It is not easy to get accepted in one of the big 3 Caribbean Schools!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aucdoctobe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading a lot of posts that basically equate the Caribbean to taking anyone.

I'm here to tell anyone that would listen that getting into the big 3 Caribbean schools is not easy. It is easier than getting into a US allopathic school and some DO schools, but that is it.

Here are some good reasons:

1. Reputations do not always reflect current circumstances. The influx of grads applying to the Caribbean is growing.

2. Applicants are becoming more competitive. Conditions are getting much harder for acceptance. For instance, the average GPA of Ross's latest class was a 3.27. AUC now requires at least a 3.0 and a 20 on the MCAT to gain acceptance. And as for St. George... I know someone who just got rejected from St. George but got into 2 US allopathic schools (I admit that this is a rare case). Contrary to popular belief, one is not guaranteed admission simply by applying to one of the big 3.

3. The acceptance of Caribbean grads is actually growing among residency directors. I'm starting to see a pattern of increasingly impressive residency placement lists amongst the big 3. I even read of a statistical study showing the progress that Carrib grads have made over the years in terms of match placement. Many people are aware of this and it is attracting more applicants.

4. The big 3 are experiencing record numbers of applicants! This is because of some rather impressive track records.

So, for all those applying to the big 3, take your application very seriously. It is quite an achievement to land in one of those schools. Also, apply as early as you can. If the trend continues, it will get harder and harder to get into the big 3 Caribbean schools. So work hard and be smart!

Members don't see this ad.

Who are you kidding. I would say SGU is the hardest to get into in terms of standards. All the other schools are a joke. I know so many caribbean students who got in with sub-par 3.0gpas and 20 MCATs. :laugh:

Maybe it is true that their reputations are getting better, but that does not change its standards.

Good one though. :thumbup:

Luck said:
Who are you kidding. I would say SGU is the hardest to get into in terms of standards. All the other schools are a joke. I know so many caribbean students who got in with sub-par 3.0gpas and 20 MCATs. :laugh:

Maybe it is true that their reputations are getting better, but that does not change its standards.

Good one though. :thumbup:

Take it easy Luck. I've spoken to admissions and it's not as low of standards as you think. My goal is a US osteopathic school because my mentor and friend is a DO but nevertheless, I would never look down to any grads from the schools metioned from the OP, I'd actually attend one... You know people who got into carribean schools with sub-par 3.0gps and 20 MCATS? Well I know people who got into US allopathic schools with 19 MCAT and sub-par gpas (URMs and non-URMs into osteopathic schools)... what does that make them - inferior?

Let's not attack respectable people and educations

Members don't see this ad :)
OnMyWayThere said:
Take it easy Luck. I've spoken to admissions and it's not as low of standards as you think. My goal is a US osteopathic school because my mentor and friend is a DO but nevertheless, I would never look down to any grads from the schools metioned from the OP, I'd actually attend one... You know people who got into carribean schools with sub-par 3.0gps and 20 MCATS? Well I know people who got into US allopathic schools with 19 MCAT and sub-par gpas (URMs and non-URMs into osteopathic schools)... what does that make them - inferior?

People like to establish a pecking order. Even if it is meaningless in the end.

OnMyWayThere said:

Really 19s???! where at! Send me some info.

No way in hell is it easier to get into a DO school verses a carrb MD school.

I am not commenting on quality of education.

Luck,

To put it frankly, your information is outdated. There are Caribbean schools that will take anyone with a heartbeat. After all, there is always someone willing to take someone else's money. But those schools usually have serious problems -- licensing, accreditation, ect..

To everyone else:

The big 3 have undergone radical changes very recently (with the exception of St. George).

I am extremely proud of my acceptance into one of the big 3 Caribbean schools. I am equally happy about the fact that I am already accepted because it is only getting harder to get admitted.

Take your application seriously and do all you can to get admitted.

Please don't turn this thread into a DO vs. Caribbean MD debate. This has been done ad nausea.

Personally, I really don't care what route a person chooses. I made a decision, and I am happy with it. That is all that matters. Likewise, that should be the barometer that people use to make up their mind.

I'm here to comment on something that I have been through personally. Thus, my experience should give some credence to my observations.

Seriously, I wish everyone the best in what they do.

Aucdoctobe said:
2. For instance, the average GPA of Ross's latest class was a 3.27. AUC now requires at least a 3.0 and a 20 on the MCAT to gain acceptance.

where did you get those information?

I'll name my sources. Keep in mind that I have actually been through the application process at both schools. And I was rejected from Ross (sort of -- medprep) with a 3.1 overall and a 3.2 science GPA. What made it so bad was that my overall prereq gpa was very high. My MCAT was also well above a 20. I'm not mad about being medprep'd. I got over it rather quickly. But it is important for people to understand that the application process is not a joke. It was after the prereq's when I got sick for about 3 years and littered my transcript with really bad grades! I was medprep'd because my cumulative GPA for the last 60 hours of undergraduate was bad. That didn't matter. Stats mattered.

Here is a source for Ross:

http://www.valuemd.com/viewtopic.php?t=20697&start=0

This comes from the moderator on the forum who would have no reason to lie. You can also call Ross yourself because my admissions counselor told me something very similar.

For AUC, here are there requirements for 2003:

http://www.aucmed.edu/07_19.php

Keep in mind that this was before the record number of applicants that they experienced this fall. If you call them, they will confirm the 3.0 and 20 requirement.

i am sort of surprised that the requirements are getting so high now. it used to be easy just a while ago.

but mcat above 20 is not that bad. GPA is another story, it varies by schools.

VentdependenT said:
No way in hell is it easier to get into a DO school verses a carrb MD school.

I am not commenting on quality of education.
Way. I got into OSU-COM, but not SGU.

Luck said:
Looking at your history, DrMom already proved you a liar. Don't bring that nonsense up again.

Here-http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=1092958#post1092958 On post #54. I would believe DrMom over some anonymous person.
Keep reading, Osteopath. see #58 and on. And then take a look at what the allopaths had to say regarding the exact same correspondence before more osteopaths begged for it all to stop, right here. ;)

Now, back to the pre-osteo forum for you. :smuggrin:

modelcitizen said:
Keep reading, Osteopath. see #58 and on. And then take a look at what the allopaths had to say regarding the exact same correspondence before more osteopaths begged for it all to stop, right here. ;)

Now, back to the pre-osteo forum for you. :smuggrin:
I didn't really see much of anything in that post Mr.troll. All I saw is you calling Dr.Mom, Dr.Troll instead. It seems like you're the troll here and not the moderator. :rolleyes:

There is only two people who really post on these threads... luck and aucdoctobe. I better be careful about the stuff I'm reading.