IUP Psyd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clinicalpsych2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just got accepted to IUP's psyd program today through email. I could not go to the actual interview so had a skype interview and really liked the professor I talked to.

I just wanted to hear what people's thoughts were on this program and from students who currently go there on how they like it. Anything would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like a good program for folks just out of their Bachelors, and during the interview process they worked diligently to make sure we all were aware how competitive they believed they are. They look great on paper...

I don't personally know anything about the program, but a few observations from quickly glancing over their stats:

• Class sizes seem reasonable (~14)
  • Tuition seems reasonable, assuming the quoted numbers are annual (e.g., $6300 for in-state); if they're per semester, not quite as great; however, it looks like all incoming students receive some degree of financial aid
  • The mean and median completion times look fine, although I'd slightly concerned about the consistent tendency for some folks to finish in >7 years
  • APA-accredited internship placement rates were initially poor (~50%), but have been trending upward recently (80+% past 2 years)
  • Licensure rates are solid thus far (98%)

With all that taken into account, I don't see any readily-identifiable red flags. The main area I'd like to see them improve would be research output. I understand that it's a Psy.D. program, but 1% of folks (how do you even get that number?) with publications and 1/3 or less with posters/presentations for the last couple years of reported data is just poor. Then again, the most recent data is from 2007, so maybe those numbers have gone up a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've met a number of students from IUP over the years at various conferences and they looked solid. Based on my experience with IUP'ers, I think they are up there in regard to clinical training with Rutgers, Baylor, etc.

*edit*

I'm not sure what to make of the numbers above about the publications and posters. All of the students I met were at conferences presenting, so…I guess take my impressions w. a grain of salt?

Last edited:
I interviewed there, and it was initially near the bottom of my list (since its a PsyD). That being said, I was quite impressed with the orientation portion of the interview, where the DCT had solid stats and graphs comparing them to other programs. The students seemed fun as well. Of all my interviews, they win the "most improved" award, if that makes sense. I wasn't expecting much, but their numbers dont lie and I was quite impressed. Their website was not near as informative as their interview was, no idea why they don't update the info on there...

I too rescinded my app due to better offers, but I could have seen myself going there. For a PsyD to get two students into a post doc position at harvard in the last three years is pretty impressive. I would definitely say they are one of the few exceptions to the "PsyD's are terrible" mentality. If you want research experience, you can definitely get it there, but its more up to you.

Reactions: 1 users