I've been told not to retake a score above 50%…

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
57%-67% is converting to about a 26-28.

If this is 26 or 27 (55%-61%), I would say retake. If you are scoring a 28 (66-67%), the decision is yours, and you need to decide if you can get into the schools that you are applying to with this score.

Another thing to consider is whether the score is balanced or not. Also, were you scoring significantly better on the practice tests? If not, you need to study more before retaking and ensure you are consistently scoring significantly higher.

I dont think a 28 is a 67 percent. It has to be higher. My 29 in THX says it is a 73 percentile score according to AAMC.

Members don't see this ad.

It's more like each number (or series of numbers) has a composite personality.
I know it seems weird but humans do this all the time.
That is awesome. Can you give any examples? Like what is the personality of a 37+? A 29?

every once in awhile
^
I see, I was not aware that's how these percentiles worked. In that case they may be inflated but I imagine it is not so simple as that and there might be some magical number crunching going on behind the scenes.
More specifically, on the old test you were curved against all people who had tested in the previous year. For the new test they can/probably will
1) compare new test questions to similar old ones
2) lump all takers from the first three test dates together to triple their initial n (hence the percentile ranges instead of exact values for the early takers)
3) use data from all the trial sections in 2014

I'd be a big fan. I would be an even bigger fan if, as @efle mentioned earlier, you would just get a "Pass" or "Fail" rating.
I'd hate this. I think there is value in ability beyond the necessary minimum. I'd rather my doc be extra super smart than have had cooler ECs in college.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So...what's the personality of the number 29? of 40? Or is this some je ne sais quoi admissions voodoo that can't be put in words
It's human nature to humanize objects. I've not conducted a study to find out if there is a trend among evaluators to assign the same characteristics to particular numbers, but it's not a bad idea.

I'd hate this. I think there is value in ability beyond the necessary minimum. I'd rather my doc be extra super smart than have had cooler ECs in college.

Meh, from my experience I don't really think being super smart is all that helpful to most docs. Maybe a small minority. Moreover, if the pass bar is set at whatever a 30 is (~80% right?) then the difference in reasoning ability is probably negligible between two applicants.

All the contrary, a lot of high percentiles are comming out which indicates that the percentiles may be inflated.
Nono, higher scorers like to boast about it on the boards. Some people have lower scores and don't feel like posting. Some people value anonymity (like me) and don't feel like posting.

A vast majority of people don't even know about SDN.

Just like you see an overwhelming amount of 34-35 here in sdn.

57%-67% is converting to about a 26-28.

If this is 26 or 27 (55%-61%), I would say retake. If you are scoring a 28 (66-67%), the decision is yours, and you need to decide if you can get into the schools that you are applying to with this score.

Another thing to consider is whether the score is balanced or not. Also, were you scoring significantly better on the practice tests? If not, you need to study more before retaking and ensure you are consistently scoring significantly higher.

No, it is exactly at 27. Keep in mind that aamc lists upper bounds of percentiles and not the lower bounds. It's silly of them to not include ranges, really, since alot of people misinterpret the scores. More details here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/chart-how-to-correlate-your-percentiles-to-mcat.1142806/

Last edited:
All the contrary, a lot of high percentiles are comming out which indicates that the percentiles may be inflated.

I'm not sure that SDN is a representative sample.

What about an unbalanced 80-90%, with three sections 85-100% and one 50-65%?
On the old test you were considered just barely ok with an 8 / 50th percentile in one section, but it will kill your chances at stats-focused and/or top schools. Anything lower than that and you'd have to look at a retake. If you end up in the middle of that range at like 58th percentile you should be ok

please explain how percentiles can be inflated

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
By comparing old MCAT percentiles vs MCAT 2015 percentiles.
What? You understand differences in absolute test difficulty are lost in such a comparison right. The percentiles change only with changes in the test-taking population. A person who would've scored 70 percent correct on the old test may get 40 percent correct on the new one, and hold the same percentile both ways

I understand that SDN tends to play the scores up a bit (which is okay). However I have been in contact with every admission department at the schools I am applying to and this is what I have taken away.
Because there is no hard comparison between their preferred range on the old MCAT and the new 2015 MCAT they will be reviewing the applicants more holistically for this seasons cycle (and probably the next few until they can get data for scores admitted and Step I/II correlations).

What this translates to (direct words from many people at said admission departments) is that the 2015 MCAT is very tricky to use these first few years and as a result the admissions departments will be working a lot harder this year because of it.

I understand that SDN tends to play the scores up a bit (which is okay). However I have been in contact with every admission department at the schools I am applying to and this is what I have taken away.
Because there is no hard comparison between their preferred range on the old MCAT and the new 2015 MCAT they will be reviewing the applicants more holistically for this seasons cycle (and probably the next few until they can get data for scores admitted and Step I/II correlations).

What this translates to (direct words from many people at said admission departments) is that the 2015 MCAT is very tricky to use these first few years and as a result the admissions departments will be working a lot harder this year because of it.

Yes, but I assume that you still need an 80% to be competitive right? A 50% + won't cut it for MD, despite the "holistic review process."

I kind of doubt this. Percentiles are percentiles. If a school typically accepted students whose old MCATs ranged from the 80th to the 95th percentile, they will accept students who fall into that same percentile bracket on the new MCAT. The actual 5xx score doesn't matter now since people have not yet figured out what numbers are typically associated with what percentiles.

I highly doubt that things will be viewed more "holistically". It has always been a numbers game and will continue to be a numbers game. From my understanding, ECs are generally examined AFTER an applicant has met minimum gpa/MCAT requirements anyways.

If the poorer score is in the Bio section, that's an auto-retake.

We simply don't know right now and it will take a few years to suss out, as gmbz wrote. What I predict happening is that contrary to what AAMC is hoping for, at some point we'll be able to say something like "500 (125x4) [or some other number combo] is the baseline, like 30 was on the old test"

What about an unbalanced 80-90%, with three sections 85-100% and one 50-65%?

Any opinions on how the Psych/Soc section will be used this cycle?

I am not sure if this was brought up, seeing as the OP had a reason for this thread.

In my mind >50% and exceptional application (GPA, EC, Clinical Time/experience) would be okay to apply. If early and broadly.

However, a >50% with median GPA and not alot of other things to bolster the application up would place you more on the dont apply stage?

Thoughts people? @Goro

Concur with both thoughts.

In my mind >50% and exceptional application (GPA, EC, Clinical Time/experience) would be okay to apply. If early and broadly.

However, a >50% with median GPA and not alot of other things to bolster the application up would place you more on the dont apply stage?

Thoughts people? @Goro[/QUOTE]

I think that it might not be weighed as heavily as the other 3 sections at first, but failing it is still probably a red flag.

I am not sure if this was brought up, seeing as the OP had a reason for this thread.

Thoughts people? @Goro

Concur with both thoughts.

Thoughts people? @Goro
[/QUOTE]

Wait, I'm confused all over again. If this is true, then why are all the adcoms/SDNers telling people to retake if their score is in the low 50's/60's??

^^^
It seems to change on a daily basis...We will continue to debate this until the numbers come out at the end of this application, but the truth is no-one, including all the knowledgeable adcoms know exactly how this application cycle is going to play out. Each schools admissions process is slightly different, and this will continue to be the case.

Personally I have been stressing for the past 6 months+ over this stupid MCAT, I don't want to continue to be this neurotic. Am I happy with my scores? Hell no. But I believe that overall my application has merit to it, and will apply broadly, quit stressing out so much, do my best on each secondary and hope an institution shares the belief that I do that I have what it takes to have success in medschool and make a good physician.

I don't know how some people still have the energy to continue to be so neurotic about every detail in the application process. I'm pretty type-A and over-analyze everything, but damn, I'm exhausted lol.

Reactions: 3 users

Wait, I'm confused all over again. If this is true, then why are all the adcoms/SDNers telling people to retake if their score is in the low 50's/60's??[/QUOTE]

50th percentile on the old MCAT meant being somewhere between a 25 and a 26- closer to a 25 actually.
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/361080/data/combined13.pdf.pdf

Do you think it is wise to apply allo with the new MCAT "equivalent" of a 25-26?

@Gladiolus23

I don't know how some people still have the energy to continue to be so neurotic about every detail in the application process. I'm pretty type-A and over-analyze everything, but damn, I'm exhausted lol.

Forreal. I'm completely done worrying about it. It is what it is, and I'm moving forward with this hellacious process

My psych/soc section was fine, I just don't think the section provides much predicative value for future performance and seemed like a colossal waste of time.

Wait, I'm confused all over again. If this is true, then why are all the adcoms/SDNers telling people to retake if their score is in the low 50's/60's??

50th percentile on the old MCAT meant being somewhere between a 25 and a 26- closer to a 25 actually.
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/361080/data/combined13.pdf.pdf

Do you think it is wise to apply allo with the new MCAT "equivalent" of a 25-26?

@Gladiolus23[/QUOTE]

Let me give this a shot.

First off, I think the fact that there are so many varrying opinions on here should tell you one thing. No one knows for sure. I have heard that echoed on here, as well as when speaking with admission offices. Is an 80% safer than a 51%? Probably. How does it compare to the old MCAT? We would like to say that an 81% on this test is an 81% on the new test, but then again we do not know.

The biggest take away you can take here as an applicant is that most likeley this cycle will be different than other cycles for a multitude of reasons. It sounds like because of this, there will be other fascets of the application being pulled in for evaluation (Yes I know they have always done this.. however I firmly beleive this cycle will be moreso). Understanding this, it follows that if you are applying with the 51% or lower end, your chances increase the stronger the rest of your application is.

We can debate all day about how the cards are going to fall after data comes back from Step I/II comes out, however, until that point there really no absolute bench.

please explain how percentiles can be inflated
It sounds very strange, but it is actually possible. This is because a test taker's percentile ranking is not based only on how they scored in comparison to people who took the test on the same day they did (i.e. a person whose percentile ranking is 60th percentile has not necessarily achieved a score that is greater than or equal to the score of 60% of people who took the test on the same day as that person). The MCAT wants percentiles to be representative of how a person's score compares to all of the test takers, not just the ones who took it on the same day, so they have to adjust for the performances of others on many other test dates. This is further complicated by the fact that the test may be a little easier or harder on certain days, so they can't just go by the raw scores of all people on all test dates, so further adjustment is necessary.

This poses a problem for the new MCAT because there isn't past data to use to determine the percentile rankings for all test takers on all test dates. It is likely that in order to determine these percentiles, they relied at least partly on scoring data from the trial sections of the 2014 MCAT. This is problematic because all of the people who took those trial sections knew that they wouldn't be scored, so they didn't study. Heck, my trial section was about a subject that I had never even taken a class on, but I wasn't concerned because I knew the section wouldn't be scored. I still managed to score in the top quartile which I find completely ridiculous because I was mostly taking guesses that were somewhere between random and semi-educated. Since the people who are taking those sections now know that they will be scored, they have certainly studied, unlike all of us trial section takers. If the percentiles are based at all on the numbers from the 2014 MCAT trial sections, it is entirely possible that they will reveal themselves to be a little inflated one or two years down the road.

@Gladiolus23[/QUOTE]

Let me give this a shot.

First off, I think the fact that there are so many varrying opinions on here should tell you one thing. No one knows for sure. I have heard that echoed on here, as well as when speaking with admission offices. Is an 80% safer than a 51%? Probably. How does it compare to the old MCAT? We would like to say that an 81% on this test is an 81% on the new test, but then again we do not know.

[/QUOTE]

They aren't percents though. They are percentiles. You could add 7 more sections to the MCAT but the percentiles will carry the same general meaning. If you're in the 50th percentile, that is not good for allo. It doesn't really matter what is on the actual test when test takers will still be grouped into percentiles.

@gmbz

Reactions: 1 user
If the poorer score is in the Bio section, that's an auto-retake.

We simply don't know right now and it will take a few years to suss out, as gmbz wrote. What I predict happening is that contrary to what AAMC is hoping for, at some point we'll be able to say something like "500 (125x4) [or some other number combo] is the baseline, like 30 was on the old test"
I did about that on Bio but my overall was an 82-92%. I already retook once from a 23. do you still recommend a retake?

not likely, but @Goro did just say retake if bio is the 50-65
I think I read somewhere that the new mcat is supposed to show your strengths/weaknesses. Maybe if you're a solid test taker overall but have some problems with bio information due to your educational background. That doesn't seem so bad...

50-65 is equivalent to 9-10 for Bio section. Don't worry about retaking if you're in that range. . . and use MSAR as a guide. : P

Reactions: 1 user
I think I read somewhere that the new mcat is supposed to show your strengths/weaknesses. Maybe if you're a solid test taker overall but have some problems with bio information due to your educational background. That doesn't seem so bad...

50-65 is equivalent to 9-10 for Bio section. Don't worry about retaking if you're in that range. . . and use MSAR as a guide. : P
Although I'm pretty sure bio is the most important section. I doubt I will retake this cycle I already submitted, and this was also a retake I was just wondering thanks

My psych/soc section was fine, I just don't think the section provides much predicative value for future performance and seemed like a colossal waste of time.

Do you have a reason for thinking this?

So basically nobody knows.... Im just going to apply with the score I have and pray for a holistic review of my application.

I spoke to some admissions people from medical schools and they said they aren't even considering that section.

I spoke to some admissions people from medical schools and they said they aren't even considering that section.
If the scores are going to be recorded in the MSAR and reported to US Snooze, I'm confident that they will all be considered.