Isolated C grade doable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vox Remedium

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bother everyone,

I have held a 3.7 GPA while doing alright in the core premed courses:

Freshman Year
Bio 1 &2 : A
Chem 1&2 : A
-------------------------------------------
Sophomore year
Physics 1: B
Organic Chem:B

The really bad grades:
Physics: C+
Organic Chem 2: C

My GPA has dip down to a 3.5 and I understand my trend doesn't look good at all as of right now, especially in regards to my core sciences.

Other than these grades, my transcript has As and A-s; I'm just extremely nervous now on how to move forward.

The major reason for my dip in the GPA is because I took a very heavy course load with orgo like a *****. I also had a job and worked in a lab throughout the year. I thought I could find a good balance and manage my time;however, it ended up working out terribly.

I believe my ECs aren't bad:

Shadowing 100+ hrs (2 different doctors)
Volunteering clincial 50+ hrs
Volunteering nonclincal 100+ hrs
President of on-campus club
Committee board of 2 other clubs
Chemistry TA for 1 year
Research Lab 1.5 years (1 publication)
Healthcare Writer Journalist (1 year, 5 articles published)

I have 6 LORs submitted, a few of them told me they had written me a strong letter.

Basically, sorry for the long post, I just want to know if anyone had a similar experience and still made it through?

I'm interested in MD schools, and I really want matriculate right after college.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

1) what is your MCAT score
2) what year are you in school
3) this probably isn't a big deal - 3.5 isn't a fantastic GPA, but it's nowhere near lethal

Reactions: 1 user
This isn't ideal, but it isn't lethal either - 3.5 is still a decent GPA. You can take more upper level science courses to repair the damage. What is your sGPA?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1) what is your MCAT score
2) what year are you in school
3) this probably isn't a big deal - 3.5 isn't a fantastic GPA, but it's nowhere near lethal

I'm a rising junior, which is why I'm currently studying for the Jan/April 2016 MCAT.

Thanks, I know it sounds dumb to freak out over a 3.5 when other people have much more serious situations, but I'm just worried about the downward trend/orgo+physics grades.

This isn't ideal, but it isn't lethal either - 3.5 is still a decent GPA. You can take more upper level science courses to repair the damage. What is your sGPA?

My sGPA is around a 3.45 thanks to the two Cs;but my research credit and major classes (bio major) have helped me sustain most of the damage...

I'm a rising junior, which is why I'm currently studying for the Jan/April 2016 MCAT.

Thanks, I know it sounds dumb to freak out over a 3.5 when other people have much more serious situations, but I'm just worried about the downward trend/orgo+physics grades.

Do well junior year and you'll be fine. Wait till you graduate to apply if it concerns you in particular. The sophomore dip in GPA isn't exactly some uncommon thing.

My sGPA is around a 3.45 thanks to the two Cs;but my research credit and major classes (bio major) have helped me sustain most of the damage...

Not too bad. Just try to get A's from now on and you should be able to increase the sGPA to 3.6+.