Is UCLA DGSOM even possible to get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alkylated

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My current status:
Graduated with BA in Liberal Arts
The Phi Beta Kappa Society
3.84 cumulative gpa
3.80 science gpa
2 years of research
volunteer in the ER department for the past 2.5 months (~60hrs)
coached middle school basketball for 1 year
volunteer for a disaster relief organization for more than 5 years
tutored chemistry for 2 years (~10 hrs per week)

I plan to take the MCAT at the end of the year. What score should be decent enough to get into UCLA DGSOM? What other activities should I do to increase my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely up the clinical exposure. If there were an algorithm for getting into med school, we would tell you. There isn't. It's a crapshoot and none of us can really tell you what is good enough for UCLA DGSOM.

Reactions: 1 user
Not without any evidence that you know what you're getting into, or that you really want to be around patients for the next 30-40 years.

My current status:
Graduated with BA in Liberal Arts
The Phi Beta Kappa Society
3.84 cumulative gpa
3.80 science gpa
2 years of research
volunteer in the ER department for the past 2.5 months (~60hrs)
coached middle school basketball for 1 year
volunteer for a disaster relief organization for more than 5 years
tutored chemistry for 2 years (~10 hrs per week)

I plan to take the MCAT at the end of the year. What score should be decent enough to get into UCLA DGSOM? What other activities should I do to increase my chances?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not without any evidence that you know what you're getting into, or that you really want to be around patients for the next 30-40 years.
I totally agree with you! I also agree with claduva94! By the time I apply to the next cycle, I'll have about 1000 hrs of volunteer experience in the ER department. In addition, I plan to shadow a doctor of internal medicine and a surgeon. It may be difficult to get that shadowing position, but my back up plan is to apply to a clinical internship.

A 3.8 GPA is highly competitive for UCLA. Median MCAT score is 35, with a floor of 28. Aim for 33+. I assume you're CA resident. Odds of OOS are ~ 21/175, and you can bet those were superstars.

I totally agree with you! I also agree with claduva94! By the time I apply to the next cycle, I'll have about 1000 hrs of volunteer experience in the ER department. In addition, I plan to shadow a doctor of internal medicine and a surgeon. It may be difficult to get that shadowing position, but my back up plan is to apply to a clinical internship.

Get some research under your belt. Having some leadership activities would help too (ie volunteering).

Please do something more meaningful than 1000hr of ER volunteering. Quality over quantity.

Last edited:
What if I had a C at the end of the semester, will that affect my chances to get into UCLA DGSOM? Most of my science grades for the first 3 years in college have been in the A+ range, and maybe a couple of A- and a B+. In my last year of college, I had so many things going on and I had to cope with some family emergencies. If it wasn't for that class, my science GPA will be close to 3.90.

What if I had a C at the end of the semester, will that affect my chances to get into UCLA DGSOM? Most of my science grades for the first 3 years in college have been in the A+ range, and maybe a couple of A- and a B+. In my last year of college, I had so many things going on and I had to cope with some family emergencies. If it wasn't for that class, my science GPA will be close to 3.90.
It can't help but it won't throw you out of the ring completely. The bigger picture here is that you shouldn't put all of your eggs in one basket. The acceptance rate for UCLA is something like 4%, so it's not worth aiming for UCLA and UCLA alone.

It can't help but it won't throw you out of the ring completely. The bigger picture here is that you shouldn't put all of your eggs in one basket. The acceptance rate for UCLA is something like 4%, so it's not worth aiming for UCLA and UCLA alone.
Yes, diversification does reduce the variance, and I'm planning to apply to between 20 and 30 medical schools. I could retake the class and do well in it; however, I could be doing better things like research, job-shadow, leadership services, etc... Are any of you aware of certain qualities that UCLA medical school is looking for?

Yes, diversification does reduce the variance, and I'm planning to apply to between 20 and 30 medical schools. I could retake the class and do well in it; however, I could be doing better things like research, job-shadow, leadership services, etc... Are any of you aware of certain qualities that UCLA medical school is looking for?
Why are you so fixated on getting into UCLA? Focus on becoming a stronger, more well-rounded applicant for all schools instead of attempting to cater your app to a single school.

Why are you so fixated on getting into UCLA? Focus on becoming a stronger, more well-rounded applicant for all schools instead of attempting to cater your app to a single school.
Well, because it's my dream school. And I agree with you. Can you please be more specific about being a stronger, more well-rounded applicant?

Your GPA is clearly great and I wouldn't worry about the C you got. Are you a CA resident? At this point I would focus on the MCAT. A 35 would make you very competitive.