It's NOT the MCAT, it's the ENERGY!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConceptUser

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I am taking the MCAT practice exams, I start off strong (missing 1-2 questions a passage) then as I get towards the end, my energy is depleted and I start making a lot of stupid mistakes. At that point, my brain isn't working and its really hard to focus considering its a practice exam....

What do you guys eat, drink or do to get energy? What am I allowed to do on the exam that can help me stay energized and focused?

Members don't see this ad.

Bananas. I usually start to lose focus when I'm hungry, or in the case of my actual MCAT, when I really had to pee.
I've heard that pinching yourself helps, I usually stand up and stretch.

During the actual MCAT, use the sound proof headphones if you're comfortable and they're available. I put them on at the start of mine for ****s and gigs and ended up with them on the entire time. They really allowed me to immerse myself in the test and not recognize and fatigue during a section. Between sections I'd allow for a minute for my brain to passively think about the previous section as I walked out of the testing room (or the area I was practicing in). After this minute I actively cleared my mind so that I'd expend no energy thinking about, rationilizing or reevaluating previous questions. I'd snack on a granola bar (fruit works too, lots of glucose = good short term energy for your brain), drink some cold water and stretch out for a second. After, I'd check back in, sit down, look at the clock and completely relax my mind before moving on.

It's amazing how much mental energy you expend if you're anxious, not to mention the distraction it is on its own.