IU Dental Anesthesia Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IUDENTANES

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Indiana University Dental Anesthesia Fellowship program is accepting applications for 1 position for the 2015-16 academic year. The position begins July 1st. The dental anesthesia fellows are under the IU School of Medicine Department of Anesthesia at Eskenazi Hospital. The fellows are expected to administer anesthesia in a wide variety of cases, ranging from general surgery, plastics, and ENT to orthopedics, OBGYN and ophthalmology. Fellows receive PGY-1 pay and benefits. Our past fellows have a strong history of getting in to oral surgery and dental anesthesia programs. If interested in applying, please send a CV to [email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

This seems weird to me. How does this technically qualify as a fellowship? Shouldn't it be an internship? Please educate me.

This seems weird to me. How does this technically qualify as a fellowship? Shouldn't it be an internship? Please educate me.

They call it a fellowship, but by normal nomeclature an internship may be a more appropriate name. Prosthodontists call their training a residency but it's not.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They call it a fellowship, but by normal nomeclature an internship may be a more appropriate name. Prosthodontists call their training a residency but it's not.

Seems a bit misleading. In the medical world, a fellow has higher standing than a resident and intern. I don't like it, but they didn't ask my opinion. I don't think you should be able to just declare your program whatever you want. Wonder if the ADA knows about this. Might send them an email with the link.

That being said, I'm happy to announce that along with my OMS residency, I will also be completing a fellowship in "High-Velocity Trauma for Trolls".

Seems a bit misleading. In the medical world, a fellow has higher standing than a resident and intern. I don't like it, but they didn't ask my opinion. I don't think you should be able to just declare your program whatever you want. Wonder if the ADA knows about this. Might send them an email with the link.

That being said, I'm happy to announce that along with my OMS residency, I will also be completing a fellowship in "High-Velocity Trauma for Trolls".

I don't think this program grants you any sort of priviledges other than the ability to apply for a sedation license. It's closest to a DA residency, except it's one third of the training. And as that recent law suit taught us, the ADA doesnt control what anyone calls themselves.