Is type of scientific research important for an MSTP program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will this affect my chances?

• Total voters

because101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently an undergraduate sophomore, dreaming of doing an MSTP program. I am currently working in a lab (paid) and have been doing so since the summer. My PI is fantastic and extremely helpful with letting me understand the workings of basic science research. I already have a project on the works, and have been assured a first author position on the paper. I'm not sure what research I'm interested in, so I decided to join this lab to learn about pathology. The only problem is this: the lab is one that studies veterinary medicine. That being said, we do research on a genus of bacteria that is a zoonosis, so it can still affect humans, but the projects are all animal oriented. So, the research will all be focused on veterinary medicine.

Should I be concerned about this? Will MSTP programs be less likely to accept me because of this?

(My GPA is good so I'm not too worried about that, just the research)

I should also mention, that I do have medical related experience. I have been volunteering at a local hospital, and will have 200+ hours by the time I apply. Don't know if this helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You need a better dream.

But don't worry, this research will be just fine, as long as you can discuss it intelligently (both in writing and F2F). Especially if you can talk up the potential human implications.

Reactions: 1 user
It is biomedical research despite being performed in a Veterinary School. You might not be aware but there is a similar program than MSTP for Veterinarian Medicine/PhD. What people will ask you in the interview trail is what is the big picture in extrapolating the results to humans. As long as you can provide a cogent answer and do not look stone-faced as deer under the highlights, you would be just fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so very much for your response. This has been in the back of my mind for the past month or so and your response helps me immensely.