January 2016 MCAT study buddies!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jabar786

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Would anyone like to form a study group for the January 2016 MCAT?

I know its far in advance, but I'm recovering from surgery for 5-6 months and have nothing else to do. Ill be following the 100days to MCAT success, http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-mcat-2015-100-days-to-mcat-success.1101251/

(except itll be drawn out over more than 100 days)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm down. I tried to do too much for the April mcat and burned out trying to balance it with work. I figure if I draw out my studying and have a few people to check in with/ keep me accountable this round of studying will be more successful.

I have EK and Kaplan

I'm down. I tried to do too much for the April mcat and burned out trying to balance it with work. I figure if I draw out my studying and have a few people to check in with/ keep me accountable this round of studying will be more successful.

I have EK and Kaplan

Nice, when are you looking to start?

I am planning to take the January 2016 MCAT, too.

I am so relieved they will be offering it... I was afraid I would have to wait until next April. I am planning on a roughly 4-month study schedule (hopefully this works out), so will probably start studying in September.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am planning to take the January 2016 MCAT, too.

I am so relieved they will be offering it... I was afraid I would have to wait until next April. I am planning on a roughly 4-month study schedule (hopefully this works out), so will probably start studying in September.
I started this week passively studying but will devote full time in September. I have a few hours of down time at work per night so I began reading Kaplan on my kindle. Quitting my job and moving home in August so I'll have a lot more time.

I'm glad it's offered in January too. I'm planning on applying to SMPs next year so an April test date would really screw me for that. Wish I could have took it this September but it just didn't work out.

I started this week passively studying but will devote full time in September. I have a few hours of down time at work per night so I began reading Kaplan on my kindle. Quitting my job and moving home in August so I'll have a lot more time.

I'm glad it's offered in January too. I'm planning on applying to SMPs next year so an April test date would really screw me for that. Wish I could have took it this September but it just didn't work out.

I feel your pain! I had previously plans to take the old MCAT, but would have had to study for it while working full-time... in a job that is more like 60-70 hrs/week full-time.... and I was afraid I was going to bomb it, so I postponed. I am planning to work part-time while studying this time around, so hopefully it will go well.

I am hoping we will have a little more of an advantage not being the absolute first group to take the new MCAT. Hopefully some better/more study materials, practice exams, etc. will come out in the next few months.

Good luck to you!

Hey guys! I would love to join a study group too! Add me on Skype so we can review on there! yosanw1

Hey guys,

I know its far in advance, but I'm recovering from surgery for 5-6 months and have nothing else to do. Ill be following the 100days to MCAT success, http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-mcat-2015-100-days-to-mcat-success.1101251/

Boomsauce for people having surgery and using the down time to MCAT study. That would also be my plan...

Reactions: 1 users
hey yall, ill be taking the MCAT in January as well. I have my books ready..What books are guys using?

I think I will be using TBR and some EK... but I need to look into resources catered to the new test. I have heard some good things about the khan academy videos, so might include those, too. Not sure yet about what I'll use for psych/soc.

I am worried about practice tests, though! Anyone know what the best source is, since AAMC currently only has one? I think they are supposed to put out a second one this year, but not sure when.

I think I will be using TBR and some EK... but I need to look into resources catered to the new test. I have heard some good things about the khan academy videos, so might include those, too. Not sure yet about what I'll use for psych/soc.

I am worried about practice tests, though! Anyone know what the best source is, since AAMC currently only has one? I think they are supposed to put out a second one this year, but not sure when.
Check out the reddit MCAT FAQ page. It has a compilation of many resources regarding practice tests, study materials, and courses. https://www.reddit.com/r/Mcat/wiki/mcat2015faq/practiceexams

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I'm taking my test this Sept but I'd be down to do some review/ passage with you guys. LMK.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I'm glad I found more people who are getting ready to take this MCAT in January. I'm easing into it again after cramming the past couple months and getting overwhelmed. Have any of you used the EK 1001 books or know good books for physics?

Hey guys! I would love to join a study group too! Add me on Skype so we can review on there! yosanw1

Nice, my skype is the same as here, jabar786. Please add me

Is there a Skype group where we can just bounce questions off one another? I was in another skype group but it's flooded with constant random conversations. I think it would be awesome just to have a group dedicated to questions only. Thoughts?

Edit: My Skype is Damocker

If you can wait a few weeks, the new BR organic chemistry and biochemistry book will be out. That will be better for the current test than the 2013 version. I'm not sure when they plan to release the psych book, but it is really good.

Hey guys,
I'm already part of a group. We meet up every night to review passages from all sections and also meet up with one another to practice. PM your skype IDs and I'll add you to the group.

how are you going t0 prepare. I'm definitely taking a physiology, biochem and psychology/sociology course. i have heard that biochem is heavy for this exam and the review book for psychology/sociology doesn't cover everything that you should know.

Hello all! I would love to study with you via Skype. My Skype name is Dari Meta.

When will you be starting?

Thanks

Hey my skype name is hero1345679. I have rescheduled my test to January. Please let me know if you want to study

Hey guys,

I know its far in advance, but I'm recovering from surgery for 5-6 months and have nothing else to do. Ill be following the 100days to MCAT success.

There's a 120 day schedule I just found. I plan on starting in September which makes this one perfect. It's this schedule, which I copied from a link so hopefully it works.

My old score is outdated, so I have to tackle the beast again. My plan is to use TBR for all of my science review, EK for CARS, TBR for sociology, and Khan Academy for supplement. Nothing beats TBR for the sciences, so I figure with more biochemistry added, it can't get any better than that. I plan to do both AAMC FLs, all three TBR FLs, and probably pick up either TPR or EK exams for variety.

Hey I am interested. I am willing to compile all the skype names into one document and send them out and get stuff started if this hasn't happened already. Let me know! I will get right on it! I start studying in 2 weeks.

Hey everyone, add me on skype please edzihic.
Also I'm in orange county near UCI if anyone wants to meet at a library study/review together. I plan on starting middle of next week. I have the 9th edition of EK. Any suggestions of which other set to get? Leaning on TBR but what are pros and cons of each? Has any company done a better job then the others updating for the new exam?
I received at 32 on the previous version using TPR but it will be outdated for next years cycle. Need people to keep me on track, motivate eachother, HELP eachother

Same here. ssyeon0325
I live near Rowland heights area. I definitely need some motivation. I am taking general bio 2 for retake as well as genetics at the same time at a community college.

Hey I am interested. I am willing to compile all the skype names into one document and send them out and get stuff started if this hasn't happened already. Let me know! I will get right on it! I start studying in 2 weeks.

Do it! Then send it out.

Why don't we pick a day and time in a particular timezone --lets do Central just to pick one--(maybe an evening or something?) and if you want to jump on skype with the list made by jballantine, then groovy. If not, oh well, maybe the following week.

When works for everyone? I'm sitting pretty open....

Hi Guys, I am also joining this thread. Just starting prep for mcats and planning to take it in January. I am really not sure where to start and so overwhelmed with all of the options. I have the Kaplan full subject review, but need practice tests. I am also interested in a study group. I live in the North East.

I'm also down for something more local. I live in Manhattan if anyone is interested in meeting up

anyone want to swap study schedules to make sure the other person doesn't get distracted and stays on top of their studying?

I am always distracted and then I end up staying up all night finishing the day's work. If I knew I had to touch base with someone at the end of the day and talk about what I got done, I would feel more motivated and almost pressured to get stuff done. If there is anyone else who is like me, we can be buddies and help each other :)

I am interested in a skype study group. My skype id is sona.m30

Also, would anyone be interested in doing some psych/soc practice? I have gone over the content and done some practice (using the Kaplan Psych/Soc book) and Barron's text and have been using Khan Academy. We can share practice materials and work through them.

I'm also using the next step 100 days to MCAT success, but I tweaked it a little to accelerate it. I'm starting today. I also work as a researcher full time and volunteer so my schedule will be hellish for the next couple of days. If anyone is just starting and would like to help keep each other accountable, hit me up.

I'm also using the next step 100 days to MCAT success, but I tweaked it a little to accelerate it. I'm starting today. I also work as a researcher full time and volunteer so my schedule will be hellish for the next couple of days. If anyone is just starting and would like to help keep each other accountable, hit me up.

What's your skype id?

Hello everyone,

I know its been a while but I had to return to home country because my dad passed away. I hadn't been back for 12 years so, I stayed much longer than anticipated. But now Im back and ready to take on the MCAT!
If anyone visiting this thread is interested in contacting me for study group or anything else (pg only), hit me up on skype: screen name: jabar786 0. Thats a zero at the end, they made me add a last name.
Cheers GL HF.

anyone want to swap study schedules to make sure the other person doesn't get distracted and stays on top of their studying?

I am always distracted and then I end up staying up all night finishing the day's work. If I knew I had to touch base with someone at the end of the day and talk about what I got done, I would feel more motivated and almost pressured to get stuff done. If there is anyone else who is like me, we can be buddies and help each other :)
Yeah sure, my skype id is jabar786 0

Hey guys,
I'm already part of a group. We meet up every night to review passages from all sections and also meet up with one another to practice. PM your skype IDs and I'll add you to the group.

Do you still have a group running? I would like to join.

Hello everyone,

I know its been a while but I had to return to home country because my dad passed away. I hadn't been back for 12 years so, I stayed much longer than anticipated. But now Im back and ready to take on the MCAT!
If anyone visiting this thread is interested in contacting me for study group or anything else (pg only), hit me up on skype: screen name: jabar786 0. Thats a zero at the end, they made me add a last name.
Cheers GL HF.
Hang in there man! It's tough to lose someone you care about (and take an exam right after!)

Hang in there man! It's tough to lose someone you care about (and take an exam right after!)

Thank you. Im really glad I took the couple months off and reconnected with my family and old friends. Otherwise I'd be zombying out all the time.

I am interested in a skype study group. My skype id is sona.m30

Also, would anyone be interested in doing some psych/soc practice? I have gone over the content and done some practice (using the Kaplan Psych/Soc book) and Barron's text and have been using Khan Academy. We can share practice materials and work through them.
Yeah sure, my skype id is jabar786 0
Is there anyone in Lansing/Detroit Michigan area?

my skype id is DrNatPat :)
has a group been started? if not I can make one and start adding people!

making the group now! please reply to this if you want to be added so I don't leave anyone out

Edit: I think I need to add you guys as contacts first to invite you to the group. So don't be alarmed when you see my contact request lol

Last edited:
making the group now! please reply to this if you want to be added so I don't leave anyone out

Edit: I think I need to add you guys as contacts first to invite you to the group. So don't be alarmed when you see my contact request lol

Awesome, Thanks