ISIS Las Vegas July23-26: Where do you recommend staying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Never been to Vegas. The Rio is getting pretty poor reviews on tripadvisor and yelp. I'm considering the Four Seasons, Palms Place Suites, Bellagio, or Wynn.

Any recommendations?

Anybody want to split the bill on an MGM skyloft?! (looks awesome).

The woman and I are looking for a luxurious, relaxing hotel with great service and ideally a spa. Great food would be a bonus but we are willing to travel for that. Don't plan on gambling, don't care so much about the nightlife.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wherever you go, the best bet in Vegas is to slip a $20, $50, or $100 bill (depending on where you're staying and what you want) with your credit card and ID to the person checking you in, and say the magic words:

"Do you have any complementary upgrades available?"

Throw in the word "anniversary" to boost your odds.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would stick with the Rio, so it won't be a pain in the ass going to and from the conference.

They have a pretty good buffet too.

Alternatively, how about something like the Belagio.

Something newer like the Wynn?

I've done this plenty of times in other cities and it usually works great! Although, I've never slipped more than a $50.

Wherever you go, the best bet in Vegas is to slip a $20, $50, or $100 bill (depending on where you're staying and what you want) with your credit card and ID to the person checking you in, and say the magic words:

"Do you have any complementary upgrades available?"

Throw in the word "anniversary" to boost your odds.

Four Seasons is by far the best to stay at BUT it is a pain to have to travel to the hotel where the convention is. So, suck it up, stay at the Rio, and save the money you would've spent the at the Four Season for the tables ;)

Enjoy

Rio is not a bad place, used to have a lot more action but now that can be found at Palms, Hard Rock, or Mandelay.
Palms is literally next door to Rio. Unfortunately, Rio is off the Strip and on the west side of the freeway I-15 so it's a hike from the Strip and not a "safe" walk but it's gotten better and there are numerous shuttles. Closest to Rio on the Strip would be Caesar's, Flamingo, Bally's, Bellagio, Paris, Planet Hollywood.
Considering Wynn and Palazzo are new they will likely be pricey. You may find better deals through Bally's, Flamingo, Planet Hollywood, Treasure Island, Mirage. I know nothing about the 4 seasons. MGM is fine but a ways South on the strip.
Also make use of the buses, while not the best public transportation city, they got a bunch new double decker buses that go up and down the strip and are far cheaper than taxis. The monorail ain't worth the hype.

Bring your sunscreen and prepare to get cooked. It may be hot as hell, but it's a dry hell. 105 is pretty normal

Never been to Vegas. The Rio is getting pretty poor reviews on tripadvisor and yelp. I'm considering the MGM signature or maybe the four seasons.

Any recommendations?

Anybody want to split the bill on an MGM skyloft?! (looks awesome).

The woman and I are looking for a luxurious, relaxing hotel with great service and ideally a spa. Great food would be a bonus but we are willing to travel for that. Don't plan on gambling, don't care so much about the nightlife.

Lig,

It looks like DP and I are going to slum it at the Rio. We went in on a larger Suite because DP usually brings several thousand dollars worth of hair product on his trips which occupies considerable space.

We should definitely hit the Craps table some time!

Hey Lig,
What used to be Aladdin, the remodeled and chic Planet Hollywood I find is the best quality for your money (it's targeted for a younger crowd, and definitely feels very lively compared to every other vegas hotel I've stayed at), and they are known to have the best (or ranked top 2) buffets on the strip...yet much cheaper than the Bellagio. I have had luck using priceline to get rooms here (paid only $80/night on a weekend a few months ago). I use the website www.biddingfortravel.com (a forum where people post winning bids on priceline for different hotels, and which hotel they won on specified dates that they were looking for). I use this all the time and always save a ton. :thumbup:

If you decide to try priceline using biddingfortravel, make sure you learn how to get free rebids by reading the FAQs....there are some tricks. Learn how to do this, and you'll be using this system for all your future hotels! You can't guarantee which hotel you win, though, so check that someone else bid on and won what you want on the dates that you booking to be certain. The risk with Vegas priceline bidding is that you might get stuck in the Luxor (not a true 4 star....and also located at the end of the strip). Good luck!

Last edited:
There was another thread about a sdn dinner....