the right path for you, and decide quickly, because many of the applicants you'll be up against are already light years ahead of you. You've got some serious catching up to do, but it's totally doable if you're willing to work for it.

This is what it all comes down there. If this is what you really want, then it's time to go out there and get it. :thumbup:

@FutureVet90

I feel that you should definitely examine your motivations and efforts before diving head first into veterinary medicine. Even for well-qualified applicants, it can take many cycles to get accepted and even then, it still is a big, big struggle to get through vet school and become a licensed veterinarian.

I've been on the forums for a little over a year now, and I feel like I've seen your name and posts many times with you asking for advice from others, but when they did give you advice, you often ignore it, get defensive, or even downright hostile.

Maybe it's time to start re-thinking if your attitude is the problem preventing you from actually doing things - reading those textbooks, getting those grades and experiences, asking (humbly) for advice and working on improving your stats. You should also note that veterinary medicine still remains a very, very, small and tight-knit community and many of the people posting in this forum you may meet one day or another in some sort of conference or talk. It wouldn't hurt to genuinely consider some of their advice, and to phrase your responses (and questions) a bit better and in a more professional manner.

That being said, I do think it's very hard, but possible to enter vet school with a low GPA. It will take a lot of work on your part, but if you think vet school is your calling, good luck! :)

@FutureVet90

I feel that you should definitely examine your motivations and efforts before diving head first into veterinary medicine. Even for well-qualified applicants, it can take many cycles to get accepted and even then, it still is a big, big struggle to get through vet school and become a licensed veterinarian.

I've been on the forums for a little over a year now, and I feel like I've seen your name and posts many times with you asking for advice from others, but when they did give you advice, you often ignore it, get defensive, or even downright hostile.

Maybe it's time to start re-thinking if your attitude is the problem preventing you from actually doing things - reading those textbooks, getting those grades and experiences, asking (humbly) for advice and working on improving your stats. You should also note that veterinary medicine still remains a very, very, small and tight-knit community and many of the people posting in this forum you may meet one day or another in some sort of conference or talk. It wouldn't hurt to genuinely consider some of their advice, and to phrase your responses (and questions) a bit better and in a more professional manner.

That being said, I do think it's very hard, but possible to enter vet school with a low GPA. It will take a lot of work on your part, but if you think vet school is your calling, good luck! :)

This.

I just want to add a word of warning: pursuing vet school admittance is really intimidating if you're not 100% sure and enthusiastic about it, because you will be competing with students who are. When you're still looking at other options or considering back up plans (which, don't get me wrong, aren't bad things in and of themselves), you get passed up by the die-hard pre-vet students who are cranking out A's and snagging the jobs and internships because they have this determined, one-track-mind approach.

With that in mind, if you want to be truly competitive (which you really need with your GPA), you need to seriously consider how much of a distraction/disturbance the double major might end up being.

Please don't take this as me bashing your back-up plan---I think it's awesome that you're interested in forensic science! I just wanted to warn you that it may set you back a bit from the other uber-focused, tunnel-vision pre-vet students.

thanks for your advice and i dont see this as bashing :)

i dont think it will be a distraction because it will overlap; i'm a biology major already and once i double major in forensics, i will follow the biology track which has the same courses as biology major but with criminal justice and anthropology as well.

I pursued forensic science before vet school and changed my mind when I looked at my career options. You really aren't as hands on or influential as you'd like to be, and to do the cool stuff (and usually still a very monotonous job), you have to have advanced degrees. You can actually end up in better positions getting a chemistry or biology degree and applying to forensic lab positions. They want more of a basics science background (chem/bio) than a forensic background. You can always look up current job listings for what you want to do and read the descriptions/ degree requirements to get a realistic idea first hand. You'll see most of the jobs you're referring to require Chem/ bio degrees. Perfect way to get your vet prereqs in too! :thumbup:

i've been doing some reflecting and i think i want to start off as a vet tech first but still want to double major since employers will be looking more at graduates with bio or chem degrees. if my plan makes sense to you?

I had to go back and read your previous "update thread" to see if I missed something, because I'm really not sure what kind of response you're looking for here. I'm not even really sure of what you're asking.

It seems to me that you're asking if your current back up plans are "worth it" (worth what? the cost? the time?) but that's a very personal decision and no one here can really answer that for you. Personally, if you're struggling to get good grades in one major I really don't think it's worth it to add on a second major. I'm sure there's probably a lot of overlap in required courses between biology/pre-vet and forensics, but I think it's more important for you to focus on one set of classes and do well in them. As others have already mentioned, a biology degree is enough to get you started in the forensics field, so it's really not necessary to complete two majors. I know you said you have some issues that have held you back academically - have you worked to fully resolve those? Even if you do feel you've put those issues behind you, as someone who has also struggled with grades in the past I can tell you that it's very easy to slip back into old habits and start falling behind again. So while it's great that you're headed in the right direction now, it's still not a good idea to overload yourself, especially so soon. It only takes a few bad grades to trash your GPA, but unfortunately it takes a lot of good ones to bring it back up again. As a junior you probably already have a lot of credits on your record too, so it's going to be even harder to make any significant changes to your GPA. Keep that in mind before you start adding on extra work for yourself.

I also think you REALLY need to get out and get some experience in the fields you're interested in. The fact that you've reached your junior year as a pre-vet major and still have no animal or veterinary experience absolutely baffles me. How can you possibly know that you're truly interested in veterinary medicine if you've never actually worked in the field? Most pre-vets have at least a few hundred hours under their belts by now, so you have a lot of catching up to do. It is possible to get into vet school with a less than stellar GPA (check out my stats in the Successful Applicants thread if you're curious) but you're going to need good GRE scores and a LOT of experience hours to make up for it. I really don't think your vet tech backup plan is "worth it" for you right now. For one thing, it seems like a complete waste of time and money to go back and get an associate's degree for vet tech certification after you've already spent four years obtaining a biology degree. For another, since you have no experience in the field you really have no idea what a vet tech's day to day job is like. I highly recommend getting some real veterinary experience as soon as possible.

Same goes for forensic science. I think you really need to look into this field more before you start pursuing it as a second major. It is not at all as exciting or glamorous as CSI makes it seem (yes, I'm sure you probably know this, but it's worth restating). You said you want to "help fight crime" and while it's true that forensic scientists are of critical importance to solving crimes, you're really not going to get that "fighting crime" feeling working in a forensic lab. You won't be privy to every single detail about the case you're working on the way the characters on the show are. Nine times out of ten, you'll be handed a sample and told "Test for X" and you'll run the test and that will be it - you may never know exactly what case that test contributed to. Not only that, but you won't be devoting all of your time and energy to one case at a time the way they do on the show. Usually you'll be running multiple tests for multiple cases at a time, and the work is often routine and can be tedious. So if you haven't already, definitely do some serious research into this field, and try to do some shadowing or something if you can find a lab that will allow it. I'm not sure where you're located, but in my area a number of the larger universities have forensic science intro programs and summer camps to give students a more hands-on experience. If you can find one in your area, definitely check it out before you commit to that second major!

You asked for opinions, and that's what you got. Honestly, I don't think it's a good idea for you to tack on another major when you're already struggling to get decent grades. I also don't think vet tech is a suitable alternative after obtaining a four year degree, especially since you mention that you don't want to be left feeling like your degree was useless. If you want to go into the veterinary field, it's time to buckle down and work for it. Work hard in your classes and get good grades in all your pre-reqs. Get real hands on experience in a veterinary clinic. If you're serious about applying to vet school in a couple years, then you need to start seriously working towards it NOW. It's fine to have backup plans, but based on your post I'm kind of getting the sense that you're waffling and don't know which direction to go in. You really need to decide if vet school is the right path for you, and decide quickly, because many of the applicants you'll be up against are already light years ahead of you. You've got some serious catching up to do, but it's totally doable if you're willing to work for it.

This is what it all comes down there. If this is what you really want, then it's time to go out there and get it. :thumbup:

thank you for advice :)

the reason why i'm a junior now and still havent gotten any experience is because i didnt change to pre-vet until spring 2011. i have 63 credit hours right now; both degrees require 124 credit hours.

a petition for a class i retook and got a good grade in, was appealed this week and my gpa is boosted a little. i have another petition on hold until my grades are posted at the end of this semester that will help my gpa as well.

i probably wont get into the forensics program until spring 2014 or so.

as ive just told emiloo, i think i want to start of as a vet tech but still want to double major since most employers will be looking more at graduates with bio or chem degrees.
@FutureVet90

thank you :)

i've been doing some reflecting and i think i want to start off as a vet tech first but still want to double major since employers will be looking more at graduates with bio or chem degrees. if my plan makes sense to you?

You've got it completely backwards if that is the way you want to go. Vet clinics will not be interested in Bio or Chem Degrees, they will be interested in a Vet Tech Associates degree, which is completely different schooling. If you want to start out as a Vet Tech and go from there, then I recommend getting into a Veterinary Technician Associate degree program ASAP and work on that. If after a couple years working as a Tech, you think you still want to pursue to become a DVM, then go back to school and finish your pre-reqs for Vet School. And no, most of your Vet Tech classes(probably all) will NOT be considered acceptable for your pre-reqs for Vet School.

You've got it completely backwards if that is the way you want to go. Vet clinics will not be interested in Bio or Chem Degrees, they will be interested in a Vet Tech Associates degree, which is completely different schooling. If you want to start out as a Vet Tech and go from there, then I recommend getting into a Veterinary Technician Associate degree program ASAP and work on that. If after a couple years working as a Tech, you think you still want to pursue to become a DVM, then go back to school and finish your pre-reqs for Vet School. And no, most of your Vet Tech classes(probably all) will NOT be considered acceptable for your pre-reqs for Vet School.

im very aware of what is required at a vet cliniic, which is the 2 yr degree. if you read more, i said that i think i want to start off as a vet tech BUT still want to double major with my biology and add forensic science since most employers look more at bio or chem degrees.

and i KNOW that vet tech classes arent equivalent to pre-vet classes.

im very aware of what is required at a vet cliniic, which is the 2 yr degree. if you read more, i said that i think i want to start off as a vet tech BUT still want to double major with my biology and add forensic science since most employers look more at bio or chem degrees.

and i KNOW that vet tech classes arent equivalent to pre-vet classes.

You made it sound like you want to start off working as a Vet Tech at a clinic and that the employers AT THE CLINIC would rather you have a BIO or CHEM degree. Clinics do NOT care about BIO and CHEM degrees. Phrase your sentences better, please. If you double major in BIO and CHEM and then end up doing Vet Tech degree after that and decide to work as a Tech, you just wasted 4+ years and a LOT of money on useless degrees. Why not be smarter about your time and finances and go do the Vet Tech degree first, if that's your goal. Right now, you don't have the commitment for Vet School. You need to REALLY want to go, not be so wishy washy about what you want to do.

It might be in your best interest to take some time off and figure out what you actually want to do. In your time off, volunteer in fields you are interested in to see if you really want to go into them.

You made it sound like you want to start off working as a Vet Tech at a clinic and that the employers AT THE CLINIC would rather you have a BIO or CHEM degree. Clinics do NOT care about BIO and CHEM degrees. Phrase your sentences better, please. If you double major in BIO and CHEM and then end up doing Vet Tech degree after that and decide to work as a Tech, you just wasted 4+ years and a LOT of money on useless degrees. Why not be smarter about your time and finances and go do the Vet Tech degree first, if that's your goal. Right now, you don't have the commitment for Vet School. You need to REALLY want to go, not be so wishy washy about what you want to do.

It might be in your best interest to take some time off and figure out what you actually want to do. In your time off, volunteer in fields you are interested in to see if you really want to go into them.

i think you need to read better...

'the bio or chem degree' sentence was referring to forensic science. not vet tech clinic, forensic science!!

i was talking about double majoring for forensic science. ok?

i'm already a biology major, so i thought about adding another major, which is forensic science. ok?

most employers in forensic science look at graduates with bio or chem degrees, so i thought i could keep my biology major while majoring in forensic science and following the biology track since i'm already a bio major. ok?

also, i thought of vet tech instead vet school because of my situation and try again for vet school at a later time.

ok?

Make a choice. Your forenscis/bio plan, or vet tech certification.

Normally people don't recommend being a registered tech first due to the time it takes and classes not being applicable towards DVM admissions, but you need experience and some time to get yourself in order before you have a shot of getting into vet school anyway.

You want advice about whether your 'plans are worth it'? I say, no, they are not. Take some time off and figure out what direction you want to go. Stop wasting your time and money waffling around.

That is my advice about your "plans".

Make a choice. Your forenscis/bio plan, or vet tech certification.

Normally people don't recommend being a registered tech first due to the time it takes and classes not being applicable towards DVM admissions, but you need experience and some time to get yourself in order before you have a shot of getting into vet school anyway.

yeah, i know.

as far as classes for dvm admissions, my bio degree will have the pre-reqs

i was talking about double majoring for forensic science. ok?

i'm already a biology major, so i thought about adding another major, which is forensic science. ok?

most employers in forensic science look at graduates with bio or chem degrees, so i thought i could keep my biology major while majoring in forensic science and following the biology track since i'm already a bio major. ok?

also, i thought of vet tech instead vet school because of my situation and try again for vet school at a later time.

ok?

OKAY!!

You go ahead and do that, then! If you're so convinced that we've got you all wrong, why don't you just saunter off and do your thing?

Frankly I am sick of you back talking the members of this forum whenever they give you the advice that YOU ask for. Most of these people know what they are talking about, since many of them have been accepted to vet school.

Sorry to be "that angry chick," everyone. Rough week and my patience has worn thin.

OKAY!!

You go ahead and do that, then! If you're so convinced that we've got you all wrong, why don't you just saunter off and do your thing?

Frankly I am sick of you back talking the members of this forum whenever they give you the advice that YOU ask for. Most of these people know what they are talking about, since many of them have been accepted to vet school.

Sorry to be "that angry chick," everyone. Rough week and my patience has worn thin.

oh ok.

anyway, him and obviously you were reading like i didnt know what i was talking about.

read correctly and i wouldnt have to type the way that i do.

It's not worth getting riled up over, guys. :( This likely won't be the last thread on the subject.

Everyone has done their best and given you sound advice, FutureVet. I hope you found what you were looking for. I wish you the best of luck.

Please go into forensic science so we aren't fellow colleagues.