It takes me an hour and a half to get to the CVS I work at, am I being a baby?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Hue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been working at this particular CVS since August. It's the first pharmacy position that I've had and I've learned a lot here. Since I started working I have made the decision to take buses to and from work every time I have a shift. I'm a poor college student whose parents are also poor so I do not have access to a car. I'm going to be 100% honest but by bus it takes me about an hour and a half to get to work. So that means another hour and a half to get back. A total of 3 hours on top of the shift that I work which is usually 6 hours. I work 2 days a week. So that's 12 hours a week plus 6 hours of me waiting for buses and sitting in the bus, 6 hours of time basically being wasted. Anyway, am I being a big baby or if I am not what should I do? My boss was thinking about putting me on for 3 days a week which I have done in the past but now want to refrain from doing so I have more time to keep up with school work. Some may tell me that I should bring notes and study during that hour and a half each trip but I would say half of that time I'm just standing out in the cold waiting so my fingers and brain would be quite frozen for me to process info. I'd say that I spend about 40 minutes on actual buses, the other time is just waiting. Should I still bring notes and review on the buses in this amount of time?

Members don't see this ad.

Take advantage of the bus and do homework/study there.

You wouldn't be able to do that if you were driving.

Good thinking, I brought my notes and I'm on the bus right now. I just got done doing some physio studying, this was a great idea

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd buy a cheap car. 1 1/2 hr to get to work is crazy. Should be able to afford something really cheap...student loans, or through the extra shifts.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't afford a car, they're probably gonna be like 3-5k at the lowest. I don't have that kind of money lying around. Nor do I think it'd be a good idea to take out loans for that expense. Cause then I'd have to pay for gas and maintenance. I honestly would only use the car just to get to work too since I live in the city and can walk or use trains for everywhere I go

Girls don't like riding on a bus. Even girls on Tinder. End of story.

Take advantage of the bus and do homework/study there.

You wouldn't be able to do that if you were driving.

Yes, exactly. I took the train and bus to both my jobs in college and I studied during the commute. Most college students are poor, it is good motivation to work hard for a better life.

how far exactly is the distance? What about a nice bike ride? I generally ride my bike to work, I will not lie- winter has somewhat deterred that. Of course my commute is ~2 miles...

oh and good for you for not getting on a loan for a car... I'm sure you'll have plenty of loans to worry about

At least your preceptor is hot.

Reactions: 6 users
Biking would be out of the question to be honest. If work was that close I'd probably just walk lol...

Also, my pharmacy manager didn't end up being my preceptor. Nevertheless she is still fairly attractive. I just ended my shift, the last 2 hours it was me, 2 techs and her. She pulled a bunch of scripts for me and I counted. I probably counted over 1000 pills straight in that period of time. I hope she thinks I'm a hard worker!!

in the last 2 hours that pharmacist had you + 2 techs? now why can't more CVS be like that? that aside u can still study if u have money for audio naplex. i put the audio on my phone sometimes n listen to them going over drugs and side effects.... if you're thinking of getting a car under $5,000, its gonna cost u more with maintenance for those over used vehicles. those cars are not worth it.

Hi, I've been working at this particular CVS since August. It's the first pharmacy position that I've had and I've learned a lot here. Since I started working I have made the decision to take buses to and from work every time I have a shift. I'm a poor college student whose parents are also poor so I do not have access to a car. I'm going to be 100% honest but by bus it takes me about an hour and a half to get to work. So that means another hour and a half to get back. A total of 3 hours on top of the shift that I work which is usually 6 hours. I work 2 days a week. So that's 12 hours a week plus 6 hours of me waiting for buses and sitting in the bus, 6 hours of time basically being wasted. Anyway, am I being a big baby or if I am not what should I do? My boss was thinking about putting me on for 3 days a week which I have done in the past but now want to refrain from doing so I have more time to keep up with school work. Some may tell me that I should bring notes and study during that hour and a half each trip but I would say half of that time I'm just standing out in the cold waiting so my fingers and brain would be quite frozen for me to process info. I'd say that I spend about 40 minutes on actual buses, the other time is just waiting. Should I still bring notes and review on the buses in this amount of time?

Yes.... study on train/bus.

But if I were you, I would lease a car for $99/ month... and gas is very cheap right now. You can probably get 400 miles for 20 bucks... http://www.yonkershonda.com/newspaper-ads/

Honda civic is a good car to get started on for $99 a month... it is very gas efficient, and requires little maintenance. It also lasts FOREVER. I still see a lot of them on the road today from the 90s....

As a CVS intern, pharmacy interns start at 12/hr. You have to pick up about 20 hours a month to lease and maintain it assuming your car insurance rate is low. That is better than waiting 48 hours a month waiting and taking the bus.

Plus you have the luxury of not having to worry about getting stranded, picking up extra shifts at other CVS, etc...

Yes.... study on train/bus.

But if I were you, I would lease a car for $99/ month... and gas is very cheap right now. You can probably get 400 miles for 20 bucks... http://www.yonkershonda.com/newspaper-ads/

Honda civic is a good car to get started on for $99 a month... it is very gas efficient, and requires little maintenance. It also lasts FOREVER. I still see a lot of them on the road today from the 90s....

As a CVS intern, pharmacy interns start at 12/hr. You have to pick up about 20 hours a month to lease and maintain it assuming your car insurance rate is low. That is better than waiting 48 hours a month waiting and taking the bus.

Plus you have the luxury of not having to worry about getting stranded, picking up extra shifts at other CVS, etc...

Assuming he can make the $2,600 down payment...

I feel your pain. I used to wake up early and take the hour and a half long bus commute to school, and during rush hour it sometimes takes me that long just to drive 16 miles in my car.

As others have said, try to take the bus time as a time to study or do what you need to do. I'd try to find a closer CVS or another pharmacy job close by. I know one day when I have a job I'm going to live within 10 minutes of driving there, commuting is such a waste of life and rush hour is such an unnecessary stressful experience.

Don;t buy a car if you need it just for this job. You don't make enough money there to justify the purchase of any vehicle. That and car repairs are balls ass expensive. Plus insurance and regular maintenance. Take the bus...

No, I don't think you are being a baby. An hour and a half commute both ways sucks. But people do what they have to do these days. Keep working at your current job and look for something closer.

You are not being a baby, that is a very long commute. But you are a student and you are getting experience, so I would stick it out for now, learn everything you can and use the time on the bus wisely: read, educational podcasts, study, nap, etc.

When you are a pharmacist one day you may have opportunity to change this aspect of your work life. You hopefully will have the finances at that time to live close to work. Everyone has a different situation and different views on what an acceptable commute is, for my wife and I anything over 20 minutes is pushing it.