Jack Westin - CARS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

want2beadoc92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the course that Jack Westin offers on the CARS section worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Took his course. Went from about the 50th percentile to ~75th percentile. Take that info as you wish.

Is the course that Jack Westin offers on the CARS section worth it?

Took the old version with Jack. Helped me a ton. Super helpful for people who like to have a strategy when approaching sections. Went from 7 to 11 on the verbal section (49th to 93ish?). I would do it over again 100%.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was that the old one or the new one?

It was his old course for the new MCAT if that is what you are referring to. He has a pretty solid strategy, but I feel like he can only help so much. Don't go into the course thinking he will make you into a verbal jedi because it won't happen. He will give you the tools to improve and you must work on it yourself. A lot of it is mainly practice, so if you have the money, I'd say to try it out. If you are short on money, it may not be worth your time.

can anyone who's worked with him for the 2016 mcat please message me? i have some questions

For anyone debating whether or not to take his course, do it! We do questions from the AAMC passages in class and I can literally see how much I have improved over the past few weeks. I used to hate CARS more than anything, but Jack's strategy makes it really fun (I never in a million years thought I would use the word "fun" to describe any section on the MCAT -__-). Also I took a class with both PR and Kaplan, and Jack's strategy is the only one with which I have seen an actual improvement--and I finish all the passages on time! If you actually do the work I have no doubts that your score will go up after this course.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
For those of you who took the Jack Westin course, how long did it take for you to improve your CARs score? My last CARs score exam was 121 and I want to bump it up to 125 (minimum) by Mar 2017

For those of you who took the Jack Westin course, how long did it take for you to improve your CARs score? My last CARs score exam was 121 and I want to bump it up to 125 (minimum) by Mar 2017

If you do 2 hours of CARS practice a day (timed passages, thorough review, thoughtful analysis) you'll be able to hit your target. Jack will tell you the same thing, except you'll pay him 2k.

Reactions: 2 users
If you do 2 hours of CARS practice a day (timed passages, thorough review, thoughtful analysis) you'll be able to hit your target. Jack will tell you the same thing, except you'll pay him 2k.
I do not want to start an argument but want to provide a different perspective. I could tell anyone this for any section of the test it doesn't mean they'll improve . I honestly think Jacks course is for someone that wants to see a significant increase in their CARS score. If you're one or two points away for your goal score then I am not too sure if it'll help. If you're completely freaked you might bomb the MCAT because of this section and don't want to risk it but if you're constantly stuck below 125 on AAMC FL's or missing 3/5 on Q packs from many passages then seeking some structure and strategy will be more beneficial for you. Yes practice is key but what kind of practice you do is more beneficial.

I do not want to start an argument but want to provide a different perspective. I could tell anyone this for any section of the test it doesn't mean they'll improve . I honestly think Jacks course is for someone that wants to see a significant increase in their CARS score. If you're one or two points away for your goal score then I am not too sure if it'll help. If you're completely freaked you might bomb the MCAT because of this section and don't want to risk it but if you're constantly stuck below 125 on AAMC FL's or missing 3/5 on Q packs from many passages then seeking some structure and strategy will be more beneficial for you. Yes practice is key but what kind of practice you do is more beneficial.

More perspective is good- no argument taken. If $ isn't an issue, then by all means explore the resources available. At the end of the day it just comes down to work- whether one works hard using free resources available or not is up to each student.

Reactions: 1 user
More perspective is good- no argument taken. If $ isn't an issue, then by all means explore the resources available. At the end of the day it just comes down to work- whether one works hard using free resources available or not is up to each student.

Yeah I'm sure I'll have more whole perspective once I write the MCAT in Jan. I had to void my last exam due to a realization of I wasnt ready and didnt want to be stuck with a score below a 500 and never want to do that again. Still about 3 months out and definitely putting more emphasis on practice rather than content.