Is volunteering at the hospital for 2+ years necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wahoo2010

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since my parents are doctors, I understand how stressful and difficult the career of a doctor is. Nevertheless, I'm determined to become a doctor. As a sophomore in college, I will volunteer at the hospital for 3 hours/week. Besides doing research, volunteering in non-clinical activities, having a leadership position in a club I'm very passionate about, shadowing doctors, tutoring, and coaching a sport team, is volunteering at the hospital for only a year sufficient for medical school admission?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not even 'necessary' at all. Do it because you want to. Do it because you enjoy it. Don't bother if it's just to fill in a check mark.

Oh, please don't "foreshadow" doctors. :rolleyes: Just shadow them.

Volunteer enough that you know what you're getting into. That said, in my opinion, you need 6 months to put doubts outside of an adcoms mind about lack of experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Volunteer enough that you know what you're getting into. That said, in my opinion, you need 6 months to put doubts outside of an adcoms mind about lack of experience.

Sounds reasonable. It's not about quantity -- you need to see what doctors do, get some good experiences to talk about in a PS or interview, and know what you are getting yourself into. Because you are going to be literally spending most of your life in the hospital, and not always in a scut-free way.

If you do put two years into volunteer work and absolutely despise it, then the ADCOMS will surely see this when they ask you about it.

Just to echo the sentiment, do something that you are passionate about.