Is verbal going to ruin me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phliu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My MCAT scores are V6/P12/B14 (32M). I have 3.65 GPA and experiences of doing research and volunteer. English is not my native language. If I have a good personal statement, could my high science scores on the MCAT compensate for my low verbal?

Do I have chance to get into some 2nd-tier schools (ex. Case Western, Ohio State, University of Rochester, and University of Wisconsin)?

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, you would likely get screened out for the 6. I have heard of people calling and asking schools if they have a set cutoff for subsection scores...don't know about the schools you've mentioned. The good news is, if you can improve your VR just 2 or 3 points, you'd be better off by miles. I know it's easier said than done, but you got a 14 in Bio, so you are more than academically capable. You just need to learn to comprehend English the MCAT way.

Good luck...hopefully someone here can answer your question specifically in reference to the schools you've listed.

My MCAT scores are V6/P12/B14 (32M). I have 3.65 GPA and experiences of doing research and volunteer. English is not my native language. If I have a good personal statement, could my high science scores on the MCAT compensate for my low verbal?

Do I have chance to get into some 2nd-tier schools (ex. Case Western, Ohio State, University of Rochester, and University of Wisconsin)?
call some schools and ask around.
the dean of yale med talked about a student getting a "34 the hard way." he got a 15/15/4 (4 in vr because he was not a native speaker... english was like his 3rd or 4th language). if you explain your circumstances, you may have a chance.

but if you were a native speaker... that is score would raise tons of red flags and or you'd get screened because it seems most schools want at least 8 in each section.

buuut, at the same time, an applicant named flaaless got into a top school with a 7 in verbal last year so idk..and yes he was screened out of some schools like wake forest too.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will not have a chance at the mid-selectivity schools. Look at the School Selection spreadsheet stickied to the top of this forum. Check the bottom tenth percentile for verbal accepted at each school. You'll see that there are a handful of schools at the bottom of the list where you might fit in.

You need to retake the MCAT and do better on verbal. The MCAT Discussion Forum has some posts about how to improve verbal.

Thank you very much, guys!
I'll check the minimum verbal score for each school. I think it's too late for me to take another MCAT...if unfortunately i didn't get in this year, I will have to retake it and reapply next year. :(:(:(

Hey I wonder where can I explain to the schools that I'm not a native Eng speaker? I would like to explain it to med schools too.

The amcas application asks you which languages you speak, and what is your primary language. You could probably discuss it in your personal statement if you wanted

The amcas application asks you which languages you speak, and what is your primary language. You could probably discuss it in your personal statement if you wanted
Oh shot I think I've put English as my first language because I don't want to be looked down at...

If a Secondary application asks about a challenge you faced, a stress and how you handled it, or factors effecting your academic progress (it seemed to me that most do) perhaps you can fit it in there.

Oh shot I think I've put English as my first language because I don't want to be looked down at...

I think the question was primary language spoken at home, not necessarily first. But my memory could be betraying me (I'm getting old). I don't think you'd be looked down upon...you're a US citizen who is multilingual, which adds diversity to the class.:thumbup:

Besides, with your MCAT and GPA...I don't think you need to do any explaining.