Is trig a necessary pre-pre-req?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vince411

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if any advice on whether it is necessary to take an entire semester in trig solely for the purpose of non-calc based physics?

Members don't see this ad.

No. Just learn soh cah toa like the night before.

Reactions: 1 user
You will need to know how to work with logs and natural logs for general chem. You will also need to know how to use sine, cosine and tangent, how do unit conversions, and how to rearrange equations and solve them for x. There's no need to take an entire trig course if you are reasonably good in math. I retaught myself how to use logs and natural logs from Wikipedia, and that was all I needed for the prereq classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will need to know how to work with logs and natural logs for general chem. You will also need to know how to use sine, cosine and tangent, how do unit conversions, and how to rearrange equations and solve them for x. There's no need to take an entire trig course if you are reasonably good in math. I retaught myself how to use logs and natural logs from Wikipedia, and that was all I needed for the prereq classes.
What about for physics? My college lists algebra and trig as "prerequisites" for non-calc based physics, but others have said you don't need a full course on trig to do well in physics??

The list of math skills I gave covers what you'll need in all the prerequisites, including physics. A full trig course is not necessary unless it is required at your college.