Jan. 2014 Examiners Unite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misplacedshadow

Underclass Hero
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Anyone here postpone their exam to or are planning to take the exam on January 2014? It's the final year in the old format without the new psychology/biochemistry section.

My reason for postponing to January is because I got a bit too lazy in the studying process and will be starting a new job soon, so my September date is too soon for me to be ready to tackle the beast. So I postponed to January. Anyone else out there in a similar situation, any way if there is we have about 5 months of studying to do for this exam.

I plan on starting tonight. Let's try to inspire, motivate, offer a shoulder to cry on, and give advice to our fellow peers who have postponed their exam to Jan or will plan to register in Jan.

Please don't act negatively towards your fellow sdners, or kick them when they are down. I know this happens a lot here in these forums. Keep your bad comments to yourself because we are all friends here. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Just did a quick calculation. If we start studying today we have approximately the following amount of time left to study.

5 months 8 days
161 days
23 weeks

LETS LET THE HARDCORE STUDYING BEGIN!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Just curious but I was wondering when the first day to register for the first MCATs in 2014 (January or February) will be?

Awesome, I will be taking the mcat this January. I already started doing some content review and I'm excited to start studying. Good luck to you too. And I believe registration for the January exam is around mid October.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also started some content review just looking over mostly physics concepts since I believe that's my weakest subject. My undergrad Physics professor literally let us bring a formula sheet to class on test day so I'm afraid I didn't really absorb much of the material.

Right now I have Princeton Review: Cracking The MCAT 2013-2014 and I'm just flipping through it. I'm slowly purchasing the other prep books from SN2's study schedule. Also I've been watching Khan Academy videos as I go along from subject to subject.

I plan on starting serious studying and review around mid-october

Nontrad here. I plan to take MCAT in Jan. I've done some content review(Completed the EK books) but still need a lot more in depth review so I'll be using TBR. I dont have stellar GPA, so I hope I can do well enough on the MCAT to get me in somewhere(Hopefully here in TX). I work full time and plan to start studying consistently in Sept. Anyone else working full time? How do you plan to fit studying in to your schedule?

I work full time as well in a research lab. Im basically gone over 12 hours a day 5 days a week. I will start getting up a few hours earlier and get used to it before I start studying mid September. I envy those who are privileged enough to be able to do nothing but study.

Non traditional. Full-time+ research.

Was scheduled and gunning for September 11th; recently averaging 32-33. Found out my dad needs to have open-heart surgery in two days. I'll probably be pretty busy with post-op care (to say nothing of needing to fly across the continental U.S.)

Bit of a momentum killer, but I've already mapped my schedule for the next 5 months. I was aiming for a 35+. But, with 5 extra months, I'm going for a 40.

Good luck, one and all! I'm intending to take the first exam in January, so I'll see you on the date-specific threads soon enough!

Study hard :D

tumblr_lukhhkGOX91qbn0z3o1_400.gif

Last edited:
Yay for this thread!

It's refreshing to be around more Full Time/Nontrads as well. My goal is to take it in January, God willing. At first I was thinking January was so far away but now I realize, it's not that far anymore. Orgo is my weakest subject, so I am using OSL to help brush up before serious content review. Primarily will use TPR and supplement passages with TBR and Kaplan QBANK. Any suggestions on study plans? I was going to use SN2's study plan but tweak it a little. I'm excited and hoping we all do well on this test and can leave it behind us.

Best wishes to everyone studying!!

I believe it is either the 2nd or 3rd week of October according to the past years.

I think I was allowed to register at the end of September.... but maybe my memory is faulty.

Best of luck to all those in this thread! Studying over Christmas break is tough, but you can do it!

I work full time as well in a research lab. Im basically gone over 12 hours a day 5 days a week. I will start getting up a few hours earlier and get used to it before I start studying mid September. I envy those who are privileged enough to be able to do nothing but study.
Non-trad here as well. Am supposed to do the August 28th exam but decided today to re-take in January as I'm not happy with my practice scores. I'll take the exam next week, work as hard as I can but still void it...just to see more problems.
I work full time as well, 56 hours/ week total. I was doing the SN2ed guide but got so far behind, I had to bail.
It's really hard to study for this and work But I don't have the means to not work at all (bills gotta be paid!), so I'll do the best I can. I just added SN2ed's guide to my Google calendar...which I modified, starting this Thursday and finishing January 25th (I have no idea when the actual date is) I also am going to take a 12-class prep course from Oct. 15- Dec 3rd at Emory to get some structured lessons as well.

I plan on studying 3 hours in the afternoon after work and 3 hours in the early morning before work.

Hoping I can stick to this!

I dont have stellar GPA, so I hope I can do well enough on the MCAT...

The first step here is to realize that GPA is not a very good predictor of MCAT performance. As much as possible, realize you have a clean slate and that the MCAT rewards altogether different skills and thought processes than school rewarded. There are countless examples of sub 3.4 GPAs that accompany MCAT scores of 32 and above.

Bit of a momentum killer, but I've already mapped my schedule for the next 5 months. I was aiming for a 35+. But, with 5 extra months, I'm going for a 40.

I can't tell you how much I'm rooting for you to do great. You are an inspiration. People who can face adversity with hope and optimism balanced by pragmatism go on to do amazing things. You will be one of those people.

I believe it is either the 2nd or 3rd week of October according to the past years.

That's basically what it's been the last four years at least. The people at AAMC have their routine down. Registration for the January, March, April and May exams starts mid-October and registration for June, July, August, and September exams starts in mid-February.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just curious, but are you January test takers applying this CURRENT cycle (enter class of 2014) or next cycle (enter class of 2015)?

I'm taking the January MCAT to apply to SMP/postbacc programs for Fall 2014.

I see a lot of you guys are working FT. I haven't dived into the bulk of studying but I'm currently jobless and not anticipating getting a FT job anytime soon (looking into PT jobs though). It makes planning my study schedule a little easier. Which works for me because I'm super worried about having to take the test twice. I really want to do well. The anxiety is already slowly creeping up :scared:

I'm in the process of ordering all the books now so I'll be ready to go by October.

Last edited:
I'm taking the January MCAT to apply to SMP programs for Fall 2014.

I see a lot of you guys are working FT. I haven't dived into the bulk of studying but I'm currently jobless and not anticipating getting a FT job anytime soon (looking into PT jobs though). It makes planning my study schedule a little easier. Which works for me because I'm super worried about having to take the test twice. I really want to do well. The anxiety is already slowly creeping up :scared:

I'm in the process of ordering all the books now so I'll be ready to go by October.

Brother I feel you. I am also taking the MCATs to apply to an SMP in the fall of 2014. Slacked off a bit too much at undergrad. Never again will I f*** up gpa.

I am also jobless. I was hoping to get a full time job. Many people here can pull off working 8 hours a day and study. I want to be one of them. Its just so hard to find a full time job. Anyone here know where I can find a full time job with decent wage in New York City.

I'm just feeling depressed. I used EK instead of TBR for my content and it shows I suppose on my practice tests (highest was 26 non AAMC and 21 AAMC).

I have the 2007 physics TBR book and the 2010 Gen Chem and orgo book.

I think I'm going to buy newer TBR books and do content review (again) for a month and a half.

I will be doing practice tests and passages from TPRH SW/ TBR for PS and BS. I will buy the TPRH verbal book since ek 101 told me I was doing decent but AAMC thought otherwise.

Any suggestions anyone?

I'm just feeling depressed. I used EK instead of TBR for my content and it shows I suppose on my practice tests (highest was 26 non AAMC and 21 AAMC).

I have the 2007 physics TBR book and the 2010 Gen Chem and orgo book.

I think I'm going to buy newer TBR books and do content review (again) for a month and a half.

I will be doing practice tests and passages from TPRH SW/ TBR for PS and BS. I will buy the TPRH verbal book since ek 101 told me I was doing decent but AAMC thought otherwise.

Any suggestions anyone?

You're doing practice tests already?

I just ordered TBR books. Heard they take up to 4 weeks to deliver.

Misplacedshadow, I'm a woman wasn't sure if you were aware :laugh: . Sorry about your job woes, if it means anything just think you'll have more time to study for the MCAT and rock it.

Misplacedshadow, I'm a woman wasn't sure if you were aware :laugh: . Sorry about your job woes, if it means anything just think you'll have more time to study for the MCAT and rock it.

Well, I was going to take a sept 7th mcat in a few weeks but my scores aren't where I want them to be. I feel like I need better material and I think having an updated set of TBR books for PS should help me.

ops sorry sister. No I really need to find a job. Parents wont get off my back since I am not in medical school and I had been volunteering at my research lab for two years. Parents will murder me if I dont start working soon.

Does anyone have a good plan when they start studying again?

Are you guys doing content again or straight testing? Spinach method?

What's everyone's gameplan?

Does anyone have a good plan when they start studying again?

Are you guys doing content again or straight testing? Spinach method?

What's everyone's gameplan?

I plan on doing a thorough content review my first 2-3 months and then full lengths the final months before my exam.

I'm taking the January MCAT to apply to SMP programs for Fall 2014.

Hey justalittlestar, which SMPs are you planning on applying to?

Nice thread, will definitely be following.

I've just started studying. It's going to be tough with all the other activities I'm starting now too. I'll be a reapplicant for the 2015 entering class.

Another January 2014 taker here (eh, maybe February). Only taking 13 hrs this semester so that I have more time to study.

It's pretty surreal that i'm about to start studying for this thing... Good luck to everyone! I'm sure i'll be in this thread pretty routinely.

January 2014 MCAT Re-Taker! I took the exam a year ago Aug 17th! Totally got owned by the exam! I was suppose to study this past semester for the exam but life/personal problems happened! However I plan to destroy this beast of exam this time. I have the TBR and EK + 1001 series! So i think this time I should be successful! I am only working part-time and taking only one class! So I plan to study for MCAT Mon-Fri 8-5ish! I need all the time I can get because I want to make sure my score is up to par this time!! Good luck to everyone else begging their MCAT studies for the 1st time or for a repeat!! We got this!!!!

Cool, nice to meet all you Jan. MCATers. Keep us posted on all the things you are upto. Tomorrow I will begin studying Orgo I.

Also in addition to that I will continue my job hunt for a full time job. Time to polish up De Old Resume and add some sugar coating. If anyone knows a place I can find a decent full time job in New York City, please share. Right now I am looking for Research Lab Technician jobs. Something that's 9:00AM-5:00PM, Monday-Friday.

I plan to do some reading and planning starting the first week of September. I will then start using The 4 month schedule on the 23rd and follow it strictly. I have TBR, EK, and managed to pick up unmarked TPRH workbooks including verbal for $10 each at half priced books :)

I plan to do some reading and planning starting the first week of September. I will then start using The 4 month schedule on the 23rd and follow it strictly. I have TBR, EK, and managed to pick up unmarked TPRH workbooks including verbal for $10 each at half priced books :)

Wow thats not bad for TPRH books! I have verbal but I could really use the Science workbooks! I am still searching for some. I also plan to start up next week. I been sick for the past few days and just now starting to get better. Goodluck and keep us updated on your progress!

I need to buy an updated TBR physics (because I am TERRIBLE at it) and TPRH verbal. Then ill have all TBR material, all ek 1001 material and both TPRH sw and verbal.

Has anyone used TPR (Princeton) as content review? Did they like it? I've read it doesn't take as many pages to explain compared to TBR.

I need to buy an updated TBR physics (because I am TERRIBLE at it) and TPRH verbal. Then ill have all TBR material, all ek 1001 material and both TPRH sw and verbal.

Has anyone used TPR (Princeton) as content review? Did they like it? I've read it doesn't take as many pages to explain compared to TBR.

TBR vs TPR is a common debate. Both are great, I have all 4 companies. I think I would choose TBR over it tho honestly. I'm taking my mcat tomorrow and avging around a 32, and I wish I used TBR earlier because I only used EK mainly. TPR is hardcore content review as well but TBR has a very good way of answer questioning that TPR just doesn't have (TPR is more like a textbook hardcore studying book, whereas TBR is more of a logical POE and MCAT focused approach).
TPRH for science and TBR passages for science are great to use. EK 1001 is good for building a foundation, although I definitely couldn't finish all 4k questions haha. I only studied 6 weeks >_<

TBR vs TPR is a common debate. Both are great, I have all 4 companies. I think I would choose TBR over it tho honestly. I'm taking my mcat tomorrow and avging around a 32, and I wish I used TBR earlier because I only used EK mainly. TPR is hardcore content review as well but TBR has a very good way of answer questioning that TPR just doesn't have (TPR is more like a textbook hardcore studying book, whereas TBR is more of a logical POE and MCAT focused approach).
TPRH for science and TBR passages for science are great to use. EK 1001 is good for building a foundation, although I definitely couldn't finish all 4k questions haha. I only studied 6 weeks >_<

That's some good information. I think my biggest problem was a "MCAT mode" mode of thinking. So, if TBR helps in that aspect (sad that I don't know this as I have older sets in my room but used EK) then I should purchase at least a newer physics book. I have their 2007 edition for physics and 2010 for gen and orgo Chem.

Would 2010 still be sufficient for gen chem? Physics I know I want to update as it doesn't have the do every third passage outline.

That's some good information. I think my biggest problem was a "MCAT mode" mode of thinking. So, if TBR helps in that aspect (sad that I don't know this as I have older sets in my room but used EK) then I should purchase at least a newer physics book. I have their 2007 edition for physics and 2010 for gen and orgo Chem.

Would 2010 still be sufficient for gen chem? Physics I know I want to update as it doesn't have the do every third passage outline.

I have the 2012 BR set and I can def say that the physics books are really great. I do not know however if the ed's change a lot from year to year. My physics book also doesn't have the every third passage outlined. I always though that was Sned's mcat study plan motto. But I could be wrong.

I have the 2012 BR set and I can def say that the physics books are really great. I do not know however if the ed's change a lot from year to year. My physics book also doesn't have the every third passage outlined. I always though that was Sned's mcat study plan motto. But I could be wrong.

Well, I know in my 2010 gen chem book, it says to do phase 1 for concepts then phase 2 to be completed in a certain tim and finally phase 3 for review.

So, the newer physics book isn't like that?

Well, I know in my 2010 gen chem book, it says to do phase 1 for concepts then phase 2 to be completed in a certain tim and finally phase 3 for review.

So, the newer physics book isn't like that?

In my book it has two sections the first is to be done not timed to see how well you understand the concepts. Then the next section is basically like a MCAT style Physics section but just with for Ex. translational motion being the only topic. That is what I was referring to. It still has passages and discretes. Is this how yours is?

Hey everyone. I am a new to SDN and this is my first post. I saw this thread and thought I would say hi.

I am a MS student and will hopefully be finished with my thesis and defense by April giving me plenty of time to apply for the 2014 cycle. I am finished with all my course work for the MS program so I will just be doing research while studying. I will also TA a Structural Biochem class in January so I will not be as busy while studying. I intend to begin studying the middle of September (1st week of school for UCs) and study through until the end of January when I intend on taking the exam.

I see a lot of people saying they are beginning to study now. Thats fine if you can maintain a steady pace, remember the information and not get burned out. However, 5 months is a long time to study consistently without having one of the aforementioned happen to you. I wish you all luck.

I also intent on using the 4 month SN2 method but have been running into difficulties adding it to iCal and google calendar. Once I figure it out I will load it on here for anyone who wants it.

Good luck and Cool Runnings!

In my book it has two sections the first is to be done not timed to see how well you understand the concepts. Then the next section is basically like a MCAT style Physics section but just with for Ex. translational motion being the only topic. That is what I was referring to. It still has passages and discretes. Is this how yours is?

Mine is just 10 passages or so after a chapter and then it says to do some. Skip around and do some more. Nothing is really laid out for you.

Nice thread, will definitely be following.

I've just started studying. It's going to be tough with all the other activities I'm starting now too. I'll be a reapplicant for the 2015 entering class.

Are you taking a gap year? If so I am as well! I just graduated this past May but I just felt like I needed more time to study for this exam and to not rush into it. I want to make sure I have a good chance at good schools and not just my state schools.

I would suggest this: Read the chapter and do the phase 1 questions. Then read another chapter the next day and do the phase 1 questions. Now go back after a day or so and do the rest of the questions/passages for the first chapter. (Give yourself breaks between the same material, it will strengthen your memory). Continue this on for the rest. Make sure that for every question that you get wrong, flashcard it. Flashcard all tricks and shortcuts. Review flashcards all the time over time so you don't forget your mistakes. Flashcard anything you have difficulty with so overtime you'll have it down cold.
Start with your worst subjects first, since those will be the ones that will get you pts off on the real exams. But of course don't ignore your strengths.

I hear TBR is really good but I just ordered Nova Physics just in case TBR is too tough to keep up with. Physics is all I've been concentrating on at the moment, just going over each concept once to see where my strengths and weaknesses are -- chem and ochem will be next. For some reason, I find the idea of BS and verbal less intimidating.

I don't really consider what I'm doing studying so much as familiarizing myself with the topics. I'm not expecting to burnout because I'm not really on a rigorous study schedule yet.

Rescheduled after new job + move. I'm an RA full time, so it'll be interesting to see how I fit studying into my schedule. Going to need some motivation!

Wow thats not bad for TPRH books! I have verbal but I could really use the Science workbooks! I am still searching for some. I also plan to start up next week. I been sick for the past few days and just now starting to get better. Goodluck and keep us updated on your progress!

Definitely hit up your local book stores. People on here , eBay, and Amazon tend to charge more haha. I also found some Kaplan "cheat sheets" for each subject that they were selling individually for 2-3 dollars. I'm thinking they'll be useful for creating flash cards at the least. I ordered all but verbal TBR from someone on here. Decided to order verbal TBR from them directly and it will be here Friday. Hopefully that will give me enough verbal passages for the 4 month plan. Currently trying to track down an unmarked 2002 EK 101 Verbal but so far they're overpriced or marked up. Anyhow good luck and get well.. No fun studying sick.

Hey everyone here is the SN2 schedule I made for those wishing to take the exam in January. I made this schedule for January 24, 2014 and is SN2s 4 month version. I take no credit for making the schedule that should go to SN2. I just moved the dates over to start September 23, 2013 and end January 24, 2014. I hope this helps at least one person. Thanks.

It is a .ics file.

Hey everyone here is the SN2 schedule I made for those wishing to take the exam in January. I made this schedule for January 24, 2014 and is SN2s 4 month version. I take no credit for making the schedule that should go to SN2. I just moved the dates over to start September 23, 2013 and end January 24, 2014. I hope this helps at least one person. Thanks.

It is a .ics file.

Hmm I cant access the link from the SDN app. Maybe I need to go on the official website to do so. Thanks for making this I am sure it will be very useful for everyone!

Just out of curiosity how many of you have graduated or plan to grad this upcoming spring to apply during the 2014-2015 cycle?

Definitely hit up your local book stores. People on here , eBay, and Amazon tend to charge more haha. I also found some Kaplan "cheat sheets" for each subject that they were selling individually for 2-3 dollars. I'm thinking they'll be useful for creating flash cards at the least. I ordered all but verbal TBR from someone on here. Decided to order verbal TBR from them directly and it will be here Friday. Hopefully that will give me enough verbal passages for the 4 month plan. Currently trying to track down an unmarked 2002 EK 101 Verbal but so far they're overpriced or marked up. Anyhow good luck and get well.. No fun studying sick.

I was also thinking of purchasing the BR Verbal book because I am half wY through the EK 101 but I do also have TPRH Verb. I just think i also need extra practice in the verbal area. Which was my lowest score on the MCAT I took last year.