Is work path or state function, or both?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the equation for work is:

W=Fd

in which d is the displacement of the object. So for example if, you raise a box 1 meter and then lower it 1 meter, work is zero since the displacement is also zero.

But I also keep hearing how work is a path function, and came across this idea on the internet that work is only a state function when under the influence of a conservative force field, such as gravity, and work is a path function otherwise.

So taking this into consideration, the work done by the gravity to raise a box 1 meter and then lower 1 meter is zero, but is work done by ME to raise a box 1 meter and then lower 1 meter also zero?

Also, are there any other conservative force fields that we will see on the MCAT? If so, what are they? For example, would electric fields also conservative??

Members don't see this ad.

Work itself is a path dependent function. The change in energy is path independent (i.e., state function). I know it's weird, but think of it this way:

If I want to calculate the Work done, I have two options:
1. I can use the work equation, making sure to use the parallel force that was applied across a displaced space
2. If there is no heat exchange (q), I can look at the starting and end point, and see what the energy difference is. Since the change in energy of a system can only be done through Work or heat - and there's no heat - the difference will correspond to Work.

Work is path dependent.

Let's say you want to go from NYC to LA. You can take a straight path or you can zigzag. If you zigzag, the work will be more. At the end, however, you end up in the same place.