It's worth it guys. It really is...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
duplicate

Members don't see this ad.

So thinking about a Yosemite trip, but not camping there as my other half would not like that. Anyone recommend good hotels in the area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just booked a dominican republic all inclusive for a couple months from now. Can't wait. There is nothing better than a vacation in which I have to do no thinking whatsoever - aside from deciding which alcoholic beverage I want next.

... In the mean time - trying to get to work on that beach body I've never had in my life
enjoy. DR is truly beautiful

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just booked a dominican republic all inclusive for a couple months from now. Can't wait. There is nothing better than a vacation in which I have to do no thinking whatsoever - aside from deciding which alcoholic beverage I want next.

... In the mean time - trying to get to work on that beach body I've never had in my life
Went to DR on my honeymoon. Awesome place! Don't trust the seafood lasagna.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Went to DR on my honeymoon. Awesome place! Don't trust the seafood lasagna.

Yeah actually went there on my honeymoon too. Been there several times in fact. Knock on wood, no travelers diarrhea yet...

Don't drink tap water ever in dr.
That's the best advice.
I'm glad you enjoyed my land! Go again!

Wife and I were there a few years ago. Its still her favorite vacation to-date. Great food, great weather, amazingly fun ziplining and tours... can't wait to go back.

Don't drink tap water ever in dr.
That's the best advice.
I'm glad you enjoyed my land! Go again!

We put a hair tie on the faucet so we didn't forget. I was super careful and still ended up getting sick haha

Bermuda: Pink sand beaches. Turquoise blue, crystal clear water.

#WorthIt
ImageUploadedBySDN1470512257.054619.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes but do they have turkey sandwiches there?

See, that's the weird thing. Try to order a turkey sando in the place and they look at you like you've got a d**k coming out of your forehead. Otherwise, paradise.

I have more to compensate for...(person in photo is not me)
gGrxLE8.jpg

#1 I see neck tats
#2 That's a full auto, right? There's a place by me where you can actually shoot full auto's and they're bolted down like that.
#3 Not sure what any of this has to do with thread topic, but who cares.

#1 I see neck tats
#2 That's a full auto, right? There's a place by me where you can actually shoot full auto's and they're bolted down like that.
#3 Not sure what any of this has to do with thread topic, but who cares.

Its worth it.

Neck tats are not worth it. Don't care what anybody says.

Reactions: 2 users
Neck tats are not worth it. Don't care what anybody says.

Flight medic I worked with recently has a huge Barack Obama tattoo. Guy hates Obama. Asked him what was up with that, and he said he used to apprentice at a tattoo parlor, and they said they would bring him on full time and give him some sweet tattoo guns if he would get the tattoo to show off at a convention. He said hell yeah I'll do it, because why not, right? Dude also has a huge puma tattoo on his neck...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Flight medic I worked with recently has a huge Barack Obama tattoo. Guy hates Obama. Asked him what was up with that, and he said he used to apprentice at a tattoo parlor, and they said they would bring him on full time and give him some sweet tattoo guns if he would get the tattoo to show off at a convention. He said hell yeah I'll do it, because why not, right? Dude also has a huge puma tattoo on his neck...

It's working because now I know about it.

IMG_5446.JPG
IMG_5306.JPG
IMG_5272.JPG

Wishing I was back in Hawaii now.

I was talking about the full auto machine gun, I don't give a rats a$$ what people tattoo anywhere.

Lol I know, was just teasin'

Saw four of these today in Bermuda. Hawksbill Sea Turtle:
ImageUploadedBySDN1470604198.507404.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
I'm looking at my schedule lately and thinking, "Yeah, it's really worth it." Here's what it looks like:
July 16-24 Canadian Rockies
July 28-30 Backpacking in Wasatch
Aug 2-6 Backpacking Wind Rivers
Aug 14-16 Canyoneering Zion National Park
Aug 27-Sep 3 Alaska
Sep 11-17 Lake Powell
Sep 28-Oct 1 Lake Powell
Oct 2-8 Yosemite
Oct 19-22 Lake Powell

Oh, did you think I meant my work schedule? 9 vacations in 3 months. Not too shabby. It's beyond me why there are people who only go on vacation once or twice a year. If you're hoping for a day off more than you're hoping for a night in your bed, you're doing this all wrong.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm looking at my schedule lately and thinking, "Yeah, it's really worth it." Here's what it looks like:
July 16-24 Canadian Rockies
July 28-30 Backpacking in Wasatch
Aug 2-6 Backpacking Wind Rivers
Aug 14-16 Canyoneering Zion National Park
Aug 27-Sep 3 Alaska
Sep 11-17 Lake Powell
Sep 28-Oct 1 Lake Powell
Oct 2-8 Yosemite
Oct 19-22 Lake Powell

Oh, did you think I meant my work schedule? 9 vacations in 3 months. Not too shabby. It's beyond me why there are people who only go on vacation once or twice a year. If you're hoping for a day off more than you're hoping for a night in your bed, you're doing this all wrong.

Even if you're not a typical case, it's hard to understand why so many EM docs burn out if this kind of schedule is possible....

I am 10 years out of residency this summer. I am a little unique in that I have a side business that will pay me more than my medical practice this year, but 12 shifts is average for docs in my group that have been here 5 years+. I am certainly not working the least. We have two docs working ~ 8 shifts a month and used to have a couple that were working 6 (now retired.) It's a very lifestyle oriented group though, so I fit right in there.

Bear in mind it's a bit of an odd calculation too. Normal "40 hour a week folks" don't generally subtract out holidays and vacation weeks. If they did, many would be in the low 30s on average. Plus the post night shift "DOMA" effect which I have thankfully bought my way out of too. Plus admin time. I'm the department chair so I've also got 2-3 other 2-4 hour meetings a month. Plus any time spent after a shift, but I'm pretty good at minimizing that.

I also never understand why EM docs say they are burnt out. I subscribe to the fact that a potion of the population will be unhappy no matter what. I would say that EM jobs are in the top 0.001% of the jobs in the world. I mean, even if my favorite hobby is making door knobs, I doubt i would be happy making 40K and coming home with financial stress all the time.

Before I was married, Wife and I would take 2 BIG trips (out of the country) and another 4 trips out of the state. We went to Vegas twice a year. Since kids, we had to dial this back just because of school but I still can't complain sitting in my back yard right now watching the kids swim and being off.

We just came back from a week vacation in the Bahamas, and the total cost for a family of 5 including flight was 1 locums shift. No reason to complain.

I can say that after 16 yrs , I have almost never felt Burnt out. Tired? Sure. Overworked after 7 of 8 days, sure. But Burnt out, Not even close

Reactions: 1 users
I like both WCI and emergentmd's posts.

I agree with emergent that having school aged kids significantly cuts down on the number of long vacation trips you can take (assuming you are not homeschooling them). It's still a great amount of time off.

From these forums, it sounds like WCI's group is very similar to mine. If you want to have a lifestyle friendly job then you should be interviewing with lifestyle friendly groups where all the docs are on the same page. If everyone in the group you're interviewing with works 180 hrs per month then you're probably not going to be the trendsetter that only works 100. Full time in my group right now is 110 hrs/month. It's reasonable to assume that if you were hired your workload will be similar.

One of the other reasons groups like ours work is because the business side is run well. If you are only going to work ~100 hrs/mo, it sure does help to be doing pretty well per hour ($300+).

Everyone has their own level of burn out. Most EM docs are burnt out b/c they overwork and have high family stress. EM medicine is not laid back, this is a fact. This is why we can't work 40 hrs/wk for a long period of time. Even if our schedule was 9-5, no one can work 5 straight days for a long time.

I have seen some work 25, 12 hr shifts at a Super busy/sick ED and have done it for 20+ yrs. Most can't do this. Most should be in the 120-140/mo range. Some should be under 100. Find your number of hours, set your lifestyle to fit this, you will be fine.

I plan on cutting back to about 100 hr/mo early next yr, a mixture of part time and locums. This will allow me to have much better control of my schedule. Hopefully go full time locums and get rid of nights/weekends completely soon after.

Everyone has their own level of burn out. Most EM docs are burnt out b/c they overwork and have high family stress. EM medicine is not laid back, this is a fact. This is why we can't work 40 hrs/wk for a long period of time. Even if our schedule was 9-5, no one can work 5 straight days for a long time.

I have seen some work 25, 12 hr shifts at a Super busy/sick ED and have done it for 20+ yrs. Most can't do this. Most should be in the 120-140/mo range. Some should be under 100. Find your number of hours, set your lifestyle to fit this, you will be fine.

I plan on cutting back to about 100 hr/mo early next yr, a mixture of part time and locums. This will allow me to have much better control of my schedule. Hopefully go full time locums and get rid of nights/weekends completely soon after.

if an EM is working 35 hours per week, is that equivalent to a FM/IM working 50-60 hours per week. Or is that an apples and oranges type of comparison?

Last edited:
Posts like these have me sometimes feeling like gunning for EM

Hint: Take the kids with you. 5 of those 9 trips are with kids.

We like to take our kids with us everywhere and have taken 3 trips this summer with them already. But when school starts its difficult and I hate going during holidays b/c there is way toooo many people. Some like to take trips w/o kids, but we prefer to spend our vacations with them.

I used to test the water for residual chlorine when we arrived in port all over the Med and Caribbean. The only trace chlorine I found was in Dubrovnik Yugoslavia when it was still communist.

I used to test the water for residual chlorine when we arrived in port all over the Med and Caribbean. The only trace chlorine I found was in Dubrovnik Yugoslavia when it was still communist.

I test all water for flouridation after seeing the movie "Dr. Strangelove"....

Wait, no I don't.... th'hell is wrong with you ?

Navy ship I had to test every port. Most had no chlorine including homeport Mayport FL. General Jack D Ripper was worried about fluorine not chlorine.

Just back (yesterday) from a 2 week UK extravaganza. It was a little longer than planned (thank you, Delta), but in two weeks have managed to become a whisky snob.

I haven't even downloaded all the pics yet, but I'm sure I'll have some appropriate ones to make you all drool. Aside from hiking Mt Snowdon (it's a dinky mountain compared to what we have in the states), we hit a slew of distilleries from Speyside to Islay.

Then have getaways planned to Boston, Vegas (ACEP) and Zion already booked.

I love Wales. The Snowdon area is ridiculously uncrowded. Something about seaside castles...

We apparently picked the same beautiful Saturday everyone and their brother also decided to go up - the cafe at the top was so crowded it was not just standing room only, but you couldn't actually move. Crazy. We took Rhyd Ddu up, and although everyone said we would hardly see anyone, it was pretty busy. Took the Ranger path down, which was lovely. And of course, Conwy, Beaumaris and Caernarfon, which were the "bucket list" reason to visit Wales in the first place. We stayed at Gwydir castle in Llanwrst a couple nights - would heartily recommend, if you should go back.