Is TRI/Traditional year a legitimate backup to a Specialty gone Unmatched?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justaman14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I need some advice in regards to Radiology. So I have 4 Interviews; all of which I will rank. After this I have about 8 IM options; all which I've admittedly worked very hard for. However, I am certain, not because of the money, though of course that helps, that intellectually and socially radiology is best for me. My question is as follows; and it is a three part question/finished with a conclusion inquiry.

1. If I were to do a traditional year and during the same match session (in the case I did not rank into Rads but did into Traditional) and after my traditional placement; scramble into an (advanced) MD radiology spot (with a potential for reapplying next year for Radiology if Scramble doesn't work out - with the benefit of a great Step 3 Grade accumulated in the meantime) ; is this more or less risky than simply scrambling into a (categorical.)

2. In conclusion; If I love Radiology, love IM but fear cynicism and the bureaucratic implications of the field and think I might be happier in Rad, should I

Option 1. Drop IM &
A) Solo Scramble into -Categorical- Rads (without Traditional Year)
B) Traditional Year with Scramble into -Advanced- Rads with a potential re-application next year if that scramble does not work out?
Option 2. Hold onto IM and place the Traditional Option Last.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.