Is your pic scheduling fair?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ineeddrug

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i dont think my manager schedule fairly.

She always takes opening shift except one day. She says that she cannot work closing shift because she has kids. (I have kids too.) Her excuse: she is a manager & mom. Vs. you are just staff & dad.

Whenever she works, she always schedule good techs with her. I get all newbies.
Her excuse: opening shift needs good techs. But then she takes all good techs when she closes.

She doesn't want to work on weekends or holidays. I worked last 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Chriatmas eve, (we closed on Christmas), New Year's eve. Easter.
Her excuses: she goes to church on Sun. Doing volunteer on Sat. Has big family to cook for or visit.

I told her couple of times about unfairneas of schedule, but nothing changes. & started complaining how slow I am. (With all those newbies who can only do pickup station)

I want to transfer to other store but there is no opening. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

This is normal, pic can make the schedule however she wants. It's one of their perk. If you get an a5shole like this one, you get all the bad shifts and all weekends.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is normal, pic can make the schedule however she wants. It's one of their perk. If you get an a5shole like this one, you get all the bad shifts and all weekends.

what company is this?

At CVS the pharmacy manager can do the actual pharmacist schedule (not just schedule templates).

I like how everyone assumed this was CVS.

Yes this is normal. The person who makes the schedule always gets the good shifts. They always have an excuse that makes their life more important than everyone else's. At my store the rph who makes the schedule has been there for 20+ years, and I've only been there 1... so no one cares about my schedule.

Reactions: 1 user
You guys must be working with some nasty pics

I know of one PIC who never grants the other pharmacists time off once it falls outside the vacation scheduling period. However, when she needs a day off she schedules herself four 10-hr shifts for the week so she doesn't have to use a vacation day.
Glad I don't work in her pharmacy.

Wow that is so dirty. I don't know if you really have options other than going to the supervisor or human resources. Alternatively you could threaten to quit if the schedule isn't fair but you have to actually be willing to do it for that to work.

i dont think my manager schedule fairly.

She always takes opening shift except one day. She says that she cannot work closing shift because she has kids. (I have kids too.) Her excuse: she is a manager & mom. Vs. you are just staff & dad.

Whenever she works, she always schedule good techs with her. I get all newbies.
Her excuse: opening shift needs good techs. But then she takes all good techs when she closes.

She doesn't want to work on weekends or holidays. I worked last 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Chriatmas eve, (we closed on Christmas), New Year's eve. Easter.
Her excuses: she goes to church on Sun. Doing volunteer on Sat. Has big family to cook for or visit.

I told her couple of times about unfairneas of schedule, but nothing changes. & started complaining how slow I am. (With all those newbies who can only do pickup station)

I want to transfer to other store but there is no opening. What should I do?

I have gone thru the same situtation. Here are some tips.

1. If you just complain to your DM over the phone, they will just brush you off because their perception is that most workers are just lazy and whiners. Unfortunately, that is the corporate culture in retail.

2. What you need to do is setup a in person meeting with your DM and bring documentation. By documentation I mean bring the pharmacist schedule and show how many nights she works and how many nights you work per rotation. Also point out how many holidays you work. Secondly, print out how many scripts you average per month vs her. If you are doing the majority of evening shifts then more than likely you are doing the majority of the prescriptions. Lastly, print out the last few myschedules and show him the lack of quality and quantity of techs you are receiving vs her

3. I did the 3 things I mentioned above and 2 months later the issue was resolved. My rx sup actually made the pharmacist schedule himself and it was very fair. Also he wants a copy of every schedule for every week. A few months after this schedule was implemented the RX manager quit.

4. Don't prey victim to people playing games with the schedule. Call them out on it and present documentation to back up your claims and things will get done. But just mentioning it will get you no where.

Reactions: 1 users
I would definitely do what mikejones said and also just keep on top of moving to a new store.

You just need to do that to stand up for yourself, what you are describing is completely unfair to you. I had a single issue where my rxm was trying to bully me into working christmas eve this past year. I had worked it the year before and was also in the lottery to work christmas at another store. I stood up for myself and told her i would not do it and that it was unfair based on other holidays i had worked etc.

the best part is she doesnt even celebrate christmas and i have gone out of my way to switch random days with her so she could celebrate her religious holidays during the year.

this was my experience at CVS as well. I didn't know it was up to PIC discretion. after working many evenings, I found another job.

As an RXM, I make the Rph schedule and I try to be as fair as possible. I still work every other weekend and close 2 nights per week (as does my partner). My 2 day a week pharmacist opens one day and closes the other each week. We mutually figure out the summer holidays amongst ourselves (usually one falls on a weekend we work anyways or the Monday after). My only trump card is that I'm off every Friday. Being a manager has it's perks, but you shouldn't take advantage of the situation like OP. FWIW, we're all married and have kids

Members don't see this ad :)
not to be the ahole here - but unless this is against corporate policy - the victor goes the spoils - that being said - that manager is going to have a hard time keeping good employees, but you want the best schedule, take on the extra responsibilities and you can be the ahole

I never knew other companies let the pic do scheduling. Ours is done by the office and it's just a set rotation that only chances for vacation.

It sounds insane and a way to be completely evil

Wow:

What kind of Pharmacy Supervisor do you have? There is no way that would go on in my district. The supervisor controls the schedules, not the PIC. There is no way I could make my partner work all of the nights. I would get called on the carpet in a big hurry

Scheduling the good techs with yourself is a classic d-bag PIC move. It makes PIC look good from a metrics stand point by making you look like the worst RPh on the planet. Ultimately the store metrics will suffer and her bonus gets hit so she'll get what's coming to her.

Reactions: 2 users
I never believed that some pic could be so nasty and Vicious. No wonder some of them got mad when others rphs call the provider's line.
That reminds me of my crazy pschycopath partner at walgreens. Had to quit with no job lined up. I can say now that I am working with much nicer people at Cvs.

typical woman behavior

Ridiculous. I've worked with both excellent and horrendous male and female managers. No gender is prone from, nor more likely to be, a selfish, hateful manager.

For fun, and my own historical reference, I went through and ranked the bosses/managers I've had as a pharmacist (didn't count when I worked as a technician.) I've had many more male bosses than females, but I don't see any average difference between male or female bosses. Out of 13, my absolute worst boss ever (completely psychotic) was a female, but 2 of my top 5 bosses were female.

M-11
M-10
M-9
M-8
M-4
F-13
M-7
M-6
F-3
F-5
M-2
M-12
M-1

So if the PIC can't get the best schedules, what is the point in taking on the extra responsibility - it sure ain't for the pay in most places. I know about 2% of managers in the hospital world that would ever even consider scheduling themselves second shift.

So if the PIC can't get the best schedules, what is the point in taking on the extra responsibility - it sure ain't for the pay in most places. I know about 2% of managers in the hospital world that would ever even consider scheduling themselves second shift.
Nope. It is not like that in retail. Actually i did not know about those nasty pics until this thread. Schedule has always been fair for me even with the nastiest pics. At wags we had to send the schedule to market scheduler and both of us had to approve it. At cvs same thing

Nope. It is not like that in retail. Actually i did not know about those nasty pics until this thread. Schedule has always been fair for me even with the nastiest pics. At wags we had to send the schedule to market scheduler and both of us had to approve it. At cvs same thing

At CVS I knew one PIC that had a schedule that was close to a 8-4 Monday - Friday schedule. His 'partner' was semi-retired and any shifts the partner didn't take was covered by floaters. But the PIC wasn't malicious about it, the schedule worked for his partner. Other than that one, I never knew any PIC who tried to do anything but an "A" week, "B" week setup, although I do know of PICs who schedule themselves the better techs. Not exactly a team player thing to do but if the partner doesn't like it they could offer to do the schedule or become a PIC themselves.

I seriously cannot even conceive of how or why the pharm sup allows it.

Last edited:
At my store we alternate days and the schedule is very fair. We split days on Monday and Wednesday and alternate Tuesday, Thursday and Friday,Saturday and Sunday. We are very flexible . If one of us needs a day off,we work it out .
And the pic would never schedule better techs on his shift.
And we average more than 2500 scripts a week and we are open from 8 to 9. No time to play politics. We are too busy .
And supervisor expects us to work well together to keep wecare above 80, and mce above 85.

Walmart has a central scheduler and at the beginning of the year they sent out a sheet with a list of holidays and the pharmacists choose who works which ones and faxes it back to the scheduler.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app