IU vs. UoM--Advice appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRKDDDS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow students.

I have a happy predicament, on which I would appreciate advice.

I have been accepted to both IU and UoM Ann Arbor School of Dentistry. At UoM, I was offered a scholarship. However, I am an Indiana resident, and even with the scholarship, IU is cheaper for me.

I know I am in a situation that many would love to be in, but it really is a tough decision. IU will be closer to family and cheaper, but from what I have heard the clinicals are becoming more competitive for the students and harder to finish clinicals (current IU students, is this true?). UoM will be farther from family and more expensive, but seems to be more prestigious and could possibly offer more experience. I am fairly positive that I just want to be a general dentist, but I cannot say for sure.

My question is whether or not choosing IU would ruin chances of possible specialization studies. Or would it even matter? Does the aspect of cost and family at IU over-rule the prestige of Michigan? Let me know your opinions. I am open to any and all advice. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello fellow students.

I have been accepted to both IU and UoM Ann Arbor School of Dentistry. At UoM, I was offered a scholarship. However, I am an Indiana resident, and even with the scholarship, IU is cheaper for me.

I know I am in a situation that many would love to be in, but it really is a tough decision. IU will be closer to family and cheaper, but from what I have heard the clinicals are becoming more competitive for the students and harder to finish clinicals (current IU students, is this true?). UoM will be farther from family and more expensive, but seems to be more prestigious and could possibly offer more experience. I am fairly positive that I just want to be a general dentist, but I cannot say for sure.

My question is whether or not choosing IU would ruin chances of possible specialization studies. Or would it even matter? Does the aspect of cost and family at IU over-rule the prestige of Michigan? Let me know your opinions. I am open to any and all advice. Thank you in advance.

no.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello fellow students.

I would choose Michigan.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much cheaper is IU for you? Where would you be happier?

^^^^ and it won't make a difference for specializing. Honestly. Go where you want to live, as you'll make better connections when you want to settle down and start a practice (or buy one out from someone).